Thread: Beginner's Guide to Photography Salons

Default Beginner's Guide to Photography Salons

International photography salons & exhibitions are extremely popular but a lot of people I've spoken to say they don't know how to get started or even what the point of a salon is in the first place. It can be confusing!

I've written this short guide describing what a salon is, why you might be interested to enter and the long term benefits (and challenges!) it might have for your photography.

http://davidcandlish.photography/new...ography-salons

Let me know what you think!

Default Re: Beginner's Guide to Photography Salons

I have had embarked on this Salon route during the film era and was past members to The Royal Photographic Society of Great Britian (RPS)
    and Photgraphic Society of America (PSA).My entries were mostly pictorial and portraiture in color transparencies(color slides)
    and did garnered quite a bit of acceptances and even managed one Honorable Mention Ribbon. Do agree with you that different judges
    looks differently at entries. My Honorable Mention entry was rejected locally (PSS Salon) but gained the HM overseas.

As the digital era sinks in I simply lost the participation aura as I was still relunctant to embrace digital initially. If one wants
    international recognition in photography then the Salon route is the way to go.

My scrape book of sorts for memories

Last edited by Zeisser; 17th April 2015 at 02:54 PM.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

Thanks for the reply

It's a shame the slide option has closed down now but the sad reality is no one really shoots slides on the same scale anymore. PDI (digital) has taken over but the positive thing is that the salons are continuing and there is this international community of sorts.

As you say, judging can vary wildly but that's just because people have different tastes worldwide. Case in point, when I lived in the UK images of Tower Bridge were always ignored & rejected, but overseas it's more exotic and interesting and it gets accepted! It's just one of those things, human nature I guess

Will check out your scrapbook when I get home from work!

Quote Originally Posted by davidc34 View Post
    Thanks for the reply

It's a shame the slide option has closed down now but the sad reality is no one really shoots slides on the same scale anymore. PDI (digital) has taken over but the positive thing is that the salons are continuing and there is this international community of sorts.

As you say, judging can vary wildly but that's just because people have different tastes worldwide. Case in point, when I lived in the UK images of Tower Bridge were always ignored & rejected, but overseas it's more exotic and interesting and it gets accepted! It's just one of those things, human nature I guess

Will check out your scrapbook when I get home from work!
    Back in the film days I pride myself for taking the most color slides and submitting for Salon Exhibitions. I simply love
    color slides as there is no room for errors with composition and especially the exposure. Once you get the correct exposure
    it's simply beautiful where as for color prints there's always room for manupilation in the dark room what is akin to today's
    PS or lightroom.

As I've always reiterate that I only switch to digital in late 2010 as I wish to continue with my photography and also
    partly due to my work. Like you mentioned it's a pity that color slides are no longer accepted in Salon Exhibition but
    that's part of progress and if one needs to follow then one has to change
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/