Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Recommendations for a light, multi-purpose tripod

  1. #1

    Default Recommendations for a light, multi-purpose tripod

    Hi all, I've never really used a tripod before so I need some recommendations for a light (around 1 kg) tripod that is good for landscapes, portrait shots etc. Thanks for all advice.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    East
    Posts
    710

    Default Re: Recommendations for a light, multi-purpose tripod

    Try the Sirui range from TK. Light and steady at reasonable prices.

  3. #3
    Senior Member richiemccaw1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,093

    Default Re: Recommendations for a light, multi-purpose tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by ctzeh View Post
    Hi all, I've never really used a tripod before so I need some recommendations for a light (around 1 kg) tripod that is good for landscapes, portrait shots etc. Thanks for all advice.
    Perhaps you can share with us your camera and lens set-up? Makes it easier for everyone to provide more useful pointers

  4. #4

    Default Re: Recommendations for a light, multi-purpose tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Try the Sirui range from TK. Light and steady at reasonable prices.
    Hi Ziggy, thanks for the reply. Sirui is one of my main considerations given the reasonable prices. Thanks.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Recommendations for a light, multi-purpose tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by richiemccaw1 View Post
    Perhaps you can share with us your camera and lens set-up? Makes it easier for everyone to provide more useful pointers
    Hi Richie, I'm currently using the Canon 100D with either the Sigma 30mm or Canon 40mm STM. Total mass is 850g and 550g with each lens respectively.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,430

    Default Re: Recommendations for a light, multi-purpose tripod

    - What is your budget?
    Depending on your budget, you can consider Carbon Fiber type or Aluminium ones. The Alum ones are usually cheaper than the CF type, but much heavier than CF.

    Weight, Stability and Cost. Pick any 2.

    - Will you be bringing the tripod for travelling?
    This may affect your choice of tripod also... Because travelling tripods are usually relatively short (~1.4m max) but is much easier to pack into luggage. But for walking about in Singapore, it may be abit short...

    **With that said, my travelling tripod is a full sized one, abit more troublesome to pack into the luggage because of the height.


    The best way to find out which tripod fits the best is to head down to TK and try it all. They have it all there for testing. Specs alone will not tell you how stable it is for your setup.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  7. #7

    Default Re: Recommendations for a light, multi-purpose tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    - What is your budget?
    Depending on your budget, you can consider Carbon Fiber type or Aluminium ones. The Alum ones are usually cheaper than the CF type, but much heavier than CF.

    Weight, Stability and Cost. Pick any

    - Will you be bringing the tripod for travelling?
    This may affect your choice of tripod also... Because travelling tripods are usually relatively short (~1.4m max) but is much easier to pack into luggage. But for walking about in Singapore, it may be abit short...

    **With that said, my travelling tripod is a full sized one, abit more troublesome to pack into the luggage because of the height.


    The best way to find out which tripod fits the best is to head down to TK and try it all. They have it all there for testing. Specs alone will not tell you how stable it is for your setup.
    Hi Skystrike,

    Thanks for the reply.

  8. #8
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,061

    Default Re: Recommendations for a light, multi-purpose tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by ctzeh View Post
    Hi all, I've never really used a tripod before so I need some recommendations for a light (around 1 kg) tripod that is good for landscapes, portrait shots etc. Thanks for all advice.
    Here we got a sticky thread: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384016
    Look for those stickies first if you have questions.
    EOS

  9. #9

    Default Re: Recommendations for a light, multi-purpose tripod

    I have been using a slik sprint pro from about 7yrs.
    Its about 1kg and a bit taller than some of the budget carbon options out there.

    Downside is stability which is generally OK, but you need extra care if making adjustments without shifting by the camera.
    The other is that the stock ball head is really basic.

  10. #10
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    23,822

    Default Re: Recommendations for a light, multi-purpose tripod

    no matter how good and how light your tripod you are about get, do make a habit to bring it out and use it often.
    if you don't, it is just good as no tripod at all.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  11. #11

    Default Re: Recommendations for a light, multi-purpose tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    no matter how good and how light your tripod you are about get, do make a habit to bring it out and use it often.
    if you don't, it is just good as no tripod at all.
    Thanks Bro, will keep that in mind.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Recommendations for a light, multi-purpose tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    I have been using a slik sprint pro from about 7yrs.
    Its about 1kg and a bit taller than some of the budget carbon options out there.

    Downside is stability which is generally OK, but you need extra care if making adjustments without shifting by the camera.
    The other is that the stock ball head is really basic.
    Thanks for the recommendation!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Recommendations for a light, multi-purpose tripod

    Whichever tripod u go for make sure that it is stable and the head and legs can support your equipments well.

    I have seem ppl using DSLR and heavy lens on a cheap Panasonic tripod and what happened next is the tripod loosen up and the camera crashed to the ground.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Recommendations for a light, multi-purpose tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by DSolZ View Post
    Whichever tripod u go for make sure that it is stable and the head and legs can support your equipments well.

    I have seem ppl using DSLR and heavy lens on a cheap Panasonic tripod and what happened next is the tripod loosen up and the camera crashed to the ground.
    Thanks bro for the advice. I've bought a Jusino tripod from a fellow forummer already.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •