Thread: Lens Qns

Default Lens Qns

If I've got the body of a camera only. What is the mininum lens I shall get for myself inorder to start shooting? How much will it going to be?

Default Re: Lens Qns

A 50mm normal lens, cheap, sharp and good.

If range is what you concern: 28~200mm is a good coverage walk around lens.

Btw, what camera body are you having now?

Haven had one but planning to get D70S. still in consideration. Need to find out the hidden cost and the exact cost to start this expensive hobby

the kit lens with D70s is a good start. the 50mm f1.8 is also a good n cheap lens that you can consider.

A D70s body, plus the kit lens (or the 50mm f1.8), and 1GB CF card, and a good-enough computer, maybe a dry-cabi, thats all u need to start, not much hidden cost really.

However, later on u will become envy (or greedy), then u might dream about a expensive pro lens, a TTL flashlight, etc, but thats all under yr control, these items are "what u want", not "what u need".

Yes, the kit lens of the D70 is good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    However, later on u will become envy (or greedy), then u might dream about a expensive pro lens, a TTL flashlight, etc, but thats all under yr control, these items are "what u want", not "what u need".
    hahahah....and THAT REALLY is the hidden cost of photography! Spending too much time reading into all the stuff hidden in all the forum pages on lens equipment and keeping up with the "Jones".

no hard and fast rules... depends on what your interest is... to start maybe a wide range lens is good. ie.28-200mm
    lens with no fixed aperture are cheaper...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Yes, the kit lens of the D70 is good enough.
    yes D70 kit lens is good for a starter lens
    it is small, light, cheap, good range and sharp

Quote Originally Posted by blurrblurr
    Haven had one but planning to get D70S. still in consideration. Need to find out the hidden cost and the exact cost to start this expensive hobby
    Like someone else here mentioned..there really is no fix rule as to what lens to start with.

But given that "kit lens" that comes with cameras are sold at cheaper price then when sold separately, it makes more sense, money wise, to go for it. ( if you have not bought a body yet) At this stage of your learning period, getting all the high end lens is not going to serve you any better then just having a kit lens.

Contrary to another suggestion of purchasing a 50mm prime lens, I would advise not to take that route. For one, on a digital camera (with the 1.5X focal length factor) it is very limiting as it will be functioning almost like a telephoto lens....meaning you have to stand further back when shooting group shots and shoots subjects in a house, large object in a small room and definitely not a wide city scene. As it gets so limiting with a 50mm, you might get discouraged quicker then you would learn to appreciate the hobby of photography or end up buyinga new lens and throwing this one aside. Granted, the 50mm is a great lens to own but don't set such goal just yet.

I use to go around with my SLR F3 shooting with only a 50mm lens years ago ...which is great for practicing creative shooting and limiting my lens force me to think more to get as much out of that focal lenght. But that is a practice in visual conceptualising not about learning to use a camera. And of course by that point in time (using only a 50mm in that manner) I am already very comfortable with all the lens, camera options,etc.

But for a newbie starting out...a kit lens with a lot of wide and telephoto lenghts will be good. Because during days you are not in the mood to be in "study and experiment mode" you can still use your camera and lens to do casual shooting of your family outing...or other social event witout worry if you are limited by space to cramp everything in or to get that tight crop portrait. You can still get pretty creative with a kit lens.

Don't be talked into that you need super good sharp pro level lens to shoot. At this point of your development you are not ready for that for at least another year down the road if you are serious about it. Frankly you would not be able to tell much of a difference at this stage most of the time...so it would be a real waste of your investment. Don't get too wrap up with the hype and the buy-bug especially if you are practical and might need some of your vitamin "M" for your wifey or girl girl outing heh. Also buy buy buy without really thinking can in fact kill your interest in the hobby.

My advice get one of those newer kit lens or if you want to save abit ( if you already bought a camera body like D70s eg ) then get a second hand 18mm-70mm DX kit lens. It is still very new and it is actually a pretty good buy. (some as low as SDG$300) I still have that as my main lens on my D70 all this time though I have others. It is a very flexible zoom lens to learn with and help you capture good family pictures too. That's my two cents.....

I agree with bro Sammy888 above.

Start with kit lens. I didn't think kit lens was so great until I bought the D50 with kit lens...hey, I'm a convert now. Somemore, many say the D50 kit lens is not as great as the D70 kit lens so you can imgaine what oyu can do with the D70 kit lens????? D50 kit lens is 18-55 whereas the D70 kit lens is 18-70. You can buy both on the B& S section second hand (well, many sell of their new kit lens so it's actually first hand). Whatever it is, buy kit lens together with body is cheaper.

Now if you already have the body, then consider a third party lens with broad range, eg 18-200mm or 28-200, Tamron or Sigma for Nikon or Canon mounts (whichever body you have). They are "good enough" and cost much lower than equivalent first party lens. They are also good enough for walkabouts without worrying about carrying additional lens, changing lens, etc. If you have not used an SLR before, switching lens while on shoot is not easy. If you have a bit more money then go for first party lens. And if you have a bit more than that then go for first party lens specially built for digital bodies, etc... get the picture?

understooded! well think I know what I want now.