Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV......It's so frustrating these days!!!

Default TV......It's so frustrating these days!!!

I have given up watching TV for almost 4 yrs now except for the occasional programs (like News). My watch-meter for the TV is abt 30min a week max!
    It's nothing but adverts & trailers every 10-15ms or so. Every channel is the same be it Mediacorp or Cable.....The adverts/trailers spoils and even ruins the 'tempo' and fluidity of watching of movie. Grrrrrrr.....argghhhhh!

I really cannot stand those repeated trailers of coming attractions...walau, it's like really brain-doping you with constant bombardments.....

Maybe my tolerance level for adverts/trailers is low.
    Yes, to make it worse, the adverts lack intelligence & wit compared to foreign ones which we hardly get too see.

Do you guys feel the same way?

Default Re: TV......It's so frustrating these days!!!

simple solution --> VCR

slight more ex solution --> DVDRecoder, can record AND play at the same time. Means if u start watching a 60minute show starting at 1pm, u shld start 'watching the beginning of the show' at 1.15pm, so that when the commerials start, u can FF, and u shld finish watching around 2pm. waiting for DVDrecorder price to come down to $200..hehe

IMHO, don't need a DVD recorder, there's nothing to record anyway.

Besides occassionaly watching news, the only time I watched tv is when I switched on tv, and have a glance before I switched to the video channel.

Same here, I only watch the Discovery Channel and BBC, CNN, Channel News Asia.

Yep. bought a dvd recorder. tried recording and editing out the adverts but after a while, got sick of it and gave up.
    Nowadays, it's the DVD or the cinemas. For news, its the good ole newspapers & the internet. Anyway, sick of all those realityTV programs. Utter rubbish and waste of time.

Phildate
    Guests

What made me laugh on Wednesday on Star World was the ending of One Tree Hill - there was the real cliffhanger ending where the blond one went 'flatline' (sorry i don't know the name as I don't follow it - had turned on for INXS Rockstar) and the screen went black and silent with To Be Continued....

Followed by a Star World trailer for next week's show showing him recovered in bed. Oh my god. How stupid can these TV execs/producers be???

Yup. Those reality shows are rather silly to me. Now there's more and more of it. From games to challenges to romance. What next? I too am planning to get a DVD recorder once price drops a bit more. I only watch National Geographic and Discovery. Stop watchhing normal tv programs for 5 years now.

I just watch DVDs these days, particularly collection of TV programs.

Quote Originally Posted by peppercrab1
    I have given up watching TV for almost 4 yrs now except for the occasional programs (like News). My watch-meter for the TV is abt 30min a week max!
    It's nothing but adverts & trailers every 10-15ms or so. Every channel is the same be it Mediacorp or Cable.....The adverts/trailers spoils and even ruins the 'tempo' and fluidity of watching of movie. Grrrrrrr.....argghhhhh!

I really cannot stand those repeated trailers of coming attractions...walau, it's like really brain-doping you with constant bombardments.....

Maybe my tolerance level for adverts/trailers is low.
    Yes, to make it worse, the adverts lack intelligence & wit compared to foreign ones which we hardly get too see.

Do you guys feel the same way?
    Wow ....30min /week..... mine is lesser than yours....

rgds,
    sulhan

most of the tv shows are for entertainment, if u dun feel entertained then dun watch lor ....

Use to have good show on tv and the station make money from advertisement so cannot complain. Then u need to watch paid tv to avoid advertisement since there is no income on that. Now it's lot of advertisement on tv and always repeated show and the paid tv is also having as many advertisements too. Maybe in future, the isp will give free acess but every 30mins of surfing the internet, the traffic will stop and we all have to watch 10mins of advertisement hahaha.
    Last edited by whoelse; 9th September 2005 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whoelse
    Use to have good show on tv and the station make money from advertisement so cannot complain. Then u need to watch paid tv to avoid advertisement since there is no income on that. Now it's lot of advertisement on tv and always repeated show and the paid tv is also having as many advertisements too. Maybe in future, the isp will give free acess but every 30mins of surfing the internet, the traffic will stop and we all have to watch 10mins of advertisement hahaha.
    wah... hahahaha.

Mediacorp has nothing intelligent to offer IMHO.After the death of Channel I and Sportscity, it's been Internet all the way for me.

And I don't believe in paying and supporting a cable TV monopoly.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Sportscity is still available on ...i just watched it last night...??

TV for me is only for watching HBO, ESPN and AXN, maybe NG or DC...other than that, it's all PS2 for me..
    eat. drink. shoot

SG still has free to air TV? thought that become informercials a long long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by reno77
    Same here, I only watch the Discovery Channel and BBC, CNN, Channel News Asia.
    At least here in HK, Discovery, Nat Geoand others also have ads every 5-10 mins!! And they are all repeated ads on their own programmes, and going on fo rmonths and months.........its even worse! But the programmes are good, so I keep watching......

Hong Sien

Phildate
    Guests

At least we have BBC Prime now. Some good shows on that - switched on yesterday evening and watched Sounds of the Sixties (just fascinating to see videos of people like Roy Orbison, The Seekers, etc...) and then Top Gear Extra (Jeremy Clarkson being his normally hilarious, insensitive, politically incorrect self). Will have to check the schedules but I'll post here if something extra good is going to be on.

Same with the newspapers in SG, more than half are ads, I don't mind ads, but they put them in between the news, so much so that it is hard to find the news :-), they become like a neighborhood newspapers, ads are now more important than news itself!

That's how low these papers can become these days...............

HS

TV is good. I always put it on when I have an afternoon nap in the weekends. It's good to have some human voices around the place.

I like reruns because after the nap I still know the part that I've missed. Let's roll "King Kong" again!

Quote Originally Posted by togu
    IMHO, don't need a DVD recorder, there's nothing to record anyway.

Besides occassionaly watching news, the only time I watched tv is when I switched on tv, and have a glance before I switched to the video channel.
    Aiya you watch Jewel in the Palace good enough lar.......no need others....!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast