Thread: Old World Charms of Singapore

Default Old World Charms of Singapore

Looking forward to your comments and advice. I want to improve! Thanks.

Default Re: Old World Charms of Singapore

the building in 2nd pic is too distorted.

What building is it? Never seen it, even in any tourist brochure.

Maybe u can try go back to take the same shots at different time of the day? Eg 6pm. The sunlight would be more dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Maybe u can try go back to take the same shots at different time of the day? Eg 6pm. The sunlight would be more dramatic.
    Hmm, I think I took this at about 6pm! But the sunset was infact behind me! So maybe morning will be an option! Will try again. Will post another picture of the palm tree in pic 2 with sunset ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by waileong
    Mt Faber! The building is a church.

Well you can try using filters. CL Polarizing or ND filters shld help.

Quote Originally Posted by waileong
    It's the old mansion of philantrophist Tan Boo Liat, at Pender Road halfway up Mount Faber. It's now the Danish Seamen's Church.

Quote Originally Posted by damian77
    Well you can try using filters. CL Polarizing or ND filters shld help.
    Actually I already have a CP Polarizing filter on. I think partly that day was quite overcast. I will certainly try again and post. Thanks for your suggestion.

Do you think this is better?

The sky was beautiful from the other direction!

The composition is not very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    The composition is not very nice.
    Thanks for your comment. What do you think I need to do to improve it? I also feel something is not right but cannot put words to it! The issue of perspective causing some distortion to the building is another one I am working on. Since I do not have a shift lens, I am trying out a filter in PS that might solve this.

Quote Originally Posted by KCLow
    Thanks for your comment. What do you think I need to do to improve it? I also feel something is not right but cannot put words to it!
    I'm a newbie. Take my personal comments with a truckload of salt, and I apologise for butting in where I probably shouldn't. Here's my attempt at words, then.

Firstly, the tilt in the picture is...unsatisfying. I mean that as a picture, it feels like a mistake. Others might feel differently. This point might be invalid after you have done your PS.

Secondly, I find the composition causes my eyes to stagnate in the centre of the picture, and there, for some reason, I think of "dead end". The composition feels "blocked".
    Last edited by kaywalk; 16th September 2005 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaywalk
    I'm a newbie ...
    Hey sometimes the newbie knows best - remember the story abt the emperor having no clothes?

Thanks for your comment. What do you think I need to do to improve it? I also feel something is not right but cannot put words to it! The issue of perspective causing some distortion to the building is another one I am working on. Since I do not have a shift lens, I am trying out a filter in PS that might solve this.
    For the photo with the building and the tree, you may want to try cutting away the tree and concentrate more on the building. Find an angle so that the flag pole is out of the way. Or wait till the flag is up and you can add it in to be your subject while the building becomes the background? There are many ways to do it. Try to think more while you take the shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    For the photo with the building and the tree, you may want to try cutting away the tree and concentrate more on the building. Find an angle so that the flag pole is out of the way. Or wait till the flag is up and you can add it in to be your subject while the building becomes the background? There are many ways to do it. Try to think more while you take the shots.
    thanks. you are right, I have the tendency to rush my shots, especially when i shoot digital instead of film. Two points in your suggestions to put in my own words:

Focus in more on the building to eliminate the feeling of deadspace in the centre

Either wait for a flag or shoot from another angle, or maybe PS away the pole.

Thanks, really appreciate the comments.

thanks. you are right, I have the tendency to rush my shots, especially when i shoot digital instead of film. Two points in your suggestions to put in my own words:

Focus in more on the building to eliminate the feeling of deadspace in the centre

Either wait for a flag or shoot from another angle, or maybe PS away the pole.

Thanks, really appreciate the comments.
    Anytime.