Thread: hand holding shutter speed for DSLR

Default hand holding shutter speed for DSLR

Hi

Just started on DSLR not long ago and is quite puzzled how does the old hand holding rule 1/focal length apply.what I mean is that wif the 1.6 factor a 50mm becomes 80mm, so is the hand holding shutter speed 1/50 or 1/80 ? thx.

Default Re: hand holding shutter speed for DSLR

I think the old rule 1/focal length still holds, cos the FOV factor is a factor of the sensor, not factor of the actual focal length...

unless I'm wrong :P

hi,
    Actually this depends on the person him/herself. If you find that you can't hold your 50mm after the APS-C factor of 1.6 which is 80mm at 1/50s then do with 1/50s if not then hold on to the rule. For me this difference is less than a stop in shutter speed, thus am still able to handle and retain sharpness.
    Last edited by ShaoWei; 13th September 2005 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by litechaser
    Hi

Just started on DSLR not long ago and is quite puzzled how does the old hand holding rule 1/focal length apply.what I mean is that wif the 1.6 factor a 50mm becomes 80mm, so is the hand holding shutter speed 1/50 or 1/80 ? thx.
    1/focal lenght serve as a guide only. Go tryout with the lens you have-
    meaning how 'low shutter speed' you can handhold for that lens and how 'sharp' you want.

imagine a 70-200/f2.8 compare to a 70-300 sigma etc... which will you 'handhold' longer without shake?

Yesh, it depends on you, that is, how steady you are able to hold the cam and lens. And also how you hold your camera and lens.

For example, a sniper is able to hit a target at 300m, and hit specifically the heart or head as he wishes while the rest using M16 would be lucky to be able to hit the target at 200m.

It also depends on the situation - if the shoot involves say a fast moving Powerboat, I would increase the shutter speed by 1 stop with respect to the rule of thumb. If my object is stationary and I have all the time to aim and shoot and reshoot, I can afford to go slower than the rule of thumb.

Also, if the lens is longer, I can hold it more steadily than with a shorter lens. For example, like those digicams with 10x zoom - almost impossible to hold steady that kind of camera to use the long end of the zoom - unless you use a tripod.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Just started on DSLR not long ago and is quite puzzled how does the old hand holding rule 1/focal length apply.what I mean is that wif the 1.6 factor a 50mm becomes 80mm, so is the hand holding shutter speed 1/50 or 1/80 ?
    It depends on whether motion blur is the limiting factor. Obviously, as long as the pixel size is larger than the camera shake induced blur, the exposure time isn't that critical.

If the limiting factor really is camera shake, the "crop factor" would apply to the "1/f" rule. The bluriness of the image is given by the angle of camera shake relative to the field of view angle. The field of view angle is reduced by the cropping, so a little bit of camera shake becomes more noticeable, relatively speaking.

In practice, it doesn't matter: the 1/f rule is only a crude rule of thumb (it is largely arbitrary: small prints may look perfectly sharp, but enlargements of the same pictures horribly blurred; also, the 1/f rule doesn't even scale correctly with focal length), and differences in mirror slap or camera mass may make more of a difference than a crop factor of 1.6.

Blog Entries

practice holding techniques and you will be able to break the rule

Use the 1/(focal length x crop factor), unless you've got super steady hands,..
    eat. drink. shoot

Hi All

Thx for your kind inputs. seems that I cannot 'cheat' by using 1/old focal length well, who says there's free lunch anyway ?

I ever shot with the Sigma 50-500mm lens at 1/13 and got a sharp picture at around 300-400mm.... Showed it to a fellow clubsnapper and he was like... wow!!! But that was one in a million....

Yeah, basically that rule of thumb 1/focal length is handy...
    Another is sunny 16... hahaha...

Hi All

Thx for your kind inputs. seems that I cannot 'cheat' by using 1/old focal length well, who says there's free lunch anyway ?
    Well, there is...Image Stabilizer (IS) or Vibration Reduction (VR)
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    Another is sunny 16... hahaha...

Sunny 16 means on a bright sunny day, simply set your camera to M mode, aperture at f16, shutter speed at 1/ISO speed, and you'll confirm get a correctly exposed photo IIRC...
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    Sunny 16 means on a bright sunny day, simply set your camera to M mode, aperture at f16, shutter speed at 1/ISO speed, and you'll confirm get a correctly exposed photo IIRC...
    Does that means that using expensive lens like F1.4 of F2.8 i still need to adjust to F16?
    Last edited by SnakeJackal; 18th September 2005 at 04:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeJackal
    Does that means that using expensive lens at if i have good lens like F1.4 of F2.8 i still need to adjust to F16?
    no no... sunny 16 is a guideline for times when (a) u are using a totally manual camera - ie no electronic meter, or (b) when ur auto-everything camera's meter went kaput.

read this on how to use sunny 16.
    http://www.camerareview.com/templates/sunny16.cfm
    http://www.davidrichert.com/sunny_16_rule.htm

there are hundreds of sites detailing the different variations to the sunny 16 rule. just google to find.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeJackal
    Does that means that using expensive lens like F1.4 of F2.8 i still need to adjust to F16?
    Sunny 16 is just an exposure guide, not lens sharpness guide. Applies to all lenses
    eat. drink. shoot