Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Financial Calculator where can i get???

Default Financial Calculator where can i get???

anyone know where can i get financial calculators?

I'm helping someone to look for one. But heard that this model is out of production, the model is Casio FC 100.

Default Re: Financial Calculator where can i get???

try bras basah ..... if i were you, forget about the CASIO and get a HP ..fast and accurate ..bought one during my school days and I am still using it now.... excellent companion even at work

yup! Bras Basah has it. Got one for my bro-in-law who needed it in Australia. One of the shops on the ground floor.

Hi AhV
    Tks alot for the recomendation will give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by Adiemus
    yup! Bras Basah has it. Got one for my bro-in-law who needed it in Australia. One of the shops on the ground floor.

that's fast guys, really appreciate ur help. Tks!

I would also recommend HP, I have mine for 19 years now (HP-11c), and dropped it seveal times, nothing happens! Only changed batteries three times! The LCD starts to deteroriate not at one corner, but is still usable...........

It works differently though than normal calculators, so it needs some to get used to. There is a financial version: HP-12c I think, but there are others. Check eBay, or ask Mr Wong at Fotografix, secondfloor of Chinatown Center (or something like that), the shopping center in Chinatown, just next to that chinese style bridge (it also has a McDonald on the groundfloor)........he collects these HP's, good luck!

HS

close to $100 ..

Anyone knows which is better: HP-12c or Texas Instrument BA-II Plus?

HP cost $100+ and the TI cost $60+.

Suppose to use for CFA exams.

TIA! =)
    Last edited by karwing; 13th September 2005 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AhV
    try bras basah ..... if i were you, forget about the CASIO and get a HP ..fast and accurate ..bought one during my school days and I am still using it now.... excellent companion even at work
    just curious, have u ever seen a calculator that is inaccurate?

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    It works differently though than normal calculators, so it needs some to get used to.
    Do you mean RPN operation ? Some of the later ones can switch between RPN & algebraic ... I have a 19BII that can do just that (way overkill for my needs, like using an Arca Swiss B1 for a P&S ).

It's a lot of fun once you get used to RPN ... makes you approach the task with a different mindset.

BA-II Plus is easier to use for most people. HP12C uses the "computer" way of doing simple arithmetic. It's actually faster once you get the hang of it
    Last edited by mpenza; 13th September 2005 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    just curious, have u ever seen a calculator that is inaccurate?
    All calculators are somewhat inaccurate (they generally round the exact results to a number they can represent). The difference is to what degree they are so, especially when it comes to operations like transcendental functions.

Quote Originally Posted by AhV
    My opinion is to agree that HP business calculator is better. I tried both Casio FC-100 & FC-200 version and didn't like it. FC-200 is even slower than FC-100. For HP business calculator, you may try the HP-12C or HP 12C Platinum or HP-17bII+. Details inlcuding sales out of Singapore, can be found at http://www.educalc.net which operates from Loyang in Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    All calculators are somewhat inaccurate (they generally round the exact results to a number they can represent). The difference is to what degree they are so, especially when it comes to operations like transcendental functions.
    Hmm, calculator itself should be accurate, its the LCD display that round up the number to show u just the digits.

Before you rush to buy the calculator.... Please check which model...

I know for certain that some exams do not allow certain calculators and make sure the one you getting is on the "ALLOWED" list..

And understand what a calculator do versus what the LCD display do.
    In calculator, it is not "what you see is what you get".

Yeh especially the HP41 series and above are mostly not allowed. Knowledgable invigilator may do a master clear for the above if they allow it into the exam hall.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32
    Before you rush to buy the calculator.... Please check which model...

I know for certain that some exams do not allow certain calculators and make sure the one you getting is on the "ALLOWED" list..

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Hmm, calculator itself should be accurate, its the LCD display that round up the number to show u just the digits.
    I have learnt while schooling that the calculator uses rounding and when doing long calculations the minor error escalates.

There was a test to check the calculator's accuracy but I've forgotten how to do it. It's part of some computer study thingy.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    I have learnt while schooling that the calculator uses rounding and when doing long calculations the minor error escalates.

There was a test to check the calculator's accuracy but I've forgotten how to do it. It's part of some computer study thingy.
    What u refer to is "truncation", the user specify how many decimal points he wants to truncate, the calculator will display according to what the user specify. A financial guy may want to truncate to 4 decimal points for convenience, while a scientist may want to truncate to 40 decimal points for more accuracy.

Got one whole carton of HP financial calculators last year, and gave all away...
    eat. drink. shoot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast