Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Need help

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Toh Tuck Road
    Posts
    160

    Default Need help

    I took a picture with my Coolpix5700 camera. The riginal JPG output of the camera is about 1.6MB
    I resized it to about 1/4 the size and it became about 115MB so that I can put it on my web page. When I click on the link to view the picture I realise that the clarity and detail is still the same as the original picture (except smaller size). Why is that so? I thought the smaller size file means less info about the picture and hence poorer quality and clarity.

    I would like the knowledgeable people in this forum to explain this.

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need help

    the size became 115MB!


    Originally posted by fred2
    I took a picture with my Coolpix5700 camera. The riginal JPG output of the camera is about 1.6MB
    I resized it to about 1/4 the size and it became about 115MB so that I can put it on my web page. When I click on the link to view the picture I realise that the clarity and detail is still the same as the original picture (except smaller size). Why is that so? I thought the smaller size file means less info about the picture and hence poorer quality and clarity.

    I would like the knowledgeable people in this forum to explain this.

    Thanks

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: Re: Need help

    Originally posted by tonski
    the size became 115MB!


    I think he meant 115KB, but I still don't quite understand his question.

    Regards
    CK

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Toh Tuck Road
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: Re: Need help

    Originally posted by tonski
    the size became 115MB!


    Oh so sorry for the typo error. The original file size was 1.5 MB. I used Microsoft Photo Editor to resize it and the output is 114 KB.

    Thanks for pointing out the error to me.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Toh Tuck Road
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: Re: Re: Need help

    Originally posted by ckiang


    I think he meant 115KB, but I still don't quite understand his question.

    Regards
    CK
    I thought the reason why people want to buy cameras with more megapixels is to have more details recorded about the picture. More details mean larger file sizes.
    Now this resizing process seem to produce vastly smaller file sizes. How come the picture detail does not seem to be affected. That being the case then why don't the camera manufacturer make the produce files with smaller sizes then?

    Hope this helps

    Thansk

  6. #6

    Default

    If the picture becomes smaller, there's less details to record and thus file size becomes smaller.

    If an image is 1000x1000 pixels, you resize it to 500x500, of coz the file size becomes only 1/4 of the original in UNCOMPRESSED form. If compressed, the size varies depending on the compression factor. The higher the compression, the more details you lose and more jpeg compression artifacts will appear.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Toh Tuck Road
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Thanks Darkness for the reply.

    Well I don't know if I am insensitive but to the best of my ability, the two photos look the same in clarity and detail. I don't know exactly what you mean by artifacts. How do you tell?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Need help

    Originally posted by fred2


    I thought the reason why people want to buy cameras with more megapixels is to have more details recorded about the picture. More details mean larger file sizes.
    Now this resizing process seem to produce vastly smaller file sizes. How come the picture detail does not seem to be affected. That being the case then why don't the camera manufacturer make the produce files with smaller sizes then?

    Hope this helps

    Thansk
    to explain your concern, take a full-size picture, and resize it to 1/4 of the original size. Then magnify (not resize) it up by 400%. Then compare this 400% pic and the original full-size pic (both of them should be the same size now). Which one has more details? I'm sure the full-size one has.

    You can also try printing A4 printouts, one using the full-size image and one with the 1/4 size one. You will also see that the full-size image printout will give you more details and sharpness.

    When you resize a pic to a smaller size, details seem to be well-furnished and image is sharp exactly because the image is small, your eyes cannot resolve more details than the image can contain. But effectively, a smaller pic contains less detail than the full-size one.

    Which comes to the point that darkness mentioned, a smaller pic with less details and less pixels will be smaller in filesize.

    hope this helps!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •