Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Akarui dry cabinet owners, please help!

Default Re: Akarui dry cabinet owners, please help!

is it? it gets lower... it dropped below 30% when i did that...

That was one of the reasons why I got a digital hygrometer to go alongside with the analog one......to double check and ensure the readings do not go too far off....
    Now the difference between the two is only about 3%. So at least I am assured by the fact that the analog's not too far off in its readings...
    "....it is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness...."

Juz set it to M will do, when I juz got it I'm quite bother with the reading, after awhile I juz find that the analogue meter really sucks so I don't really care now. Don't waste the money buying a digital meter, most impt thing to take note is that when u open the cabinet door, the reading goes up, once its close it should go down. If it goes down, it means its working fine.

Anyway mine is an Akarui too and it always goes below 30% but I noe it's around 45% coz I've tested my meter, it's way off...

the meter was way off.. i changed my meter already. now it works and constantly at 50%. abit of fluctuation +/- 3% but it's ok. haiyoh.. this stupid thing gave me alot of headaches!
    however, thanks all who have helped me!! my setting is abit out of M. towards the H side.

just want to ask. can i put my SLR loaded with film and lens attached inside?

My 2 cents.

The setting M or H etc is not precise. So don't worry about setting it exactly.
    Try not to let the unit overwork (ie ON continuously or very often) the unit will break down. (my unit broke down 7 years ago and Cathay fixed it) Somewhere around M is best.
    You may need a "trial and error" approach with the dial. Observe whether the unit is working when humidity is up and if the unit stop when humidity is down.
    The analog meter is not accurate so don't rely on it.
    If you want accurate readings, tap on the meter lightly, the needle might move a little in the right direction as there is some resistance/friction.
    The unit is meant to operate automatically, so you should not need to power it up or down.
    As the unit gets older, it struggles harder to keep humidity down, so you might only get 50% when previously you can get 40%.
    I heard that as long as it is below 50% it is okay but don't sue me if your $10000 lens gets fungus.
    I actually supplement my Akarui unit with a portable unit (which I bought in Indonesia but now you can find it in DIY shop here)

As in all things, Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12