Thread: How do you take group photos?

Default How do you take group photos?

Got some problem shooting group photos in small room, specially HDB. I just used 18mm to shoot a group photo (say, 10-20 people).

Here are some questions:
    (1) At 18mm, I get distortion on the side but I can't move back nor zoom in. Any guys also encountered this? Is this normally acceptable or are there any solution?
    (2) If shooting at couple, I tend to shoot portrait format... but again, due to space... I ended with 18mm and get distortion. Do you guys also do this? Or any zoom in up to head&shoulder size or landscape format?
    (3) For group photos, especially in a hotel or restaurant under tungsten-flavored light, my group photos at ISO800 usually ends with noisy on the dark colored area, and since the faces are smaller (imagine 30 faces), they tend to be a bit rasterized at closer inspection. I'm a bit apprehensive if this is printed in 8R-12R. Tried it before and its not very nice. Any of you guys do it differently?

Default Re: How do you take group photos?

1) When doing a group photo, try to pack them as close as possible, maintain in 2 rows, if too many people in the photo, distortion is unavoidable, quality will not be good, but better than no photos.

2) Why must shoot in full length if the space is constrain? Use the longest focal if possible.

3) Refer to point one, you shoot with what you have at that time, if your client/customers/friends are particular with the outcome, ask them to pay you extra for bring better equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    1) When doing a group photo, try to pack them as close as possible, maintain in 2 rows, if too many people in the photo, distortion is unavoidable, quality will not be good, but better than no photos.

2) Why must shoot in full length if the space is constrain? Use the longest focal if possible.

3) Refer to point one, you shoot with what you have at that time, if your client/customers/friends are particular with the outcome, ask them to pay you extra for bring better equipment.
    ya... i think tis 1 good... cos if they insist on shooting in HDB flat (maybe tea ceremony or something, den still complain, den ask them to go book a function room... hehe... den you tell them, if since u wan quality, everything must listen to me, i need 4 assistants to do crowd control, i need GPS for coordination...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    ya... i think tis 1 good... cos if they insist on shooting in HDB flat (maybe tea ceremony or something, den still complain, den ask them to go book a function room... hehe... den you tell them, if since u wan quality, everything must listen to me, i need 4 assistants to do crowd control, i need GPS for coordination...
    Hehe. Thanks guys... I think a made a mistake in (2) lesson learned. Tried to pack as much information (person) in the photo... next time will focus more on relevant content... :P I try to fix the distortion with software. Hehe.. but will keep in mind next time. Hmm... 4 assistants... if big size, its gonna be a squeeze with 2 assistant at each end acting like bookstands pushing on both end. Hehe.

Remember, in group photos, faces are most important, so try to reduce waste space.

Lightbulb Re: How do you take group photos?

i shot a group of families of about 30 pax in a four rm living room recently. sofa couches and coffee tables were moved to a corner. i chose an angle almost parallel to the diagional of the living room to give me the length i needed. i was shooting at 48mm although my lens widest zoom is at 24mm.

i shot in raw. avoid positioning people at the corners. avoid wide angle, where possible.
    Last edited by reachme2003; 12th September 2005 at 06:39 PM.