Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 62

Thread: Population Growth in Singapore since Independence

  1. #21
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post

    Dude,

    I was born in Selangor in the 60s. My father's a Singaporean whose a traveling saleman from Singapre to Malaysia ( when Singapore still was part of Malaya) He met my mother in the 1950s, got married and lived for a while in KL stationed there by his company. Move back to Singapore where I did Primary 1. I did my National service in the Police force for 2.5 years. Did my reservist till I turn 40 about 12 years ago. I paid my taxes, gave CPF and work hard to get what I need to survive here.

    So.. AM I A TRUE BLUE SINGAPOREAN in your eyes? How do you define True Blue?
    Like i said. Singapore is a country formed by immigrants. You just said so yourself too. And your grandparents and their grandparents? Where are they from? Who gave us the right to say we are true blue vs the son of a new citizen family who just served NS.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Population Growth in Singapore since Independence

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Are there really true blood singaporeans? Singapore is a country made up of immigrants... fyi
    Yes, most of our forefathers were immigrants from China, India, Malaysia, etc. But most of them are already gone by now. Their second generations who were born in Singapore qualified as true blue Singaporeans. Their subsequent generations born in Singapore also qualified.

  3. #23
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post

    Yes, most of our forefathers were immigrants from China, India, Malaysia, etc. But most of them are already gone by now. Their second generations who were born in Singapore who qualified as true blue Singaporeans. Their subsequent generations born in Singapore also qualified.
    Son of new citizens. Qualify? Served or serving NS. qualify?

    Old folk who came from China. Some are not gone yet. But lived in Singapore their whole life. Do they.qualify as true blue singaporeans?

    Lines are not that clear. I do not agree with certain govt policies as well. But i refuse to start discriminating race or country of origin because that is the way of bigots.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 12th March 2015 at 08:34 PM.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Population Growth in Singapore since Independence

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Dude,

    I was born in Selangor in the 60s. My father's a Singaporean whose a traveling saleman from Singapre to Malaysia ( when Singapore still was part of Malaya) He met my mother in the 1950s, got married and lived for a while in KL stationed there by his company. Move back to Singapore where I did Primary 1. I did my National service in the Police force for 2.5 years. Did my reservist till I turn 40 about 12 years ago. I paid my taxes, gave CPF and work hard to get what I need to survive here.

    So.. AM I A TRUE BLUE SINGAPOREAN in your eyes? How do you define True Blue?
    What was your initial citizenship when you were born in Malaysia?

  5. #25

    Default Re: Population Growth in Singapore since Independence

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Son of new citizens. Qualify? Served or serving NS. qualify?
    By the context, if the sons of the new citizens were born and raised in Singapore, then they do qualified.

  6. #26
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post

    By the context, if the sons of the new citizens were born and raised in Singapore, then they do qualified.
    Old folk who came from China. Some are not gone yet. But lived in Singapore their whole life. Do they qualify as true blue singaporeans?

  7. #27
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post

    By the context, if the sons of the new citizens were born and raised in Singapore, then they do qualified.
    Since they are true blue singaporeans, can their parents stay in singapore?

  8. #28
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    And the initial wording used was "true blood". What bloodline does singaporeans have? What i am hearing now is akin to the same BS some dude said in germany in 1940s.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Population Growth in Singapore since Independence

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Old folk who came from China. Some are not gone yet. But lived in Singapore their whole life. Do they qualify as true blue singaporeans?
    By strict definition, they are not. For example, a PRC guy who was 30 years old migrated to Singapore; obtained Citizenship; lived in Singapore till his last day here; is still not qualify as true blue Singaporean. His root/attachment is still with China.

    If he is married with kids who are born and raise in Singapore, they are qualified.

  10. #30
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Population Growth in Singapore since Independence

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Like i said. Singapore is a country formed by immigrants. You just said so yourself too. And your grandparents and their grandparents? Where are they from? Who gave us the right to say we are true blue vs the son of a new citizen family who just served NS.
    I understand what you mean but like I would ask you.. when do you stop calling someone an immigrant and start to call them a true blue? You have to stop somewhere when you put up a definition like that word as everyone basically is an immigrant if you study the science of evolution and migration of the human species. If you do you would know the human origin from the region in Africa. So you might say I am going "too far" back but then fine.. So where do we start calling someone True Blue (Blood) or not? heheheh

    The word True-Blue mean "staunchly loyal to, extremely loyal or orthodox " it is not so much about a nationality of a land or indigenous.

    For example I can say,, I am a True Blue Singaporean in that if another country were to invade, I would lay down my life to fight for my country.

    NOTE: I add this as I now saw you mentioned True Blood. I think there is also nothing taken literally or scientific proven but just an analogy when you say True Blood because really what does blood in that sense mean ? I am not saying anything here in argument to the which foreign nationalities are here or more then locals. That argument to me is not going to change what is happening in Singapore . I just want to know what the definitions are when we use terms like True Blue or True Blood or anything to that effect to make a point or argument.

    Btw, last i read in a NTUC insurance pamplet, there are 1.3 million + PRC here alone.. not counting others.. now that is something that caught me off guards 2 years ago.
    Last edited by sammy888; 12th March 2015 at 08:59 PM. Reason: typo and clarity
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Population Growth in Singapore since Independence

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Since they are true blue singaporeans, can their parents stay in singapore?
    Why not? Their parents already gotten their Citizenship. Their parents can also choose to renounce it if they wish too and go back to their country of origin. They have a choice.

  12. #32
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post

    I understand what you mean but like I would ask you.. when do you stop calling someone an immigrant and start to call them a true blue? You have to stop somewhere when you put up a definition like that word as everyone basically is an immigrant if you study the science of evolution and migration of the human species. If you do you would know the human origin from the region in Africa. So you might say I am going "too far" back but then fine.. So where do we start calling someone True Blue or not? heheheh

    The word True-Blue mean "staunchly loyal to, extremely loyal or orthodox " it is not so much about a nationality of a land or indigenous.

    For example I can say,, I am a treu blue Singapore in that if another country were to invade, I would lay down my life to fight for my country.
    Read my original post. The wording is true BLOOD. And i was replying to someone who used that term.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 12th March 2015 at 08:45 PM.

  13. #33
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post

    By strict definition, they are not. For example, a PRC guy who was 30 years old migrated to Singapore; obtained Citizenship; lived in Singapore till his last day here; is still not qualify as true blue Singaporean. His root/attachment is still with China.

    If he is married with kids who are born and raise in Singapore, they are qualified.
    Then you should answer sammy's post.

    To me there is no such definition. Maybe that is your personal definition. definitely not mine.

  14. #34
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post

    Why not? Their parents already gotten their Citizenship. Their parents can also choose to renounce it if they wish too and go back to their country of origin. They have a choice.
    My question is, do you or other CSers here have a problem with that. Because i am hearing very some very anti-foreigner sentiments here.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Population Growth in Singapore since Independence

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Then you should answer sammy's post.

    To me there is no such definition. Maybe that is your personal definition. definitely not mine.
    Ok, to each of its own. To you, there is no distinction, but to me, there is. Let not debate it further.

    However, by your reasoning, any foreigners who are converted to Citizens qualified as true blue Singaporeans?

  16. #36

    Default Re: Population Growth in Singapore since Independence

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    My question is, do you or other CSers here have a problem with that. Because i am hearing very some very anti-foreigner sentiments here.
    I do sense there are some anti-sentiment among some members.

    To all members, please keep to the context of the statistics. Do not get too emotional or personal.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Population Growth in Singapore since Independence

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    My question is, do you or other CSers here have a problem with that. Because i am hearing very some very anti-foreigner sentiments here.
    I do not have any anti-sentiment towards foreigners.

    I am discussing based on the statistics and definition of what constitutes a true blue Singaporean.

  18. #38
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post

    Ok, to each of its own. To you, there is no distinction, but to me, there is. Let not debate it further.

    However, by your reasoning, any foreigners who are converted to Citizens qualified as true blue Singaporeans?
    There are no true blood singaporeans. Because be it 2nd generation or third, our ancestry is still from somewhere else and is actually not that far away. People ask you your dialect group you will still say i am cantonese, hokkien, teochew... not i am singaporean.

    Singaporeans are simply people who are citizens of singapore. None of this new vs true blue BS. All citizens are accorded the same rights.and treatment. There is no 2nd class citizens.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 12th March 2015 at 09:00 PM.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Population Growth in Singapore since Independence

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    There are no true blood singaporeans.

    Singaporeans are simply people who are citizens of singapore. None of this new vs true blue BS. All citizens are accorded the same rights.and treatment. There is no 2nd class citizens.
    Yes, these are the definitions from our government too. No such thing as second class because we worked based on meritocracy.

    That is the primary reason why a lot of foreigners wanted to migrate to Singapore for the past 20 years.

  20. #40
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Population Growth in Singapore since Independence

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    What was your initial citizenship when you were born in Malaysia?
    My passport then? I was in my mother's passport when I came to Singapore with my family as it duly practiced then. Then when I was old enough still in Primary school I got my pink I/C and a blue passport till I turn 21 by which time I have to go to the Commissioner of Oath by law to officially renounce any interest to get a Malaysia passport even when I was serving NS from 18 years old.
    Last edited by sammy888; 12th March 2015 at 09:20 PM.
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •