Thread: Rx-8.

Default Rx-8.

The curvaceous body of the Mazda RX-8 has to be one of the more visually arresting bodies currently occupying car showrooms. Again, I wish I had more time to shoot the car, but being allowed to drive the car to my limits of ability and endurance meant that I chose to revel in the experience than worry too much about photographic locations, angles, and lighting too much. It is hard to convey how a car feels, but everyone can see how a car looks, and looks are something that this one has in buckets.

Cars tend to scurry aside when this view fills their rear mirrors.

237bhp @ 8200rpm, 211nM @ 5500rpm - 0-100kph in 6.4 secs.

It looks fast, even standing still.

The final word, just so you know it.

Default Re: Rx-8.

Isit me or are those... donuts in the parking lot??

thanks for sharing man. U were alone? wish U had a friend along... like jeremy clarkson said, this car drifts like a dream

What donuts?

No, I did not slide this car, it may be a coupe shape but it is big and heavy (as well as being fairly powerful). As we drove on public roads albeit challenging roads through the mountain ranges, it is also pretty irresponsible to try anything crazy.

It does not invite a driver to slide the car like the MX-5 does, at least at low speed. High speed, well, we just didn't have the road conditions nor ability to drive the car like that!

Nice! Wow! I like the rear doors.

The way you take, i want to buy the car lar!

Just my 2 cents of opinion here:

1st picture:
    The angle you shot at makes the car look taller than it is. It gives me a feeling it's a SUV, when it's not. I would go for the low and sleek look.

2nd picture:
    There is a lot of reflection of the sky from the angle you took. Would also prefer for the background to be cleaner.

3rd & 4th picture:
    Would prefer for the background to be cleaner too.

Nice use of DOF

Keep shooting.

would still take the RX-7 Effini Turbo anyday...

Quote Originally Posted by GitS
    would still take the RX-7 Effini Turbo anyday...
    Coming from a guy whose handle reads STIG in reverse I'm inclined to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd
    1st picture:
    The angle you shot at makes the car look taller than it is. It gives me a feeling it's a SUV, when it's not. I would go for the low and sleek look.
    Yes, I considered shooting a full head-on shot but figured it didn't show the curves that well. This one does make it look unflatteringly tall. I used a telephoto lens which flattened the whole car out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd
    2nd picture:
    There is a lot of reflection of the sky from the angle you took. Would also prefer for the background to be cleaner.

3rd & 4th picture:
    Would prefer for the background to be cleaner too.
    Agreed. Just not the opportunity nor conditions nor environment to get nice shots. Its nowhere close to existing standards. I tend to rush my shots, take on a more anything-also-can attitude when I'm with other people, especially when they're waiting around for me. The car wasn't moved around to get the best lighting angles nor reflections.

PS the car into a cleaner background

Picture 3 can PS away the branches sticking out of the top of the vehicle.

I'm wondering if using a wide angle and going close up to the car will show the curves? Or will it make it look too nose heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by r32
    What donuts?

No, I did not slide this car, it may be a coupe shape but it is big and heavy (as well as being fairly powerful). As we drove on public roads albeit challenging roads through the mountain ranges, it is also pretty irresponsible to try anything crazy.

It does not invite a driver to slide the car like the MX-5 does, at least at low speed. High speed, well, we just didn't have the road conditions nor ability to drive the car like that!
    I coulda sworn...................then again, jeremy (top gear) had a huge air-strip to burn rubber. lucky b*stard.

dude, cant believe that car wore U out, look foward to more car portraiture. I've seen nasty rigs with only tripod, masking tape & bag straps. This stuff is like 1% of your ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev
    I coulda sworn...................then again, jeremy (top gear) had a huge air-strip to burn rubber. lucky b*stard.

dude, cant believe that car wore U out, look foward to more car portraiture. I've seen nasty rigs with only tripod, masking tape & bag straps. This stuff is like 1% of your ability.
    Expectations can be a terrible thing to live up to - actually my skill at car portraiture is really woefully lacking. 1% of my ability? No, you guys have been raising the bar of standards higher and higher lately! I guess I'm more suited to trackside action shooting. Have you seen my recent track day photos over on the Sports forum?

But seeing other guys' photos like yours and tan131's Mazda 3 series makes me want to practise on my own econobox first, just to practise the technique and angles. Its a new facet of automobile photography, but seems to be quite interesting.

The MX-5 is the more fun car, while the RX-8 is a relaxed cruiser. Paradoxically that means that the MX-5 demands more concentration because I tended to drive it harder. Right now, I'm just so in love with driving. Flinging the tachometer of the RX8 around to its 9000rpm redline, feeling the surge of acceleration Gs, and shifting only when the shift buzzer goes off is just pure bliss.

My god.. U are making me drool BIG time r32.. How I wish had a chance to drive the MX5 or RX8... Well, the MX 5 MKIII is already out. Wonder how it compares to the MKI, which to my knowledge, IS the driver's car compared to the mkII.. Guess we are a bunch of car lovers.. or is it car photography lovers

Anyway, do experiment with you own car. Afterall, you can take it out anywhere and anytime for a shoot. Rev is much more experience then me in shooting cars. I like how he's able to inject life, movement and energy in his pics. I'm still way off.. Dun get much cars to shoot But generally, we both shoot differently.

Well, back to comments.. I suggest u go go close to the car, using a relative wide angle to bring out the curves and length of the RX8. The rx 8 is a beautiful car with the right curves and visuals at the right places. using a telephoto will compress the car too much. Also, try to show from a slightly higher perspective. This will bring out the low, sleek feel. Lastly, when shooting a car.. feel the car instead of see the car. This will help you achieve more interactive kind of pics. Jus my humble opinion..cheers~

U gotta be kidding me. if U can see the cars trackside & frame them, then its the same when they're stationary right?
    well... that's my theory anyway

gonna check yr track day photos now...
    Last edited by Rev; 16th September 2005 at 09:39 PM.