Thread: using lens adaptor to downsize the ring, wont it disrupt field of view?

Default using lens adaptor to downsize the ring, wont it disrupt field of view?

Hi

if i downsize the thread from 55mm to 52mm, wont the field of vision be affected and subsequently pics you have taken be affected?
    sorry newbie here..

Default Re: using lens adaptor to downsize the ring, wont it disrupt field of view?

Quote Originally Posted by synergy9
    Hi

if i downsize the thread from 55mm to 52mm, wont the field of vision be affected and subsequently pics you have taken be affected?
    sorry newbie here..

Yup you got that right! ..It is always better to upsize like a 52mm filter adapter thread upsize to 62mm for example. If not what you might end up effect in your subsequent shots will be darken corners. How severe this will get depends on the depth of field setting via your selection of apeture setting. Usually this will be a big no-no especially with wide lens are in use...but in some situation you can get away with it if for example you are using a zoom lens like 18mm-70mm. There is a good chance that the downsize filter adapter and filter you place with it will still yearn some good shots minus the dark corner if you shoot at the telephoto range like maybe 50mm to 70mm.

You really need to play around abit with your lens and filters ( and their adapters ) to give you a good idea as to when you can use on your lens collection and when not to.

Usually I purchase up-size adapters and rarely do I see any need for getting those down-size ones. But I guess if you are limited due to having lens you previously purchased were of the 52mm and you have invested quite abit on 52mm filters..... and now, you migth have upgraded or bought a new lens that is with a larger diameter like 55mm or 62mm then you might need to buy a down-size adapter to still get some use out of your 52mm thread filters.

If you can afford it now or in time to come, it would be good to get new filters with larger diameters. There is not many filters to buy these days as compared to my early days of photography about 20 yrs back. These days, the only filter you might need are maybe a UV filter(which doubles as a protective filter to guard your precious lens), a circular polariser and maybe a Neutral density filte and/or gradual neutral filter. The last two are really not a "must-have". The reason why you can get away with not having to buy so many effect filters is because you can do most of those effect on your computer with Photoshop or some other graphic processing program.