Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the B+W 35mm films that are readily available in S'pore?

Originally posted by Gunjack
    Thanks for your prompt reply! Maybe I might try those films one day... forgot to ask just one more question though... The printing on black and white paper is quite expensive isn't it? How much?
    Last I heard, $1 or so per 4R. That's for "REAL" B&W paper, not colour paper.

Regards
    CK

err ckiang, can elaborate? what's the diff? when I process my BW neg, it's printed with postcard style, the white borders kind, is this BW paper? what diff in quality is there compared to colour paper?

and can anyone reccomend an amateur BW slide film to start off with? and where's the cheapest place to dev? thanx!

I think the difference is the price, hehehe! Real B&W papers cannot be cheaper than $1 per 4R piece... and they are really black and white with no funny colour casts, and more contrast i think...

Wah... that means if I print 36, that will be $36 or more! Is there a way to view the prints before printing to access the quality of the negative? (eg print index print or burn into CD???) I am sure out of the 36, i just want some of the pics...

Hoppinghippo - the difference is that real B&W paper is, well, B&W. Printing B&W neg onto colour paper usually results in some colour cast(usually sepia-ish), but the better labs are still able to get a more neutral colour.

There really isn't any readily available, readily processable B&W slides around, better to shoot B&W film and print B&W. The easiest way of coz, is to shoot a chromogenic B&W film like Kodak T400CN or Ilford XP2 Super, which can be processed and printed at a normal lab. If you go to a good lab, they should be able to print it reasonably well and free from colour casts.

Gunjack - you can always ask for the negs to be processed and scanned into a CD, or you can ask for an index print, or contact sheet to see the 'thumbnails' before deciding which to print.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang

How about the chromogenic ones then?
    I haven't tried Chromogenetic B&W in E6, but that should be just like cross processing any other print film. Hey that's an idea. I think I will do that this weekend. Will keep you posted on the results.

Originally posted by ckiang

Gunjack - you can always ask for the negs to be processed and scanned into a CD, or you can ask for an index print, or contact sheet to see the 'thumbnails' before deciding which to print.

Regards
    CK
    Ic... So after choosing the image I want from the CD, lets say I print from the CD, can it be printed on colour prints like the chromogenic films, and will that be counter productive, coz it is better to develope the prints from the film? What is the difference between the chromogenic films and real B&W film when scanned into the CD? Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12