Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Darn! We bought F-15s for RSAF

Default Re: Darn! We bought F-15s for RSAF

Have you guys noticed the latest RSAF recruitment ad? The plane towards the end of the ad looks like a F15!

Quote Originally Posted by evq
    SG is looking for a Fighter to replace RSAF aging A-4, which are used mainly for ground-attack role.
    To get another multi-role fighter, eg F-16, Rafale, will not fully fullfill the missing gap RSAF will be having after the retirement of A-4.
    That's why F-15 is chosen. It is more of a Fighter-bomber than a fighter for close-range.
    Read from some forum, SG will get stand-off weapons as a package, which is satellite guided bomb(up to 70km range). This is further than most SAM's reach. The F-15 can fly outside SAM's range & drop these bombs without endangering our pilots.
    And with the larger weapon load compare with F-16 & Rafale, it delivers more damage per sortie.
    In short;
    F-15s go for ground targets, while F-16s fly over them, covering them. A perfect combination.

Just my view.
    HUH? Thought F-15 is an interceptor, what you describe it's more like F-16's role.

The RSAF sure has been on a spending spree of late. Apart from the F-15 acquisition, there's also a very little publicised program to acquire a Gulfstream G-550 based AEW SIGINT platform.

There's also a recent interest in the RQ-4 Global Hawk, wonder how that one will pan out?

Quote Originally Posted by oeyvind
    HUH? Thought F-15 is an interceptor, what you describe it's more like F-16's role.
    The F-15 variant being acquired will have multi role capability.

Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    The F-15 variant being acquired will have multi role capability.
    OK, anyway something like MiG-35 with thrust vectoring control will be better... ^^
    Last edited by oeyvind; 7th September 2005 at 10:24 PM.

Huh?? Did i sound like that? No.. u got me wrong.
    What I meant is, RSAF chose F-15 for it's larger bomb load & longer range, excellent for ground-attack role & long range intercepting. It is a far better strike fighter than the much smaller F-16. Whereas F-16s are our air superiority platform. Rafale is more like F-16. Thus, to replace A-4(which was used as a ground-attack fighter), F-15 is the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion
    Will we be getting the "C" or "E" (Strike Eagle) version? Or both?
    F15T I think they should get the Eurofighter Typhoon. What a waste. I guess they must have a GOOD DEAL FROM UNCLE SAM

Quote Originally Posted by maddog
    The F-15 is unbeaten in dogfight after 30 years of aerial combat!
    The main thing is 30 years lah

Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn
    Correct me if I am wrong, US will never sell Tomcats to anyone. It's one of thier best craft...

I saw a few flying around SG b4, what a sight.
    You are wrong their axis of evil country Iran have them

as what I've expected. Singapore choose a US product, but no disrespect to the F-15. It is a awesome plane.

Quote Originally Posted by singscott
    F15T I think they should get the Eurofighter Typhoon. What a waste. I guess they must have a GOOD DEAL FROM UNCLE SAM
    I've read an article in Jane's Defense and also another defense publication that the Typhoon is a dud. It was a programed created to give reason for European governments to continue funding the European aerospace program.
    The analysis stated that the aircraft would not do anything more than what the Mirage 2000 or the Tornado or the Saab could already do. Basically only some advancement in avionics systems. way way overbudget and destined to be a white elephant.

The Rafale is highly regarded, but alas, not combat proven. No chance to.
    paylaod and operating range wise, lesser than F-15.
    Amongst pilots, it is pretty clear F-15 wins the competitors hands down, except perhaps Russian fighters which hitherto many countries shy away in order to show alliance w Uncle Sam. Nonetheless, an Mig27 or Su37 with avionics upgrade would definitely give the eagles a run for the money. Key point is avionics are very crucial to an aircraft's combat survival. Of course it needs a good hardware platform to host it.

New construction technologies make the Rafale also a formidable plane. just no chance to participate in combat.
    (some say if you build so good a plane, it will defeat the enemies once it takes off. no chance to dogfight)

Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    The RSAF sure has been on a spending spree of late. Apart from the F-15 acquisition, there's also a very little publicised program to acquire a Gulfstream G-550 based AEW SIGINT platform.

There's also a recent interest in the RQ-4 Global Hawk, wonder how that one will pan out?
    Our RSAF is becoming more of a L/R expeditionary force.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by nikkie
    Nonetheless, an Mig27 or Su37 with avionics upgrade would definitely give the eagles a run for the money. Key point is avionics are very crucial to an aircraft's combat survival. Of course it needs a good hardware platform to host it.
    I find it hard to believe a Mig-27 Flogger would give the Eagle a run for its money. Its really an old plan/.

Did you mean the SU-27 instead?

Anyway, the key thing about this F-15T deal is the weaponry included. JDAM, JSOW, AMRAAM and AIM-9X are very advanced weaponry. JDAM and JSOW allows the aircraft to fly high, beyond reach of SAM or AA, to release its payload. JDAM and JSOW glides to the target using GPS guidance.

AIM-9X is in response to Russia's AA-11 Archer, which has off boresight capabilities. Its able to turn sharply using helmet mounted sights. AIM-9X has that off boresight capability. You don't have to be on your enemy's six to fire these weapons.

These are all combat proven and available now....

(some say if you build so good a plane, it will defeat the enemies once it takes off. no chance to dogfight)

Next time, dun even need to take off can shoot down another plane liao. Can fire air-to-air missile from the ground..

OK, anyway something like MiG-35 with thrust vectoring control will be better... ^^
    You mean the SU-35....
    YEah, that thrust vectoring is really amazing....

Heres a clip.... 2nd half shows how tight a curve this aircraft is capable of making....
    http://bemil.chosun.com/movie%20link/SU-35.wmv

Its quite unreal that the SU-35 is capable of that... now... if only we need a air superioty long range fighter / interceptor...

I've read an article in Jane's Defense and also another defense publication that the Typhoon is a dud. It was a programed created to give reason for European governments to continue funding the European aerospace program.
    The analysis stated that the aircraft would not do anything more than what the Mirage 2000 or the Tornado or the Saab could already do. Basically only some advancement in avionics systems. way way overbudget and destined to be a white elephant.
    Wow a white elephant that Spain, Gremany, Italy and Great Britain are replacing big bulk of thier air force fighters with May be why they need the euro fighter because they don't have the Mirage and Saab? Oh they must be talking big when they say it is the only fighter that can take on the F22 Raptor. Well I like it and feel with the technology transfer they promised that come along with euro fighter typhoon should help RSAF. But hey who are me to say so? RSAF should know what they are getting into. So like any kopi thiam talk just say for shoik.

I believe most of our fighters are geared towards a multi-role, all-round job these days as the F5Es as their role of a air superiority interceptor are being slowly phrased out.

F16 Falcon's role are geared towards interception and dogfights although they can be used for bombing missions as well..

F15 Eagle's role are geared towards fast ground strikes. Maybe can use for dogfights, but den I recall being shot down so many times in combat flight sims whenever I use F15s for dogfights. The frame's just too heavy for solid dogfights.

On the contrary, I've been absolutely victorious on the F16 Falcon on Combat Flight Sims. F14 with Phoneix Missiles dun say liaoz. Its instant death for those MiGs when I "fox-one, fox-two."
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

... it is pretty clear F-15 wins the competitors hands down, except perhaps Russian fighters which hitherto many countries shy away in order to show alliance w Uncle Sam. Nonetheless, an Mig27 or Su37 with avionics upgrade would definitely give the eagles a run for the money. Key point is avionics are very crucial to an aircraft's combat survival. Of course it needs a good hardware platform to host it.
    Frm my knowledge, Russian made fighter planes break down frequently, and have horrible turnaround times for spare parts which is the last thing RSAF would need. Costly repairs and upgrades.

Anyway, notice how Hollywood typically shows the good guys flying American fighter planes and the bad guys are always in MiGs or SUs? And whenever some ace pilot in his F14 or F15 encounters a SU35 or MiG27 he will go, "OH SH*T! ITS A FULCRUM! GOGOGOGOGO..... *beep-beep-beep* pull up! pull up!!!"

Somehow the 'last boss' is always a SU35 or a MiG27. Makes u wonder why...
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    I believe most of our fighters are geared towards a multi-role, all-round job these days as the F5Es as their role of a air superiority interceptor are being slowly phrased out.

F16 Falcon's role are geared towards interception and dogfights although they can be used for bombing missions as well..

F15 Eagle's role are geared towards fast ground strikes. Maybe can use for dogfights, but den I recall being shot down so many times in combat flight sims whenever I use F15s for dogfights. The frame's just too heavy for solid dogfights.

On the contrary, I've been absolutely victorious on the F16 Falcon on Combat Flight Sims. F14 with Phoneix Missiles dun say liaoz. Its instant death for those MiGs when I "fox-one, fox-two."
    Flight sims are hardly accurate. They're probably based on F-16A and F-15A flight characteristics.

F-16D wild weasel and F-15E strike eagles are all heavier because of conformal fuel tanks and added avionics. Thus, their dogfight capabilities are severly hampered.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    And whenever some ace pilot in his F14 or F15 encounters a SU35 or MiG27 he will go, "OH SH*T! ITS A FULCRUM! GOGOGOGOGO..... *beep-beep-beep* pull up! pull up!!!"
    If he really said that, then the pilot deserved to die for failing his ID test.

Fulcrums are mig 29s. Mig 27s floggers are easy prey.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast