Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which camera to start with?

Default Re: Which camera to start with?

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    EOS 20D

with 8mp, 5 fps, digicII engine, ability to take AA batteries via grip, embossed logo, new diamond pattern AF, almost zero start-up lag, etc, it will be pro enough for you

until you discover that there is something called the 1D
    Of cos 20D is good..
    But I cannot afford..
    If your budet is high,.. ya.. go for 20D, 10D... or even MkII
    If your budget is low (Below 2K)... i shall suggest 300D, 350D or D70, (I think D50 is also quite cheap, although Im not sure about its price)

Yes.. if your budget is below S$500, then you can't possibly get a 1st hand Digital SLR.
    Last edited by waiaung; 11th September 2005 at 06:59 PM.
    My Gallery at DeviantART http://waiaung.deviantart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Phildate
    Don't ask the Pros - they will say D2X or 1DS mk11!! haha

I am running photography courses for beginners and often get asked " What camera should i get for less than $500?" and my suggestion is always to get a film SLR with a kit lens and on top of this, buy a 50mm f1.8 lens. You can get a Canon EOS 66 + 28-70mm kit lens + case + 50mm f1.8 for around $460 (price quoted to me over the phone by Parisilk in HV).
    Or you can consider some used stuff - especially film cameras are going for a song - mostly becos many have been moving on to dSLR and less and less keeping their film camera. I got a film camera in my dry-cab which I haven't touch for almost a year. I wanted to sell it away, but the going price is so very low and hardly any takers.

The great thing in buying used is that you can sell it away at almost the same price! That is if you wish to change your mind after a few months or a few days!
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    A DSLR with big sensor and manual exposure control will give u more "pro shots", not immediately, but eventually. Just remember the learning curve is very steep, and takes long time and many practise.
    The fundamental difference between a SLR and a non-SLR is the principle of the viewfinder. Most photographic techniques do not care about what viewfinder (if any) is used. Therefore, the learning curve using a dSLR should be similar to using any other camera.

In today's market, it just happens that many affordable non-SLRs are severely crippled feature-wise. Their learning curve is not less steep: one just reaches the limits of the equipment sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    In today's market, it just happens that many affordable non-SLRs are severely crippled feature-wise. Their learning curve is not less steep: one just reaches the limits of the equipment sooner.
    For me, the more "crippled" the features, the better it is! In fact, my favorite camera is so crippled that I have the word "settings" do not apply to it!

Spend a little bit more and get 300D, 350D, D50 or D70s. Start with the kit lens first, my all time favourite kits lens is the Nikkor 18-70, its is light, AF-S and excellent for street/travel photography.

The most expensive camera is certainly not the camera to start with. From a personal perspective, I only favour the digital medium for studio work and odd exposures like bulb exposures, double/triple exposure and flash photography.

I find that the best starting camera is a fully manual film camera. Either a rangefinder or a film SLR would do fine. My personal preference is for a film SLR because it's usually cheaper and is somewhat easier to use because you don't have to compensate for parallax error. I find the old nikon SLRs are better than the Canon ones as the lenses can still be mounted onto the latest digital bodies if you choose to go down that route later, as you probably will. A good rangefinder system could also grow on you as you continue on in photography, so yup it's definitely worth a consideration as well. Yup, you DEFINITELY will make A LOT of mistakes and botch up your shots MANY, MANY times and waste $$ and time processing film in the process and ruining shots. BUT, you will definitely remember why you botched up a shot because it cost you $ and time and you'll learn the hard way , but more importantly because of that the lessons stick.

Another feature of manual focus is because you actually take time to focus the shot (you usually spend a half minute for each shot when you first start out), you also spend a half minute looking at what's in your viewfinder while checking out whether the images are properly focused. It improves on your composition loads because you spend that half minute more thinking about your image as well as compared to say a digital SLR, point, half-squeeze, full-squeeze. You'll be very prone to being trigger-happy with a DSLR and thinking is often rare on your first few hundred frames.

Another great thing about the manual cam is that it's all you. Exposure screws up, it's you. Exposure is spot on the way you want it, it's you. Focus is whacked, your eye is backfocussing , not the lens. There is much less functions, or "features", between you and the image. I find it so much more intimate to photograph with a manual rangefinder for instance, than say an MKII.

Then again, maybe I'm old school If I were to recommend a starting cam? A Yashica Electro 35 GN ($100) should start you off right. Wanna buy into a system? Go for a Nikon FM, FM2? F3 maybe? Just food for thought.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

film camera is very expensive to maintain expecially in the area of film roll, processing in prints and/or digitally.

yes, that u will tends to be trigger happy in digital. it will take u slightly more shoots to make u think about composition and some other aspects. but at least u will not make wasted trips as u will try to get it right at that time and place. it is all about self discipline.

it is either u spend more at one time or spend it more over a period. sometimes buying more film roll and thinking about processing the film will make u think for a second about photography as a hobby.

i have to disagree about all digital photos must do post processing. it is all about knowing that camera settings and making full use of it. at least most of my shoots i dont (not that i know fully about what my cam can do yet).

do consider other brands type like olympus or KM. they do have fine cameras.

It depends on budget ! and future plans (eg.. overseas photography trips)

For me, i am a new user to DLSR, just bot a KM 5D at Commex, was recommended by experts to go for promo tat offers freebies such as extra memory cards, extra lens, and a bag, if possible a dry electric cabinet, becos getting fungus infection is no joke ! very potential in SGP weather.

As told, as a starter, brand is not important but a good company of seasoned photographers as your friends and buddies will be very helpful in your quest for such hobby.

Between Canon, Nikon, Konica which is the prefered choice?

Quote Originally Posted by blurrblurr
    For DSLR, Its Canon and Nikon.
    There are many many many many Canoners and Nikonians here on Clubsnap.
    Not many uses Konica though.
    My Gallery at DeviantART http://waiaung.deviantart.com

Quote Originally Posted by blurrblurr
    Bear in mind that when buying either of the above brands, you are actually buying a camera system and not a camera alone. So get a brand that support your future needs, eg: lenses etc...

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhiew
    Bear in mind that when buying either of the above brands, you are actually buying a camera system and not a camera alone. So get a brand that support your future needs, eg: lenses etc...
    Ya I had include that as mine consideration.

To hijack the thread a little, I am considering between the D70s and 350D. But must say was very impressed by E300, the only hold back was that is has to be "boosted" to go beyond ISO400, which does not provide sufficient justifcation for mi to upgrade from my current Canon S1.

I have read that the D70/s was developed to compete with the 20D, however, at a price that is much lesser. Hence, after internet researchs and "field trips" to various cam shops, i was kinda inclined to by the D70s instead of the 350D cuz of the better kit len.

However, after toking to a co-worker, i was alightened that Nikon is like dieing off as they "spend less on research". Since buying a SLR is as good as buying the whole system, i started to rethink things.

Is Nikon really dieing off? It seems that there are a wealth of new lens for Canon system, but the nikon range of digital lens, seems to be lagging behind.

Any more knowledgable CSer wanna share your view?

I think I can "have a say" here as I've used all three types P& S, Proconsumer and now DSLR.

Given all the comments from our bros above, I'd like to agree with them but also come from a different perspective.

First of all consider your budget.
    P&S can be $500 and below. So you pay for what you get.
    Proconsumer is at least above $500 but closer to $1000. eg. the Canon PS S2 is about $800. Nikon 8800 is over $1000.
    DSLR starts from $1200. eg the cheapest is the D50 now at about $1300. (I should know as I just bought one). Some other brand may be cheaper, dunno.
    SLR (i.e. nonD SLR) is cheap but be prepared for all the film issues. Of cos nowadays, the cam shops offers processing into CDs so you need not keep negatives any longer but the costs involved may be higher in the long run. eg. with DSLR, you can easily shoot 1000 pics and delete those you do not want to keep. Can you do that with film ( i meant cost effectively)?

Secondly, are you open to second hand cams?
    P&S - doesn't apply as it so cheap already.
    Proconsumer - NOT advisable to get second hand as these cams are "very dependant on electronics" and even a cam of 1 year old can cause you expensive repair later. eg the gears that run the zoom can wear off and needs replacement.....
    DSLR - cheap to get second hand. DSLR has electronic parts but it's usually quite lasting and less issue than the procon counterpart. The lens are practically non issue as long as there are no scratches or fungal issue (which you can still clean). You can always change the body (to upgrade or if it fails on you).

So there are options for you and there's no right or wrong. It's your choice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005
    As told, as a starter, brand is not important but a good company of seasoned photographers as your friends and buddies will be very helpful in your quest for such hobby.
    brand is important as you can get help from other users and borrow stuff, like battery.

So see what your kakis are using and follow

Just chanced upon here, lotsa good advices.. pretty insightful i must say..

few more days before i trade in my A70 for S2.. hope i'm going down the right path..

Quote Originally Posted by kloozo
    Just chanced upon here, lotsa good advices.. pretty insightful i must say..

few more days before i trade in my A70 for S2.. hope i'm going down the right path..
    A70 is a good cam. If it's not spoilt, keep it. Can use it for quick getaways, etc when you do not want to carry too much stuff. Anyway, the trade-in value for A70 is peanuts nowadays cos new P&S cams are so cheap. I kept mine cos can just pop in AA bat when I need to so can keep it for emergency stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by John Khoo
    A70 is a good cam. If it's not spoilt, keep it. Can use it for quick getaways, etc when you do not want to carry too much stuff. Anyway, the trade-in value for A70 is peanuts nowadays cos new P&S cams are so cheap. I kept mine cos can just pop in AA bat when I need to so can keep it for emergency stuff.
    bo bian ah... my A70 went dead, like everybody else's

it was good while it lasted...

Quote Originally Posted by kloozo
    bo bian ah... my A70 went dead, like everybody else's

it was good while it lasted...

oic,....so sad....

But Canon allows for trade in so check it out. (Yes even dead cams.) I had an old A20 which my wife dropped and the lense went crooked....Canon allow to trade it in but I went Nikon so too bad.

Can trade in for their 350D or even higher.
    Last edited by John Khoo; 16th September 2005 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Khoo
    oic,....so sad....

But Canon allows for trade in so check it out. (Yes even dead cams.) I had an old A20 which my wife dropped and the lense went crooked....Canon allow to trade it in but I went Nikon so too bad.

Can trade in for their 350D or even higher.
    John, you mention about trading in, would this be limited to certain shops only or all authorized dealer will accept a trade in? any where I can check out on the rebate?

Another reason to go for the 350D instead of the D70s

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast