Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57

Thread: Advice needed for tripods - wind stability and other advice

  1. #41

    Default Re: Advice needed for tripods - avoid getting blown over by the wind

    Hey guys,

    Sorry again. Can I ask,

    1. What do the symbols in the red boxes stand for?
    2. The symbol in the green box is the weight of the tripod right?
    3. And the symbol in the blue box is the weight the hook can tank?
    4. Came across an article saying that the fewer the sections, the better. Is this true? Convenience aside, any other reasons?
    5. Dumb question but, it doesn't matter what ballhead right - it fits into all DSLRs generally? I'm using a D5300.

    *Sorry there's some formatting error. The second image is the one.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by MachCurve; 25th April 2015 at 02:45 PM.

  2. #42
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Advice needed for tripods - avoid getting blown over by the wind

    Quote Originally Posted by MachCurve View Post
    Hey guys,

    Sorry again. Can I ask,

    1. What do the symbols in the red boxes stand for?
    2. The symbol in the green box is the weight of the tripod right?
    3. And the symbol in the blue box is the weight the hook can tank?
    4. Came across an article saying that the fewer the sections, the better. Is this true? Convenience aside, any other reasons?
    5. Dumb question but, it doesn't matter what ballhead right - it fits into all DSLRs generally? I'm using a D5300.

    *Sorry there's some formatting error. The second image is the one.
    1, Outer tube (the upper section) and Inner tube the (lowest section)
    2, yes,
    3, load of the tripod
    4, more sections, the shorter tripod can be once collapsed. less sections, more stable the tripod can be when deployed.
    5, correction, camera attach to the ball head, not ball head attach to the camera. and what ballhead does matter, you want to choose one which able to support the weight of your camera set up (camera body plus lens plus whatever thing you attach to your camera). and since D5300 kit set is not very heavy, the smaller lower end Sirui ball head should be adequate.
    Last edited by catchlights; 25th April 2015 at 03:01 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  3. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    1, Outer tube (the upper section) and Inner tube the (lowest section) 2, yes, 3, load of the tripod 4, more sections, the shorter tripod can be once collapsed. less sections, more stable the tripod can be when deployed. 5, correction, camera attach to the ball head, not ball head attach to the camera. and what ballhead does matter, you want to choose one which able to support the weight of your camera set up (camera body plus lens plus whatever thing you attach to your camera). and since D5300 kit set is not very heavy, the smaller lower end Sirui ball head should be adequate.

    Hmm, then how do I know how much weight the hook of the tripod can tank?

    I should be using the freebie that comes along with the Sirui tripod though. That should do fine right?

  4. #44
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Advice needed for tripods - avoid getting blown over by the wind

    Quote Originally Posted by MachCurve View Post
    Hmm, then how do I know how much weight the hook of the tripod can tank?

    I should be using the freebie that comes along with the Sirui tripod though. That should do fine right?
    why you bother so much about how much weight the hood can take, AFAIK, no tripod manufactures stated the load of the hood.
    didn't you read carefully everyone were saying the camera bag is touching the ground and the bungee cord is pulling the tripod down. you want to increase the stability of the tripod, not to wearing the tripod down by adding on unnecessary loads.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  5. #45

    Default Re: Advice needed for tripods - avoid getting blown over by the wind

    Hey guys, I just bought a Sirui! Thanks all for the tips.

    Can I check with you guys, how do I register warranty for this? I was told that all I need to do is keep the receipt but it sounds a little too lax.

  6. #46
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Advice needed for tripods - avoid getting blown over by the wind

    Quote Originally Posted by MachCurve View Post
    Hey guys, I just bought a Sirui! Thanks all for the tips.

    Can I check with you guys, how do I register warranty for this? I was told that all I need to do is keep the receipt but it sounds a little too lax.
    they have already said keep the receipt "period"

    anyway, not so long ago, my carbon fibre tripod one of the leg got jammed, so I bring my tripod there without receipt, cos I can't find it.
    they just fix it for me without seeing the receipt, and without charge.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #47

    Default Re: Advice needed for tripods - avoid getting blown over by the wind

    Quote Originally Posted by MachCurve View Post
    Hey guys, I just bought a Sirui! Thanks all for the tips.

    Can I check with you guys, how do I register warranty for this? I was told that all I need to do is keep the receipt but it sounds a little too lax.
    Keep the receipt, anything just go back to TK.

    I went to service my tripod a few times and never even need to produce the receipt.

    By looking at your tripod, they can roughly tell the production date already.

  8. #48

    Default

    I was browsing through your thread and it seems to me that the tripod height is your main concern. I would say then go for taller tripod as u have more options to adjust the height level. The downside is probably heavier and slightly less stable but the wind should not be an issue anymore.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Advice needed for tripods - avoid getting blown over by the wind

    Alright thanks folks!

    I got a slightly taller one in the end - about 1.5m. Realised that height isn't really much an issue!

  10. #50
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Advice needed for tripods - avoid getting blown over by the wind

    Quote Originally Posted by MachCurve View Post
    Realised that height isn't really much an issue!
    Told ya... It only becomes an issue in other uses... but that doesnt't concern you much. remember to turn off VR when your camera is on the tripod.

  11. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Told ya... It only becomes an issue in other uses... but that doesnt't concern you much. remember to turn off VR when your camera is on the tripod.

    Alright! Should the VR be switched off even if the tripod is shaking a lil due to strong winds or sth?

  12. #52
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MachCurve View Post
    Alright! Should the VR be switched off even if the tripod is shaking a lil due to strong winds or sth?
    As long as on tripod, switch off the IS/VR/VC/OSS (depending on which brand of lens you use).

  13. #53
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Advice needed for tripods - avoid getting blown over by the wind

    Quote Originally Posted by MachCurve View Post
    Alright! Should the VR be switched off even if the tripod is shaking a lil due to strong winds or sth?
    Because the stabilizer will try to compensate for movement shake when there is none and will result in a not-as-sharp picture.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  14. #54
    Senior Member richiemccaw1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,101

    Default Re: Advice needed for tripods - avoid getting blown over by the wind

    At the rate we are going, may I suggest that we turn this into a tripod sticky for all newcomers/rookies? Quite a bit of good material being shared here. We are almost going full circle with regards to buying and using a tripod!

  15. #55

    Default Re: Advice needed for tripods - avoid getting blown over by the wind

    Also, lens hood and dangling camera straps also acts like a parachute, they're excellent in catching wind, and put your tripod sturdiness to the extreme test.
    What I really missed most, is my first SLR. An Olympus OM2 with the Zuiko 35mm f/1.4, back in 1982!

  16. #56
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Advice needed for tripods - avoid getting blown over by the wind

    Quote Originally Posted by richiemccaw1 View Post
    At the rate we are going, may I suggest that we turn this into a tripod sticky for all newcomers/rookies? Quite a bit of good material being shared here. We are almost going full circle with regards to buying and using a tripod!
    Made sticky...

  17. #57

    Default Re: Advice needed for tripods - wind stability and other advice

    Just curious, for choosing tripod, how much does the max load matters? 3kg 5kg 8kg? Is 5kg enough for casual use?

    Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •