Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dengue Fever in Singapore getting worse?

Default Dengue Fever in Singapore getting worse?

Heard from news that everyday there are near a 100 case.

Any idea how serious this is?

Was told if a person got hit twice by dengue it's quite fatal?

Lightbulb Re: Dengue Fever in Singapore getting worse?

this week, more than 600 cases were reported in just five days, from tue to sat. it surpasses last week's 546, 493 from the week before and 414 from before that.

dengue cases so far this year has gone beyond 9000, including 8 dead. this is more than double that of last year for the same period.

Default Re: Dengue Fever in Singapore getting worse?

wonder why SG have not declared a state of emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by soma
    Heard from news that everyday there are near a 100 case.

Any idea how serious this is?

Was told if a person got hit twice by dengue it's quite fatal?
    actually I'm getting worried........
    it may end up like the SARS thingy.

Well, I think the problem is the mosquito fogging are done only on public areas eg drains, and mosquito are kept alive in private areas eg bungalows.

Quote Originally Posted by TMC
    wonder why SG have not declared a state of emergency.
    Because $$$

It's getting very serious and if stay at 100 case per day it will come out to 36500 case in a year.

Wonder our neighbour country have anything that serious.? Take into consideration that singapore is well know as a very CLEAN country.

Default Mosquito repellents, mosquito patch, trap devices: Does it work?

Yes, it is quite worrying as I have two small kids and I'm staying near a NE MRT construction area. Noticed the population of mosquitoes have increased three fold over the last few months.
    I have taken the following preventive measures but they do not seem to work:
    1) Sonic devices emitting low frequencies sound that are supposed to chase mosquito away
    2) Purple light devices with heating coil that kills mosquito when it is attracted by the light and goes too near to be "electrocuted"
    3) Anti mosquito patch to be worn on clothes
    4) Mosquito repellent (herbal formula) - applied on skin
    5) Mosquito coils or similar devices that heats up a "mat" and releases vapours into air

Tried all these and when I returned from shopping yesterday, still find 2 mosquitoes in the room, but they seemed lethargic, stuck to the cupboard and curtains and enabled you to kill them easily

Just wondering if these methods named above are just to scare away mosquitoes or kill them? Seriously after having spending so much money on them, I doubt it will work. In fact, the vapours are not really tested for long term side effects on humans or infant.....

Michael

Lightbulb Re: Mosquito repellents, mosquito patch, trap devices: Does it work?

i empathize with you. There isn't a foolproof method todate. Maybe, close all windows and switch on air conditioner may help if they comes in from outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael68
    Yes, it is quite worrying as I have two small kids and I'm staying near a NE MRT construction area. Noticed the population of mosquitoes have increased three fold over the last few months.
    1) Sonic devices emitting low frequencies sound that are supposed to chase mosquito away
    2) Purple light devices with heating coil that kills mosquito when it is attracted by the light and goes too near to be "electrocuted"
    5) Mosquito coils or similar devices that heats up a "mat" and releases vapours into air

Tried all these and when I returned from shopping yesterday, still find 2 mosquitoes in the room, but they seemed lethargic, stuck to the cupboard and curtains and enabled you to kill them easily

Just wondering if these methods named above are just to scare away mosquitoes or kill them? Seriously after having spending so much money on them, I doubt it will work. In fact, the vapours are not really tested for long term side effects on humans or infant.....

Michael

Lightbulb Re: Dengue Fever in Singapore getting worse?

too Clean for our own good?

Quote Originally Posted by soma
    Because $$$

It's getting very serious and if stay at 100 case per day it will come out to 36500 case in a year.

Wonder our neighbour country have anything that serious.? Take into consideration that singapore is well know as a very CLEAN country.

Default Re: Mosquito repellents, mosquito patch, trap devices: Does it work?

Michael
    I remember reading somewhere that:
    1. mosquito dont survive in cold temperature
    2. mosquito dont survive in high altitude

Thanks for sharing guys.
    Astin, it's true that they hate cold temperatures, so in an air-con room, unlikely to find any mosquitoes.
    For high altitude, that's what I thought so! But I have 2 friends who were down with dengue recently (and I told you, it is no joke! They felt as though they are dying....hearing their near death experiences makes me worry for the little ones...hence, the extreme measures!). One stays on high floor. So what was the doctor's reply?
    "The mosquito can take lift too"......ok, not intelligent mosquitoes, but some that happened to follow passengers into a lift, and follow the lift to the high storeys...that's how Aedes find their way to high floors too.....

Hopefully, the situation will improve in the next few weeks....

Michael

Talking about extreme measure...
    I used to live on a ground floor condo, and there were so many mosquito, 1 day I took revenge. I closed all the windows and doors, and sealed up the gaps, then sprayed the whole place with insecticide, then I run out and went for work (I lived alone). After that I had a few days of mosquito-free live...

Thats why I think mosquito are come from inside, "The enemy within".

It sucks to have dengue fever, I was hospitalised for 1 week in 2003 when I came down with it. Most awful I assure you. Best to just take preventive measures. If everyone does their part in making sure there's no stagnant water lying around their home or estate, I'm sure we can put this problem to rest.

Dengue fever have been disturbing Singaporeans for many years with rising numbers of people down with it. Every year the numbers increases but this year is horrible. Any higher, it will be a epidemic. Wonder what we did wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    I remember reading somewhere that:
    1. mosquito dont survive in cold temperature
    2. mosquito dont survive in high altitude
    Actually, there are mozzies in the artics and tibet.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Thanks for sharing guys.
    Astin, it's true that they hate cold temperatures, so in an air-con room, unlikely to find any mosquitoes.
    For high altitude, that's what I thought so! But I have 2 friends who were down with dengue recently (and I told you, it is no joke! They felt as though they are dying....hearing their near death experiences makes me worry for the little ones...hence, the extreme measures!). One stays on high floor. So what was the doctor's reply?
    "The mosquito can take lift too"......ok, not intelligent mosquitoes, but some that happened to follow passengers into a lift, and follow the lift to the high storeys...that's how Aedes find their way to high floors too.....

Hopefully, the situation will improve in the next few weeks....

Michael
    mozzies track their prey by using Cardon dioxide trails and by IR heat. It can follow the CO2 trails into the lifts and then juz track the next person out of the lift.

The best way to improve the situation is the breed mozzies natural enemy.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

The mosquitoes causing dengue are active at certain hours in the day only, I forgot what period, anyone knows? I will bring my airtight bag when visiting SG the next time to sleep in.......unless they are active during the day...........

HS

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN
    Actually, there are mozzies in the artics and tibet.
    U are just kidding right?
    Wonder whether there are any carbon dioxide trail in artics and tibet...
    And got water for them to breed?

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN
    mozzies track their prey by using Cardon dioxide trails and by IR heat. It can follow the CO2 trails into the lifts and then juz track the next person out of the lift.

The best way to improve the situation is the breed mozzies natural enemy.
    We should breed more dragonflies....

But with rapid urbanization and indiscriminate fogging... there are less dragonflies now. Thats what you get when you try to outsmart nature. You see all those forest and swamps we a bulldozing.... well, you can be sure some natural predators are exterminated as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast