Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advise for Wedding shoot with PowerShot S2

Default Re: Advise for Wedding shoot with PowerShot S2

Quote Originally Posted by kevyan
    Thank you. But I feel that feedback #07 is saying that I don't know anything.

I think what I can do is don't talk to the official photographer, don't be in his/her way.

It seems like that are more people discouranging than encouraging one to be a 'semi-officail photographer'.

It really makes me wonder how did the official wedding photographer learn the skill initially.

hi Kevyan, please dun take it seriously. just a general comment.
    not refering to you.

2 ways you can look at it...

Person A
    1) learns from looking at others
    2) practice whatever he read up in theory by not obstructing

Person B
    1) wants to learn through practical
    2) rather use trial and error

so many types of people around us...

It's not discouraging you, just want you to know what to expect as sometimes its quite difficult to see others point of view..

Rest Assure. i got nothing against anyone ..
    cheers..

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    It always seems that the wedding realm is a pasture full of greenery, easy piece of cake to sink your teeth in.

We're not saying you don't know anything, what nikonsian the GURU meant is that talking unncessarily to the photographer distracting him and making him unable to work. Includes

"Hi, are you from CS" while the photographer is busy composing his tea ceremony shot.

We're not discouraging people from wanting to be a wedding photographer, but remember, one day you as an official will face this same issue. And you'll be like one of us here typing such things.

Good question on how the wedding photographer gained their skills, why not ponder and think about it.

Take things in good light, we're just sharing our thoughts, highlighting issues to you that you might not have noticed although you feel that being a 2ndary photographer is nothing much.

When you have a job to do, you'll understand how come all the wedding photographers feel the same way
    Hi espn, don't worry, I am not upset or anything of that sort...

Thank you all for pointing out all the possible issues I may face or even sabo the OP. I will be very careful.

Thank you.

Thank you. But I feel that feedback #07 is saying that I don't know anything.

I think what I can do is don't talk to the official photographer, don't be in his/her way.

It seems like that are more people discouranging than encouraging one to be a 'semi-officail photographer'.

It really makes me wonder how did the official wedding photographer learn the skill initially.
    Don't feel discourage lah bro. Everyone starts somewhere. Official wedding photographer also starts from learning from others and be backups first, then 'promoted' to be official photographers. Just relax on that day and do your best. I'm sure you'll be able to do well and get some nice shots for the couple.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by nikonsiao
    hi Kevyan, please dun take it seriously. just a general comment.
    not refering to you.

2 ways you can look at it...

Person A
    1) learns from looking at others
    2) practice whatever he read up in theory by not obstructing

Person B
    1) wants to learn through practical
    2) rather use trial and error

so many types of people around us...

It's not discouraging you, just want you to know what to expect as sometimes its quite difficult to see others point of view..

Rest Assure. i got nothing against anyone ..
    cheers..
    Roger that.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo
    Don't feel discourage lah bro. Everyone starts somewhere. Official wedding photographer also starts from learning from others and be backups first, then 'promoted' to be official photographers. Just relax on that day and do your best. I'm sure you'll be able to do well and get some nice shots for the couple.
    I will do my best. Thanks for the encouragement.

It always seems that the wedding realm is a pasture full of greenery, easy piece of cake to sink your teeth in.

We're not saying you don't know anything, what nikonsian the GURU meant is that talking unncessarily to the photographer distracting him and making him unable to work. Includes

"Hi, are you from CS" while the photographer is busy composing his tea ceremony shot.

We're not discouraging people from wanting to be a wedding photographer, but remember, one day you as an official will face this same issue. And you'll be like one of us here typing such things.

Good question on how the wedding photographer gained their skills, why not ponder and think about it.

Take things in good light, we're just sharing our thoughts, highlighting issues to you that you might not have noticed although you feel that being a 2ndary photographer is nothing much.

When you have a job to do, you'll understand how come all the wedding photographers feel the same way

thanks for clarifying.... the flames nearly burn my bum.....
    BTW i am not Nikonian guru, i am just the average guy....like everyone else....

* please take a look at nikonking's post count and you know why he is king*

Roger that.

last but not least...enjoy yr shoot... remenber to collect yr ang bao...

Oh yah! One more thing...
    after the shoot, Do some touch-ups (pimples, dust...etc. etc.)
    Be selective and show them only the best shots you took.
    Its always good to show them your "Best-10" rather than the "Average-100"

And dont take the pictures while people are eating.
    My Gallery at DeviantART http://waiaung.deviantart.com

I'm charged with the task of being the secondary (unpaid) photographer for my friend's wedding as well. I have a bad habit these days... To give all my shots 150% effort.

If I'm not the main guy, typically I'll just steer clear of getting in his way.

Of cos, to dispel any potential hostile feelings both of u might develop towards each other, see the official photographer, walk up to him, chat and shake hands to cast any ill-will both of u might have towards each other (maybe he sees u as a potential competitor and you see him like a hinderance) away.

Sometimes full-time photographers might feel a little hostile towards backup photographers. The important thing is to let him noe that u are not there to steal his ricebowl and u're doing it for fun. Like my colleague's wedding the other time. Chatted with the main photographer (a nice ol' chap), heck, he even lent me his manual Vivtar flash to try it out!

Of cos, different ppl, different strokes.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

hey bro... a newbie to a newbie.

if yr friend has invited you for his wedding... go there and enjoy.
    take the pics you want... dun be bother by the kind of camera that you are using. is the man behind the camera.

u r not the pro, so leave the Pro problems (a pro body with a pro kit) to the Pro.

Just make sure that u dun get in the way of the Pro (also try never get into his line of fire), cos pple need to make a living.

Only take after he give u the command: "All Clear!! Ready for inspection, Ports Arms!"

then u happily line up yr subjects and take. np rite??

Last of all, Pro are friendly pple. I met Pros who are willing even to share some tips with me.

So go ahead!!!

Cheers!!!
    Last edited by vbs1979; 14th September 2005 at 05:23 PM.

I think as long as obvious common sense applies (not block the OP, dun disturb couple) the OP shouldn't feel too irritated with the so-called 'back up' cos in any weddings, I'm sure the family members, sisters, brothers will surely bring their own P&S and whack along side.

There are many types of ppl who learn different like what Nikonsiao said. There are also a lot of different OPs. Some are free-lancers with big studios that cannot make it. Some are pro-shooters from small studios that produces fantastic works.

As long as you don't get in the way of the OP, there should be nothing stopping you from taking any pics. My friend covered a wedding as 'back up' from the groom's house in the morning and took some fantastic shots while the main photog starts at the bride's house. The OP can only be at 1 place at 1 time. So the backup can go other places and shoot stuff that the OP didn't, rehearsals of the little flower boys/girls. Groom's / bride's point of view of the sabo session..
    How fortunate for leaders that men do not think. - Adolf Hitler

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    I think as long as obvious common sense applies (not block the OP, dun disturb couple) the OP shouldn't feel too irritated with the so-called 'back up' cos in any weddings, I'm sure the family members, sisters, brothers will surely bring their own P&S and whack along side.
    Family members, sisters, brothers using P&S is fine, no problems with that, I see them as wanting to be part of the happy moments. But trying to get the images shot for portfolio (newbie photographer) is a as that's why OPs feel very irritated (note: not threatened) by the NOPs.

Well, basically just don't cross fire, fire into another fella's lane or step into the line of fire.

U stand aside, do ur stuff and he do his own stuff.

"Well water don't offend river water"

If you want to learn, the best is observe how the photographer work, try not to shoot the identical shoot with the photographer, try to present the photo in another form. Like b&w etc.

Most professional will not worry you and anyone steals his or her rice bowl, just dislike someone hindering him or her during the shoot.

I have met some CSers during weddings, bring big and small cameras, and sometime even have 2 CSers. I respect them as friends of the couple, and expect them to understand I have a job to do, so far no problem.

(Btw, any problem is not my problem, as long Im not the cause of problem)

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    If you want to learn, the best is observe how the photographer work, try not to shoot the identical shoot with the photographer, try to present the photo in another form. Like b&w etc.

Most professional will not worry you and anyone steals his or her rice bowl, just dislike someone hindering him or her during the shoot.

I have met some CSers during weddings, bring big and small cameras, and sometime even have 2 CSers. I respect them as friends of the couple, and expect them to understand I have a job to do, so far no problem.

(Btw, any problem is not my problem, as long Im not the cause of problem)
    Thanks for the advise. But I will take all colour photo first, if I want B & W etc, I will use PS to do it later.

Hi all,

I need some advise. I am tasked to take wedding photos for my friends wedding, this Sat & Sun (2 diff. friends).

I am not the official photographer, but they want me to take pictures of their wedding too, pictures where the official photographer are not capturing.

But knowing that the lightings at the venue is not that good and I cannot attach a external flash to my PowerShot S2, I am really at lost what to do.

Using the built-in flash will not be that good because the flash will not reach the desire distance and it will be direct flash.

Sigh.... can anyone help?
    as what the others have already said, only take pictures where the official photographer does not take, i.e. don't get in his way.

there's nothing wrong with using your built-in flash. make sure you get close enough so that the flash can reach the desired distance. getting close also helps to fill the frame.

lastly, please worry less about your equipment and focus more on capturing moments, expressions, and meaningful memories during the wedding. i'm confident you can take wonderful wedding photos even with your powershot s2. having the best equipment DOES NOT automatically make you the best photographer.

good luck and have fun!

you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Thanks for the advise. But I will take all colour photo first, if I want B & W etc, I will use PS to do it later.
    Of couse shoot at color.
    Sorry didn't aware some digital camera can take b/w.

Quote Originally Posted by waiaung
    Oh yah! One more thing...
    after the shoot, Do some touch-ups (pimples, dust...etc. etc.)
    Be selective and show them only the best shots you took.
    Its always good to show them your "Best-10" rather than the "Average-100"

And dont take the pictures while people are eating.
    heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy why not????

Family members, sisters, brothers using P&S is fine, no problems with that, I see them as wanting to be part of the happy moments. But trying to get the images shot for portfolio (newbie photographer) is a as that's why OPs feel very irritated (note: not threatened) by the NOPs.
    i see i see... maybe I mixed up threatened with irritated. Cos some ppl display fear in form of irritation.
    How fortunate for leaders that men do not think. - Adolf Hitler

I understand the dilema that u are facing. Actually i had the same problem on monday when i was told to cover my fren's wedding. I actually had second thoughts as my F707 died on me a couple of months back and i'm not competent to do the job. But since he is my good buddy so die die must help. In the end quickly went to get a 300D from a Cser and practice 2 weeks before moving off. Anyway my gear was just a 300D with grip (very important as i took alot of potrait shots during the dinner ceremony), Kit lens and a direct flash (last minute purchase)

At first i committed a big mistake by following the Op and snaping photos together with him, but i have politely consulted him before the actual event as i was worried about the problem of double flash (his and mine) and whether will that affect his official photos. Only til half a point then i realised that i was doing the wrong thing as i'm just taking the same photos as the OP but w/o the subject looking at me (they were all looking to the OP), it was then that i start to shoot photos of others which is more suitable for me. But the OP was very polite, i compared my photos with his and realised that there isn't much difference except the lighting. He was using a 550EX but i'm only using a direct flash which doesn't support ETTl (had a hard time compensating exposure to prevent over exposure). He also shared alot of techniques with me and teach me how to better handle a DSLR (He using 20D)

During the night I was put into full use as the event was real pack and the OP had a hard time taking everything. Infact he was late (traffic jam) and called me to cover for him first! Haha in the end because of the good rapport we built up we manage to film most of the events. One good place i learned is to ambushed at the entrance of the hall and shoot every visitor as they entered.

The end results are encouraging, although most of my photos the subject was not looking at me, but some of these side angle photos turned ut surprisingy well and my buddy is very happy. But i think my 300D really took a pounding as i shot over 1200 photos that day alone!!! Haha hope this experience will give u a better idea of what to expect. But overall in the day there's nothing much u can do except shooting the 'pei jiao', but when nite comes its simply every man by themselves as there's simply to much happening!

All the best and enjoy the shooting (though its very tiring)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast