Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XT1 or 6D

Default Re: XT1 or 6D

Quote Originally Posted by Ambivert View Post
    Still working it out in my head. From what I have gathered, work-wise the 6d would be the more logical choice. Especially for the AF-system over the XT1. The thing is that Canon glass is expensive, and the fuji offers a cheaper alternative.
    I'm a 6D user myself, simply happy with it.

But is X-T1 AF system really that bad? I've read some reviews and mostly say good AF overall.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentSeth View Post

But is X-T1 AF system really that bad? I've read some reviews and mostly say good AF overall.
    The 6D centre AF point is superb, and pretty reliable.

Outside of Sony a6000 and maybe Olympus bodies, I think the AF is just not that reliable and quick enough for events. It is probably good enough for family and posed shots. For paid jobs I guess you just need to be that much more certain about AF. It's not a Fuji thing, but more of where mirrorless AF technology is at today. With the a6000 we are starting to see some real advances so hopefully it will filter through to the other manufacturers too.

Quote Originally Posted by richiemccaw1 View Post
    The 6D centre AF point is superb, and pretty reliable.

Outside of Sony a6000 and maybe Olympus bodies, I think the AF is just not that reliable and quick enough for events. It is probably good enough for family and posed shots. For paid jobs I guess you just need to be that much more certain about AF. It's not a Fuji thing, but more of where mirrorless AF technology is at today. With the a6000 we are starting to see some real advances so hopefully it will filter through to the other manufacturers too.
    I see. Admittedly I never owned a mirrorless, only managed to try some Pen and NEX 3-4 years ago.

below average AF for the current mirrorless cameras. i have a 5d3, a gm1 and a xt1. the gm1, if u set it to pre af and 1 touch shutter release, is faster than a nikon d4. but then it is too fast that you are not sure whether its focusing where u want it. haha.

the 5d3 is awesome. i used 1 series before and of course its not as fast but good enough.

the xt1 is great if i have all the time in the world to make sure the af is locked on and thats in good light. in poor light, u need to be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysjerricky View Post
    Actually price wise Canon and Fuji glass are around the same price (if you don't take into account Canon's ultra expensive L lens lineup). For wide angle canon's 17-40 is cheaper than the 10-24. For primes, Canon's 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8 are slighter cheaper alternatives to Fuji's 35mm 1.4 and 56mm 1.2, putting IQ aside. The 24-105/24-70 are also slighting cheaper than Fuji's 16-55 2.8 lens. But do take note that the Fuji lenses I have mentioned above have fantastic IQ too.
    Oh, so it's totally fine for the Canon 6D to run non L lenses? Had the impression only L lenses would give the green light.

Blog Entries

XT1's continuous AF is quite weak in low light. In ok light it is acceptable. EM1's continuous af is much better but still lagging mid to high end dslrs.

Oh, so it's totally fine for the Canon 6D to run non L lenses? Had the impression only L lenses would give the green light.
    It's nowhere stated that the 6D cannot run non-L lenses. All EF lenses can be used as well 3rd party lenses designed for full frame cameras.
    The only thing you cannot mount are EF-S lenses and the equivalent 3rd party lenses for APS-C sensors. (The latter can be mounted but will cause physical vignetting.)
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    the gm1, if u set it to pre af and 1 touch shutter release, is faster than a nikon d4. but then it is too fast that you are not sure whether its focusing where u want it. haha.
    .. LOOOLL

Hmm Canon do produce some good non L lenses for FF as well, such as 50mm, 85mm, 100mm macro, 70-300mm etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_E...t_of_EF_lenses

Don't forget 3rd party brands as well such as Tokina, Tamron and Sigma. Or go manual with Zeiss etc

Hmm Canon do produce some good non L lenses for FF as well, such as 50mm, 85mm, 100mm macro, 70-300mm etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_E...t_of_EF_lenses

Don't forget 3rd party brands as well such as Tokina, Tamron and Sigma. Or go manual with Zeiss etc
    The new Sigma lens are pretty good, especially the ART line. (Bit heavy, but the quality is over the top for a fraction of the Canon/Nikon prices) - Sigma 50ART, 35ART, and the coming 24ART will run you just slightly above SGD1k, with excellent resale value. If you're going APS-C, the Sigma 18-35/1.8 is an amazing zoom.

The thing with autofocus on Fuji (I've used the fuji x-t1/x100s/t exclusively on many trips) is not the speed. Its the reliability. It does catch focus fast, but sometimes it doesnt, and its a very steep learning curve on what's good to point at to autofocus. Continous autofocus is even worst. Doesn't help that Fuji in singapore is quite pricey, and your total cost of ownership can be higher then a full frame setup. (I use nikon, and primes are cheap)

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    The new Sigma lens are pretty good, especially the ART line. (Bit heavy, but the quality is over the top for a fraction of the Canon/Nikon prices) - Sigma 50ART, 35ART, and the coming 24ART will run you just slightly above SGD1k, with excellent resale value. If you're going APS-C, the Sigma 18-35/1.8 is an amazing zoom.

The thing with autofocus on Fuji (I've used the fuji x-t1/x100s/t exclusively on many trips) is not the speed. Its the reliability. It does catch focus fast, but sometimes it doesnt, and its a very steep learning curve on what's good to point at to autofocus. Continous autofocus is even worst. Doesn't help that Fuji in singapore is quite pricey, and your total cost of ownership can be higher then a full frame setup. (I use nikon, and primes are cheap)
    From what I've seen, the price and weight of lenses favour Fuji (my opinion). Especially if I'm going to set up with primes. I guess the autofocus with the Fuji can be worked around? The 6d's AF system is not exactly fast from what I have gathered.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12