Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 71 of 71

Thread: Dear Cheap but good photographer: you are ruining my life and this industry

  1. #61

    Default Re: Dear Cheap but good photographer: you are ruining my life and this industry

    slightly OT, I just saw a school corporate video go to an unknown vendor (no website, no online presence at all) on GeBIZ for $2,500.

    I personally cannot wrap my head around how it is possible to do all that for so little.

    I can only say good luck and good riddance. Move on to the next better customer.
    Last edited by Deunamist; 14th April 2015 at 06:33 PM.

  2. #62

    Default Re: Dear Cheap but good photographer: you are ruining my life and this industry

    Quote Originally Posted by Deunamist View Post
    slightly OT, I just saw a school corporate video go to an unknown vendor (no website, no online presence at all) on GeBIZ for $2,500.

    I personally cannot wrap my head around how it is possible to do all that for so little.

    I can only say good luck and good riddance. Move on to the next better customer.
    Things like these set a precedence. Next year their budget goes down to $2500 or even less. And other schools will follow suit because the bar was lowered. Don't you think they won't compare notes and spending and have some traditional civil service mindset competition of who can save more money and score more points?

    The people who did it for short term goals either crashed and burned or had moved on. People who depended on this gigs for years to make a living, suffered. The farms they been nurturing and plounging for years gone when some new knights in shining armor trampled over their fields in pursuit of glory.
    Last edited by JasonB; 16th April 2015 at 11:23 AM.

  3. #63

    Default Re: Dear Cheap but good photographer: you are ruining my life and this industry

    I know, right. I spoke to a govt client whom I've retained and they say they are always encouraged to look at the price first. Otherwise they must provide a damn solid justification as to why they should pay more than the lowest bidder.

  4. #64

    Default Re: Dear Cheap but good photographer: you are ruining my life and this industry

    Quote Originally Posted by Deunamist View Post
    I know, right. I spoke to a govt client whom I've retained and they say they are always encouraged to look at the price first. Otherwise they must provide a damn solid justification as to why they should pay more than the lowest bidder.
    This is a standard protocol especially in the civil service. If you don't provide any justifications, how can you spend more if you could have spent lesser.

  5. #65

    Default Re: Dear Cheap but good photographer: you are ruining my life and this industry

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    This is a standard protocol especially in the civil service. If you don't provide any justifications, how can you spend more if you could have spent lesser.
    a bit dumb right? the whole system was set up to protect govt agencies. fine in that regard. however, then who protects the vendors' interests?

  6. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deunamist View Post

    a bit dumb right? the whole system was set up to protect govt agencies. fine in that regard. however, then who protects the vendors' interests?
    Well no one ask or expect vendors to be so stupid..

    Whole Spore kopitiam kopi got average price say abt $0.90cts, some of course sell more expensive, but you won't find shops selling cheaper & cheaper 60cts, 50cts, 30cts..But photography vendors special breed lah..lol

  7. #67

    Default

    Agree. Photographer is a special breed. Cheap and free .. some even beg for job ro get portfolio.

  8. #68
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: Dear Cheap but good photographer: you are ruining my life and this industry

    Quote Originally Posted by Deunamist View Post
    a bit dumb right? the whole system was set up to protect govt agencies. fine in that regard. however, then who protects the vendors' interests?
    Nobody will give a damn if vendors don't look after themselves. Period.

  9. #69

    Default Re: Dear Cheap but good photographer: you are ruining my life and this industry

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Nobody will give a damn if vendors don't look after themselves. Period.
    agree, however, there is only so much we can do, if the client chooses to go for price over quality or reputation.
    Last edited by Deunamist; 18th April 2015 at 01:24 AM.

  10. #70
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Dear Cheap but good photographer: you are ruining my life and this industry

    Quote Originally Posted by Deunamist View Post
    agree, however, there is only so much we can do, if the client chooses to go for price over quality or reputation.
    If good vendors all tahan and not take jobs below market rate, they get some idiot that blotch the job, you will get your justification next year...

    Remember "Honey Loook!"?

    Problem is, someone always chickens out and say ok to lower price....

  11. #71

    Default Re: Dear Cheap but good photographer: you are ruining my life and this industry

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    If good vendors all tahan and not take jobs below market rate, they get some idiot that blotch the job, you will get your justification next year...

    Remember "Honey Loook!"?

    Problem is, someone always chickens out and say ok to lower price....
    It's call laziness in some part but in another part, some people can't differentiate between ok and better and it is difficult to justify ok and Best for the pricing.

    In all honesty, we can't fix a price or so call the market rate. Different people have different risk appetite, different cost structure, different stage of their business. What is a better solution is for individual vendor to do their best and use their best ability to market their work to the right target audience.

    When you guys are discussing $2500 is low for video (which I know the amount of work involve), you should see the genre I practice... I have people shooting newborn at $300-400 with softcopy included. I charge $450 just to do the shoot with everything else extra. So naturally, if it is based in cost, there is no way, I will get any shoot. Rather than worry about it... I put my work to people who is looking for work that I produce.

    So stop worry about the competition, but do your part in your business to make it better. Whinning won't get you any where.

    Hart

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •