Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The rate of MRT breakdowns is getting ridiculous

Default Re: The rate of MRT breakdowns is getting ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    The problem is Singapore people don't like to listen to Khaw Boon Wan.

They only like to complain to Khaw Boon Wan.
    As an aside, try typing "Henry Thia" in the Chrome bar and have a laugh of the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreq View Post
    We shouldn't complain about such things. Cos we must compare ourselves with the 3rd world countries and realize Singapore is very good already. For eg, if you look at India, people often climb onto the trains dangerously for lack of space. So our train breakdowns are nothing in comparison. Singaporeans just like to complain.

We also must blame ourselves. If we want more comfort, as someone recently said, buy a car! If cannot afford it, blame ourselves again. Why aren't we rich enough to afford a car? It means we are not financially capable. We must improve and upgrade ourselves to earn more money. Foreigners who come here work hard. They don't complain. Singaporeans only know how to make noise, as I frequently read.

Or better still, why not we all obediently listen to Khaw Boon Wan? He is a well-respected man in the government. He said we should try to cycle to work. Very fashionable. Many in big European cities cycle.

What do you think?
    So bad things compare with 3rd world countries and good things compare with developed countries?

I feel there must be a baseline of minimum standard. Cannot just compare with whatever suits your cause e.g. our fares are cheap compared to Japan or the UK

It is a fact that the reliability of SMRT has dropped tremendously over the years. They really need to up the standard if not, ship out. I don't need them to harakiri.
    Last edited by alamak; 5th March 2015 at 03:00 PM.

We shouldn't complain about such things. Cos we must compare ourselves with the 3rd world countries and realize Singapore is very good already. For eg, if you look at India, people often climb onto the trains dangerously for lack of space. So our train breakdowns are nothing in comparison. Singaporeans just like to complain.

We also must blame ourselves. If we want more comfort, as someone recently said, buy a car! If cannot afford it, blame ourselves again. Why aren't we rich enough to afford a car? It means we are not financially capable. We must improve and upgrade ourselves to earn more money. Foreigners who come here work hard. They don't complain. Singaporeans only know how to make noise, as I frequently read.

Or better still, why not we all obediently listen to Khaw Boon Wan? He is a well-respected man in the government. He said we should try to cycle to work. Very fashionable. Many in big European cities cycle.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post

As an aside, try typing "Henry Thia" in the Chrome bar and have a laugh of the result.
    +1 hahaha saw that one previously. Still good for laughs

Haha... ok if u all realize, I was merely repackaging into one post what some forummers here and others elsewhere who are pro-government have said previously.

Interesting about human psychology. When we rightly raise or complain serious issues in Singapore, pro-government people will say we are whiners. But when you bring together all these pro-government arguments together in one place, some of us begin to see how ridiculous they sound.

I won't go further lest it becomes a political post. But I leave it to you to form your own judgments.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchRival View Post
    How many years since Shopping Auntie quit? Even now you are paying her incompetence. At the end of the day how many man-hours wasted?
    And also, who was the incompetent twit who put her in charge?
    In places like the US, she would have been in front of a Senate investigation committee.
    Over here, someone wipes her mess.
    And we end up stepping on the leftovers quite a bit too often.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 6th March 2015 at 10:51 AM.

At least she harakiri. Hahaha I chuckle all the time when I remember henry thia talking about harakiri.

I'm only looking in from afar and are not aware of which line broke down - but the first trains started running in 1987. Nearly 30 years. Their design life was probably 30 years. Those original trains have run long and hard. At 15-20 years they should have gotten nearly totally rebuilt to ensure reliable running to the end of their life.

Also the first tracks will be 'suffering' from near 30 years hard use - the original control systems will now be obsolete and in need of replacement - and will become progressively more unreliable unless 'refreshed'.

But train rebuilds and control systems upgrades are expensive and very 'un sexy' from a management point of view, especially if your prime objective to to enhance shareholder value - the longer you can defer the big ticket replacement items, the better.

SMRT should have been putting money aside for years to pay for replacement equipment - have they been doing so ?. Or will ultimately the state and thus the taxpayer have to pick up the tab for replacing those 'life expired' assets ?

We shouldn't complain about such things. Cos we must compare ourselves with the 3rd world countries
    i am not sure you are sarcastic or what.

this rate of breakdowns wont happen in Japan. coz the top management will sure kanna fired one. here in sg, top management can still lak kopi.
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    i am not sure you are sarcastic or what. this rate of breakdowns wont happen in Japan. coz the top management will sure kanna fired one. here in sg, top management can still lak kopi.
    Here they blamed fault on the "track".
    So no one need to shoulder the responsibility meh.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I'm only looking in from afar and are not aware of which line broke down - but the first trains started running in 1987. Nearly 30 years. Their design life was probably 30 years. Those original trains have run long and hard. At 15-20 years they should have gotten nearly totally rebuilt to ensure reliable running to the end of their life.

Also the first tracks will be 'suffering' from near 30 years hard use - the original control systems will now be obsolete and in need of replacement - and will become progressively more unreliable unless 'refreshed'.

But train rebuilds and control systems upgrades are expensive and very 'un sexy' from a management point of view, especially if your prime objective to to enhance shareholder value - the longer you can defer the big ticket replacement items, the better.

SMRT should have been putting money aside for years to pay for replacement equipment - have they been doing so ?. Or will ultimately the state and thus the taxpayer have to pick up the tab for replacing those 'life expired' assets ?

When Saw PH was at the helm, IIRC it was reported that the money went to create more retail business and not maintenance.

So now Kwek BC parachuted into the post, he had no choice but to clear up the mess which is impossible to catch up with due to the compounding effect over the years.

I wonder how both of them ended up as the CEO when they have no prior experience in the industry.

Is this how meritocracy works in Singapore?

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post

But the newer lines also got break down - Circle Line and Northeast Line also got break down before.

I like this guy who feedback in 97.2 said. LTA imposed heavy fine on SMRT. Next SMRT cited high operation cost an ask fare review committee for fare increase. Request justifiable. Win-win for LTA and SMART. last part is by me. haha

Hmmm, get heavy fine for one year but enjoy higher fares forever (cod it will never come down). Not a bad deal.

With the trend of going for 'design and build' contracts especially government linked project, things are getting worse. Only advantage for Such projects is you leave everything to others and you don't get blame but just point your finger.

Whether pointing in or out, the people using it still suffer. What happen to the good old days?

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    With the trend of going for 'design and build' contracts especially government linked project, things are getting worse. Only advantage for Such projects is you leave everything to others and you don't get blame but just point your finger.

Whether pointing in or out, the people using it still suffer. What happen to the good old days?

Bukit Timah,

Can you elaborate more on the "design & build contract"?
    In terms of responsiblity, that's something new to me.

Thanks
    EisMann

Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    When Saw PH was at the helm, IIRC it was reported that the money went to create more retail business and not maintenance.
    .............wonder how both of them ended up as the CEO when they have no prior experience in the industry..how meritocracy works in Singapore?
    Tecnica,

If you have a chance to talk to SMRT past or present vendors, you will be surprise on how SMRT pays them.

One of the vendor told me for a successful completion of a job, some of them will be presented a cert of plaque signed off by SMRT for job well done! This was he was told after he submitted a final proposal on maintenance of their communication system.

That was during the Peacock's era. But this vendor did not bother to see or response to SMRT job ever since then.

EisMann

Blog Entries

What do you think?
    Disagree on the following:

Foreigners complain and when they do, it is big time .... they go on strike.
    Listen to KBW because he is well-respected? I respect him for one thing though ... his disclosure about his $5 heart bypass surgery. That man really knows where to find a bargain.
    Cycle to work in our type of weather and traffic condition? You must be joking.
    Last edited by Zenten; 8th March 2015 at 12:32 PM.
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    I like this guy who feedback in 97.2 said. LTA imposed heavy fine on SMRT. Next SMRT cited high operation cost an ask fare review committee for fare increase. Request justifiable. Win-win for LTA and SMART. last part is by me. haha
    Great point.
    Fine is one time only. It is the one-off capital laid down for investment.
    Fare hike is forever. It is the long-term dividends rolling in year after year.

What do you think?
    I been to india many times. . Took their train 2 3 times... its not like what we see on papers where people climb on the train. . Even on buses I dont see people on the top.. infact some states do not allow ppl on top of the buses..

Btw u know how cheap India transport is?
    Its fking cheap..

They hv mrt too.. India is not as bad as some media love to show us..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast