Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 86

Thread: Nikon 1 J5

  1. #1

    Default Nikon 1 J5



    Specs look interesting. Surprised to see 4K video listed, then realized it's only 15fps. Haha.



    Nikon 1 J5 technical details:

    New 20.8MP backside-illumination CMOS image sensor
    World's fastest continuous shooting with AF at 20 fps
    171 AF points (105 are phase-detection)
    EXPEED 5A
    60 fps
    4k video
    Touchscreen
    Fn button
    Seven new "Creative" modes, incl. "Glamour" mode for making faces "look attractive"
    Built-in time lapse feature
    Built-in Wi-Fi
    NFC (Near Field Communication)


    Read more on NikonRumors.com: http://nikonrumors.com/2015/04/02/ni...#ixzz3W7hndStB
    Official PR: http://www.nikon.com/news/2015/0402_acil_01.htm
    Last edited by kandinsky; 2nd April 2015 at 02:32 PM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North-East
    Posts
    1,976

    Default Re: Nikon 1 J5

    The new design look so much nicer.
    In the eyes of the beholder!

  3. #3
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Nikon 1 J5

    I am still waiting for a nice hot shoe and if possible uses the same battery as my DSLR

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    I am still waiting for a nice hot shoe and if possible uses the same battery as my DSLR
    The nikon v1 was my fav coz it shared the same batt as my d600!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Nikon 1 J5

    And D7200 too. I am keeping my V1 even though I just got the D7200.
    The 1 series AF-A in good light is amazing. Best interchangeable lens P&S camera bar none.
    Last edited by Event_Horizon; 3rd April 2015 at 02:12 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member richiemccaw1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,098

    Default Re: Nikon 1 J5

    what do you guys use your Nikon 1 for? Mainly birding?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richiemccaw1 View Post
    what do you guys use your Nikon 1 for? Mainly birding?
    i'm using my v2 for a 'go everywhere' camera, replacing the old coolpix p5100.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Nikon 1 J5

    Quote Originally Posted by adipranoto View Post
    i'm using my v2 for a 'go everywhere' camera, replacing the old coolpix p5100.
    yes, i would skip using my nikon FF and use CX for my holiday trips.
    man.. getting older.. cant carry so much weight onto plane and for the whole trip.

  9. #9
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Event_Horizon View Post
    And D7200 too. I am keeping my V1 even though I just got the D7200.
    The 1 series AF-A in good light is amazing. Best interchangeable lens P&S camera bar none.
    If only they kept these design of v1, add a command dial and put a better sensor. It will own the market.

    Moved to a XT1, sold almost all my nikon 1 lenses but still keeping my v1 + 10mm. No mirrorless af comes close to the v1 so far...

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

    If only they kept these design of v1, add a command dial and put a better sensor. It will own the market.

    Moved to a XT1, sold almost all my nikon 1 lenses but still keeping my v1 + 10mm. No mirrorless af comes close to the v1 so far...
    I wonder what it would be like if they scale the Nikon 1 to an aps-c or ff size sensor. 1/16000 electronic shutter. Sounds a lot like the xt1 sans the phenomenal af speed.

  11. #11
    Senior Member richiemccaw1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,098

    Default Re: Nikon 1 J5

    Quote Originally Posted by mobeat View Post
    yes, i would skip using my nikon FF and use CX for my holiday trips.
    man.. getting older.. cant carry so much weight onto plane and for the whole trip.
    I prefer mirrorless for travels too. Too weak to lug so much gear around and still be able to enjoy the trip with my wife.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Nikon 1 J5

    Looks like a good one to get for my upcoming Europe holiday. Dun want to lug my bulky DX around..
    plus the spec for J5 looks good, and retro design is nice. In fact, the J4 spec already good enough for me, but J5 design and dials look better. Only thing is lack of hotshoe for all Jx. Would there be like a V4 or something, maybe with hotshoe?
    I'm new to this type of mirrorless cam...for normal holiday pix taking, should I just get the std 10-30mm, or should I also get the 30-100mm lens?
    Another newbie question: Would the J5 take 64G/128GB microSD?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: Nikon 1 J5

    If you are bringing a Nikon 1 camera for holiday, I would highly recommend the excellent Nikon CX 6.7-13mm to cover your wide angle needs. This together with the 10-30 and 30-110 should cover all your shooting needs.

  14. #14
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wmtan View Post
    If you are bringing a Nikon 1 camera for holiday, I would highly recommend the excellent Nikon CX 6.7-13mm to cover your wide angle needs. This together with the 10-30 and 30-110 should cover all your shooting needs.
    The 6.7-13 is excellent. Was painful to let it go.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Nikon 1 J5

    I quite like the new pz10-30mm. Save the hassle of a lens cap. Make it even more PnS.
    I had not one but two of the old 10-30mm showing lens error on me.
    Last edited by Event_Horizon; 6th April 2015 at 07:43 PM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Nikon 1 J5

    Quote Originally Posted by wmtan View Post
    If you are bringing a Nikon 1 camera for holiday, I would highly recommend the excellent Nikon CX 6.7-13mm to cover your wide angle needs. This together with the 10-30 and 30-110 should cover all your shooting needs.
    Thanks for the tip! From the selfie pix sample taken with the 10-30mm, it looks too close for comfort. Looks like the 6.7-13mm will help here..I'll prob ditch the 30-110.
    After reading up a bit: 10-30mm (CX) = 27-81mm (FX) = 18-54mm (DX)

    I also looked at the Panasonic DMC-GF7 & GX7: looks good too. My wife will like the selfie functions (pic taken automatically when both faces are close).

    But I like the Nikon 1 in that I can use my DX lenses with the FT-1 converter. Or I shouldn't bother...?
    Confused...

  17. #17

    Default Re: Nikon 1 J5

    Quote Originally Posted by jayzzz View Post
    Thanks for the tip! From the selfie pix sample taken with the 10-30mm, it looks too close for comfort. Looks like the 6.7-13mm will help here..I'll prob ditch the 30-110.
    After reading up a bit: 10-30mm (CX) = 27-81mm (FX) = 18-54mm (DX)

    I also looked at the Panasonic DMC-GF7 & GX7: looks good too. My wife will like the selfie functions (pic taken automatically when both faces are close).

    But I like the Nikon 1 in that I can use my DX lenses with the FT-1 converter. Or I shouldn't bother...?
    Confused...
    No flippy screen .. ie a lot of try and error in selfies.
    Though the FT-1 is fun to try, it is really useful for the long end due to the 2.7x crop. A 50mm becomes 135mm equi.
    However between choosing a brand new Nikon 1 70-300mm vs 70-300mm VR+FT1, I would rather take the former as it is smaller and get the full AF of Nikon 1 system.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Nikon 1 J5

    Quote Originally Posted by Event_Horizon View Post
    No flippy screen .. ie a lot of try and error in selfies.
    You are right! no flippy screen! What a setback!
    Makes my decision easier, looks like I may go for the Panasonic GF7.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Nikon 1 J5

    Wait ... the J5 does have a flip up screen!!
    Name:  nikon-j5-announcement-2015-03-450x242.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  22.5 KB

    http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/2/832...ed-price-specs
    Last edited by Event_Horizon; 7th April 2015 at 10:54 AM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Nikon 1 J5

    Ah hah! Good catch! Selfie friendly.
    OK, now it's back into the game for me...Hopefully PC show will have goodies bundled for this...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •