Thread: Questions on Ni-MH Rechargeable Batteries

Default Questions on Ni-MH Rechargeable Batteries

Hi There,

Was wondering if anyone can help me with the following questions on consumer Ni-MH rechargeable batteries (eg those AA types sold with chargers available in supermarkets)...

1) Can a different brand of Ni-MH charger be used to charge Ni-MH batteries from another manufacturer? For example, can I charge Sanyo Ni-MH batteries on a GP Ni-MH charger?

2) Can a same charger be used on different rated batteries? For example, can the charger that came with my 1600mAh batteries also be used to charge 2500mAh batteries?

3) Are newer "hi-speed" chargers (such as those that promise full charge of batteries in 15 minutes) be used on other "normal" Ni-MH other than the type supplied with the charger? How long will they take to charge?

I've heard many "rumours" about the do's and don'ts but would greatly appreciate it if anyone has any personal experience or knowledge to share. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Questions on Ni-MH Rechargeable Batteries

Please see my inputs on your queries:

1) Can a different brand of Ni-MH charger be used to charge Ni-MH batteries from another manufacturer? For example, can I charge Sanyo Ni-MH batteries on a GP Ni-MH charger?

Yes, no problem. The technology is quite similar. Been doing that for the last 7 years with no problems.

2) Can a same charger be used on different rated batteries? For example, can the charger that came with my 1600mAh batteries also be used to charge 2500mAh batteries?

Yes, no problem. Different charger have different capacity output rated behind eg 500mah/hr will take about 5 hrs to charge a 2,500 NIMH battery, 4 hrs for a 2,000 NIMH battery. It is quite easy to calculate the time required to charge a battery of different capacity.

3) Are newer "hi-speed" chargers (such as those that promise full charge of batteries in 15 minutes) be used on other "normal" Ni-MH other than the type supplied with the charger? How long will they take to charge?

Yes, same principle as above. High speed charges nowadays have rating of at least 1,000 mah/hr or more. But they make your batteries very hot and shorten the life span of your batteries. Better to get the average type and you will find your batteries last longer.

Hope the above helps!

Regards,
    Michael

Default Re: Questions on Ni-MH Rechargeable Batteries

Thanks very much! It was most helpful!!!