Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The rate of MRT breakdowns is getting ridiculous

Blog Entries

Default Re: The rate of MRT breakdowns is getting ridiculous

I have a feeling that somebody out and up there within the party does not like LTY; the only reason they continue to precariously appoint (sabo) him as the Transport Minister, despite the outages we are seeing time and again. I say it's time to bring on KBW or Vivian as replacement to see if these 2 "high calibre" chaps can do better and sweet talk their way out of this sticky mess.
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post
    It would be very funny when the NDP parade looks empty because most people are stuck in the trains

However, it would not be funny if photographers are still stuck in the trains when the fireworks started
    Worst case scenario is to shut down train services on National Day to avoid any further embarrassment. This is also the contingency plan for transport disruptions.
    Last edited by Zenten; 12th March 2015 at 10:54 PM.
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

The PM himself has explained.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sin...s-despite-rece

But I disagree with 2 of his points:

"Maintaining and building our public transport system is a tough, high pressure job. Every night after trains stop running, the maintenance and repair crews have only a few hours to maintain the tracks and trains, to get them ready for another day of service."

Nobody is debating whether it is a "tough, high pressure" job or not. Some countries run their subways even longer hours than ours. Are they not tough also? And we've had the MRT since 1987, earlier than some of us were even born. It's not a new system and I wonder why that "few hours" the maintenance crew have seemed to only impact in recent years when the trains broke down more frequently.

"Unfortunately we've had a series of incidents recently, but we are making steady progress."

How does the increasing string of MRT delays and breakdowns constitute "steady progress"? It's like telling a student who gets continually worse grades of C, D, and F for exams: "Don't worry, you are making steady progress!"

Think he meant steady progress towards total failure of the system. Or maybe steady progress towards katana meets guts.

Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post
    However, it would not be funny if photographers are still stuck in the trains when the fireworks started
    If that happens, I'm sure they would be glad to be there to capture the historical moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreq View Post
    The PM himself has explained. http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sin...s-despite-rece But I disagree with 2 of his points: "Maintaining and building our public transport system is a tough, high pressure job. Every night after trains stop running, the maintenance and repair crews have only a few hours to maintain the tracks and trains, to get them ready for another day of service." Nobody is debating whether it is a "tough, high pressure" job or not. Some countries run their subways even longer hours than ours. Are they not tough also? And we've had the MRT since 1987, earlier than some of us were even born. It's not a new system and I wonder why that "few hours" the maintenance crew have seemed to only impact in recent years when the trains broke down more frequently. "Unfortunately we've had a series of incidents recently, but we are making steady progress." How does the increasing string of MRT delays and breakdowns constitute "steady progress"? It's like telling a student who gets continually worse grades of C, D, and F for exams: "Don't worry, you are making steady progress!"
    And really, that's the reason why his words mean little to a lot of folks these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    And really, that's the reason why his words mean little to a lot of folks these days.
    Yup. I'm very disappointed that a lot of what he and his ministers are saying these days do not sound convincing at all. If they keep quiet, do their utmost best to sincerely rectify the errors and lack of foresight on their part, we will be more convinced.

But these days, notice that when they open their mouths to talk, it seems more like trying to find excuses to explain their faults. Why can't they just admit they have made mistakes, take drastic measures to improve the situation, and show us the results?

The MRT frequent breakdowns did not happen only this year. I believe it happened a few years earlier and back then, the promise was already to make sure it would be made good. But it wasn't so. Why?

Are they lacking in expertise? Is there insufficient manpower? Were the staff overworked? Did they require more time for maintenance? Are the trains overclocked?

There must be reasons to it which obviously, someone up there earning millions every year is not doing his proper job.

They cannot admit fault. Once they do that, must cut guts out one ok. Don'ch pray pray.

oh yeah... forgot about that harakiri!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345