Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Thai Lessons

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,726

    Default Thai Lessons

    Hi people,

    Want to know where can take Thai lessons in SG, short of flying to Thailand.

    Thanks...

  2. #2

    Default Re: Thai Lessons

    Try your local community center,pasir ris here I saw have such courses.

  3. #3
    Senior Member kenele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Dover Cl East
    Posts
    1,999

    Default Re: Thai Lessons

    Your obj for learning is to speak the lang, read and write or both. A good language audio book is a good ideal to begin. However practice made perfect. I've studied the language for over one year in S'pore jus to find out that no one understand me when in Thailand

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land of the woods........
    Posts
    1,360

    Default Re: Thai Lessons

    When walking from cityhall mrt to Adelphi (opp funan), look to your rite across the road (Penin). There is a big banner there advertising foreign language courses.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,726

    Default Re: Thai Lessons

    Quote Originally Posted by kenele
    Your obj for learning is to speak the lang, read and write or both. A good language audio book is a good ideal to begin. However practice made perfect. I've studied the language for over one year in S'pore jus to find out that no one understand me when in Thailand
    I have a book with CD, Thai for Beginners, and while is good, is limited. I've learnt from there and while in Thailand recently, people could understand me. Would like to be able to read the script. That's why want to attend lessons.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,726

    Default Re: Thai Lessons

    Quote Originally Posted by Ah_Seng
    When walking from cityhall mrt to Adelphi (opp funan), look to your rite across the road (Penin). There is a big banner there advertising foreign language courses.
    Oh.. ok. Thanks. Will keep a lookout...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Thai Lessons

    Writing the script itself is VERY difficult, learning how to write/speak the characters is one thing, understanding it is another. Practice! In the mean while, I'll just stick to learning how to speak it. :P

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: Thai Lessons

    NUS has a evening course on Thai, I think it is abt 1+ year, after finish, u should be able to talk and read and write in Thai.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,726

    Default Re: Thai Lessons

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    NUS has a evening course on Thai, I think it is abt 1+ year, after finish, u should be able to talk and read and write in Thai.
    That's quite cool... Do u have any details?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: Thai Lessons

    http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/cls/lang_th2.htm

    Good luck to u. I know very basic Thai, and I want to improve and upgrade also. Everytime when I want to sign up the NUS course, I then think about it, whether I can commit myself and finish the whole course or not.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,726

    Default Re: Thai Lessons

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/cls/lang_th2.htm

    Good luck to u. I know very basic Thai, and I want to improve and upgrade also. Everytime when I want to sign up the NUS course, I then think about it, whether I can commit myself and finish the whole course or not.
    Sometime ago, I committed myself to go for a 2-year ITE course in Automotive Technology, and I finished it. I think I can do this. Wanna sign up together?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default Re: Thai Lessons

    i still remember the first Thai word I learnt was "pieng". if i'm not wrong it means "expensive".

  13. #13

    Default Re: Thai Lessons

    Mine was "khup kun karp"... Taught to me by a friend whom I got to know in Thailand...

    Extremely wonderful people...

    Pai Say to OT on your thread James...

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,726

    Default Re: Thai Lessons

    Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    i still remember the first Thai word I learnt was "pieng". if i'm not wrong it means "expensive".
    I think horng-naam more useful. Means toilet...

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: Thai Lessons

    Quote Originally Posted by jamestan
    I think horng-naam more useful. Means toilet...
    If u reverse it, naam-horng means perfume, haha, the Thai language teacher will tell u this as a joke.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,726

    Default Re: Thai Lessons

    Thanks to all. I'm taking private lessons. Anyone wants details can PM. me. Closing this thread as purpose fulfilled.

    Khorp khoon Maak Krap..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •