Thread: Pictures appear dark in photoshop

Default Pictures appear dark in photoshop

Hi all clubsnappers,

I'm a newbie who just got a 2nd hand Canon G3. How come the pictures I taken looks ok in the digicam playback but when I transfer to my com using photoshop, the pictures look very dark. Does the problem lies in the source (from cam) or photoshop settings which I need to do?

Thanks.

Deregistered

Default Re: Pictures appear dark in photoshop

Make sure your screen's contrast and brightness is set correctly, if your brightness/contrast is at 20% of course everything looks dark.

The pics are ok and normal from what I see here. Mine is very dark.

Quote Originally Posted by pchmj
    Hi all clubsnappers,

I'm a newbie who just got a 2nd hand Canon G3. How come the pictures I taken looks ok in the digicam playback but when I transfer to my com using photoshop, the pictures look very dark. Does the problem lies in the source (from cam) or photoshop settings which I need to do?

Thanks.
    First off the LCD screen on digicams is not accurate, it's only intended to give you a rough idea of how the shot came out.

With PhotoShop you'll need to follow this basic proceedure to get the most out of the image quality.

1) Warm up your monitor (leave it on) for at least half an hour and preferably 40 minutes before performing the step below.

2) Go in to Control Panel and click on the Adobe Gamma (colour) Icon and set up your monitor according to the instructions. When asked if you want to use a single gamma (grey box) uncheck it and use the RGB boxes. Save your changes and reboot computer. PhotoShop will now display images far more accurately than before.

Cheers
    Ian
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Blog Entries

why not post the "dark" image here
    and let those with calibrated screens
    tell you if it is dark or not

Sounds like screen contrast issue or your monitor is old, just like mine in the office.

yes,post here and let us see what's the problem.

I adjusted my screen especially gamma and things turn out much better.

Had deleted the pics so left nothing to post here.

Only the 'anyhow taken' pic below for reference. Auto mode with flash, very bright on cam lcd, no adjustment done except resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    First off the LCD screen on digicams is not accurate, it's only intended to give you a rough idea of how the shot came out.

With PhotoShop you'll need to follow this basic proceedure to get the most out of the image quality.

1) Warm up your monitor (leave it on) for at least half an hour and preferably 40 minutes before performing the step below.

2) Go in to Control Panel and click on the Adobe Gamma (colour) Icon and set up your monitor according to the instructions. When asked if you want to use a single gamma (grey box) uncheck it and use the RGB boxes. Save your changes and reboot computer. PhotoShop will now display images far more accurately than before.

Cheers
    Ian

Hihi, I tried these steps to calibrate before... but they dun seem to be very effective. For example, they asked me to decrease my brightness and contrast to the lowest settings until the white box or something like tat becomes visible. But, it's visible even when the setting is put as the lowest. Also, those RGB lines dun seem to fade out and blend into the colour at all! So, how do I really get my monitor calibrated with all these problems? Is it because I'm using an LCD monitor?

I adjusted my screen especially gamma and things turn out much better.

Had deleted the pics so left nothing to post here.

Only the 'anyhow taken' pic below for reference. Auto mode with flash, very bright on cam lcd, no adjustment done except resolution.
    try adjust the cam lcd brightness to match what your moniter shows,
    you would not want a perfect expose shot on the lcd to look underexpose out on your screen.

Hi all clubsnappers,

Thanks.
    Your room light too bright.
    Off it..