Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: X100s vs X100t

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,168

    Default X100s vs X100t

    Hi all, contemplating these two models as want a small camera to bring around. If you know any other models from other brands that have the similar size and focal length, do leave them in the comments.


    I already own a 70D that does my main bulk of my shooting so i am not open to getting a xt-1 even if it might be better.


    Was wondering if the difference in price would be worth it. I read that the auto focus speed is faster and that there is wifi. However, i dont really need the af speed and i guess i can buy the eye-fi card thing.


    Do direct me to another post if this question has been posted before, thanks.

  2. #2
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    There is also the Ricoh GR and the Nikon Coolpix A. both using APS-C sensor. The new Lumix LX100 is also a very good performer using a m43 sensor. And it comes with a zoom lens too.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,168

    Default Re: X100s vs X100t

    icic, thanks. will research on them.

  4. #4

    Default Re: X100s vs X100t

    This may come across as a rather oddball suggestion, but I like using the Pentax Q7 as my small camera.

    Here are some threads taken with this camera.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...ight=pentax+Q7
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...ight=pentax+Q7
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1...pressions.html

  5. #5

    Default Re: X100s vs X100t

    For me, Classic Chrome and better overall responsiveness makes me want the X100T. I think small sensor cameras in small compact bodies like the Sony RX100MK3 is excellent. But if image quality is important, skip them all and stick with APSC and FF. I would not get the LX100, had that and dis not found the lens to be rather average.

  6. #6
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: X100s vs X100t

    Since everyone also start recommending their favourite small compact camera. I would like to add my bit. I like my Canon G7X, yeah, it didn't had a better lens as compared to Sony RX100mkIII, but it is a small little beast in its own right, and the price is pretty affordable, at least to me. I have been using it to shoot pictures of my doggie, some landscape and mostly for my work purpose, I have no compain over it at all. And, the last I heard, it shared the same or similar sensor as the RX100mkIII.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  7. #7
    Moderator keithwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LittleRedDot
    Posts
    7,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gardna View Post
    Hi all, contemplating these two models as want a small camera to bring around. If you know any other models from other brands that have the similar size and focal length, do leave them in the comments. I already own a 70D that does my main bulk of my shooting so i am not open to getting a xt-1 even if it might be better. Was wondering if the difference in price would be worth it. I read that the auto focus speed is faster and that there is wifi. However, i dont really need the af speed and i guess i can buy the eye-fi card thing. Do direct me to another post if this question has been posted before, thanks.
    If u are very clear you don't need the wifi or the faster focusing speed , then the other main advantages of the X100T over the X100S are the refined buttons and slightly better controls.

    In that case , I'll say go for the X100S, and yes , the eye-Fi works well with the X100S. I used the S and am now using the T.

  8. #8

    Default Re: X100s vs X100t

    Come to think of it, why not a use A7 and FE35?

    It will even use the Canon lenses via adapter

  9. #9

    Default Re: X100s vs X100t

    Shuffling between a 70d and a mirrorless will already see a disparity in AF speed. Taking a step backwards to the x100s might be frustrating. Eye-fi works well but takes up quite a bit of battery. The x100 series are not known for good battery life although the T is better than the S. I do not count the number of shots but I do not find myself changing batteries as frequently.

  10. #10

    Default Re: X100s vs X100t

    I fine the battery life perfectly fine actually.
    On a DSLR I can take 2k photo on a single battery when I move over to x100s and xt1 . I find that I work with the limitation by making shot count... Moreover battery is cheap so can get a few more.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,168

    Default Re: X100s vs X100t

    Thanks for the input. I realise that i forgot to add that i would prefer a body that doesn't require me to change lenses as well as no significant bulging lenses that's why i narrowed down to the X100 series. The Ricoh does fit that criteria as well, thanks @daredevil123. I guess the size and price is appealing.

    Any idea if the rx100III is similar to the s100? i have a guess it isnt. Reason why is because my mum already has a s100 and i can borrow it anytime.

    @keithwee: Since you have used both, what do you feel is the difference?

    Im buying this just to shoot table shots and things that require a wider angle so a fixed focal length is preferred as much as it is tempting to get variable focal length cameras.


    Thanks all for the input again =)

  12. #12
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: X100s vs X100t

    The X100s and X100t don't feel that different to me.

    Personally I'd just go with the cheaper one

    Ricoh is superb when it comes to pure one handed usability
    Sendhelper on Google Play today~

  13. #13
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sendhelper View Post
    The X100s and X100t don't feel that different to me. Personally I'd just go with the cheaper one Ricoh is superb when it comes to pure one handed usability
    The 100T felt slightly faster somehow. But i guess the Ricoh is more value for money? Unless of course if you like the appearance of the 100 series, why not.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,168

    Default Re: X100s vs X100t

    The silver black finish does seem very nice.

    Anyway, is the Ricoh at many shops? Actually, this is the first time i heard of this model. Any idea how much it is, roughly?

  15. #15
    Senior Member darrrrrrrrrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gardna View Post
    The silver black finish does seem very nice.

    Anyway, is the Ricoh at many shops? Actually, this is the first time i heard of this model. Any idea how much it is, roughly?
    Ricoh GR is supposedly 825, with extra battery and 8gb sd card.

    Had a X100 before and now using a Ricoh GR. Imo it's a great camera (APSC sensor, no AA filter) that you can even put into a pocket. Can hardly tell it's in any bag, yet can deliver great IQ and usability. Coupled with a Toshiba Flashair sd card to pull JPGs for social media/whatsapp, and a Joby micro tripod. This has been the perfect daily snapshooter for me.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,168

    Default Re: X100s vs X100t

    Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post
    Ricoh GR is supposedly 825, with extra battery and 8gb sd card.

    Had a X100 before and now using a Ricoh GR. Imo it's a great camera (APSC sensor, no AA filter) that you can even put into a pocket. Can hardly tell it's in any bag, yet can deliver great IQ and usability. Coupled with a Toshiba Flashair sd card to pull JPGs for social media/whatsapp, and a Joby micro tripod. This has been the perfect daily snapshooter for me.
    since you mentioned that you used both before, could you tell me what you like about one over the other? thanks =)

  17. #17
    Senior Member darrrrrrrrrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gardna View Post

    since you mentioned that you used both before, could you tell me what you like about one over the other? thanks =)
    X100
    I like 35mm focal length
    F2 aperture is faster than GR
    Evf/ovf is a good feature
    Can customise and make it look retro
    Great Fuji colours
    Battery life didnt seem so good
    SD card needs to be reformatted often after connecting to PC
    Hated the scroll wheel on the back, controls felt unintuitive
    The leatherette covering is shiny and not grippy
    Not pocketable, still require a camera strap/bag
    Macro need to stop down to f4

    Ended up selling it to get back into M4/3 system

    Later picked up a Ricoh GR for daily use
    28mm is wide, but can also be cropped in camera to 35mm 10MP
    Controls are easy to use one-handed
    Pocketable and light weight, yet well built with Mag alloy body
    Body has good texture and soft rubber
    Positive film preset is pleasing to me
    Not picky with SD card formatting, haven't formatted my Flashair as it will kill the Wifi function but still works fine
    Snap focus mode means GR is great for streets and quick snaps
    Raw files dont look as good in Lightroom though

    I think any further specific info about GR better to do via PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •