Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: Darn! We bought F-15s for RSAF

Default Re: Darn! We bought F-15s for RSAF

Why F-15?
    Why not X-15?

Huh? Has the decision already been made? Where did you hear this?

Arrruuuggg

Dunno why they dun want the Eurofighter. Maybe was attracted by the offer of smart bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by jumbocrab
    Huh? Has the decision already been made? Where did you hear this?
    yea.. heard it over 93.3 this morning news..

but i favour Rafale and Eurofighter more than F-15...
    Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

I would give one vote to the Russian fighter jet, Su 27.

The F-15 is unbeaten in dogfight after 30 years of aerial combat!

SG is looking for a Fighter to replace RSAF aging A-4, which are used mainly for ground-attack role.
    To get another multi-role fighter, eg F-16, Rafale, will not fully fullfill the missing gap RSAF will be having after the retirement of A-4.
    That's why F-15 is chosen. It is more of a Fighter-bomber than a fighter for close-range.
    Read from some forum, SG will get stand-off weapons as a package, which is satellite guided bomb(up to 70km range). This is further than most SAM's reach. The F-15 can fly outside SAM's range & drop these bombs without endangering our pilots.
    And with the larger weapon load compare with F-16 & Rafale, it delivers more damage per sortie.
    In short;
    F-15s go for ground targets, while F-16s fly over them, covering them. A perfect combination.

Just my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion
    Will we be getting the "C" or "E" (Strike Eagle) version? Or both?
    T version.The most powerful version so far.With the AESA radar which the K version lacked.

And with the F-15s, we will have a dedicated deep strike bomber wing.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Why can't we just get the A-10 Warthog? This should be one hell of payload the plane can carry. Although I doubt it can doggy fight, but it sure can kick ass bomb. Heard that this craft can be still operational even if it loses the tail....
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn
    Why can't we just get the A-10 Warthog? This should be one hell of payload the plane can carry. Although I doubt it can doggy fight, but it sure can kick ass bomb. Heard that this craft can be still operational even if it loses the tail....
    That's after losing 1/2 a tail. Once you loose the whole tail, it goes out of control. A-10 is only good after gaining air superioty.

Its payload is more for tank hunting and troop support.

Quote Originally Posted by evq
    SG is looking for a Fighter to replace RSAF aging A-4, which are used mainly for ground-attack role.
    To get another multi-role fighter, eg F-16, Rafale, will not fully fullfill the missing gap RSAF will be having after the retirement of A-4.
    That's why F-15 is chosen. It is more of a Fighter-bomber than a fighter for close-range.
    Read from some forum, SG will get stand-off weapons as a package, which is satellite guided bomb(up to 70km range). This is further than most SAM's reach. The F-15 can fly outside SAM's range & drop these bombs without endangering our pilots.
    And with the larger weapon load compare with F-16 & Rafale, it delivers more damage per sortie.
    In short;
    F-15s go for ground targets, while F-16s fly over them, covering them. A perfect combination.

Just my view.
    Ah... its packaged with the JDAM and JSOW then... which is good. Launch from far and gets guided via GPS. But those are rather expensive. Basically a satallite guidance system hooked to old Mk82 free fall bombs.

Yes, the Strike Eagle does have an impressive payload... guess we'll be using it as a bomb truck....

Why don't we just get a Deathstar and a few Imperial Star Destroyers to go along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn
    A-10 is mainly a Tank-killer. A seating duck against anything else. This role already covered by Apache.
    Look at RSAF's list of aircrafts;
    F-16 = Multi-role. Good close-range, probably replacing F-5 in long run. Too small to carry enough bombs for gound targets per sortie.
    A-4 = General fighter, RSAF uses it mainly for ground-attack, since F-16 arrival.
    KC-135 = Tanker & transport, mainly for F-16, which uses diff refilling probe, not compatitable with C-130
    C-130 = Transport cum tanker
    Apache = attack heli, tank-killer
    CH-47 Chinock = Heavy lift heli
    Super puma = mid lift heli

Almost a all-rounder. Now what RSAF lacks is a bomber, but to purchase a bomber will be seen as an aggressive geature by the surrounding neighbours. Hence, a fighter-bomber is a better choice.
    Though I prefer the newer Rafale, but it does not fits in the RSAF. No point buying another pairs of newer, better chopsticks, while u already have one. Should get a spoon

Are they getting ready for war?

Quote Originally Posted by evq
    F-16 = Multi-role. Good close-range, probably replacing F-5 in long run. Too small to carry enough bombs for gound targets per sortie.
    Actually, RSAF bought newer F-16Ds lately with the avionics dorsal spine, helmet mounted sights and conformal fuel tanks. These are even newer then the ones used in the USAF. This increased its range and also its capabilities. I believe they are used in the Wild Weasel role of SAM hunting. I guess the increased range would also go in line with the F-15's range. You might say that the F-15 was already chosen even before the announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum
    Read it somewhere (long time ago) that a F-15 can fly to an altitude & lunge a missile to destroy satelite. Don't know true or false?
    I doubt they can "lunge" a missile into space... but 20 years ago, as part of the SDI (aka "Star Wars") by the late President Ronald Reagan, the F-15 did a vertical and launched a missile that did destroy a satellite in low orbit.

always liked the f15 after seeing the poster with it with the slogan "the sound of freedom". two engines better than one i say. i hope it comes with a decent payload, with the latest ASRAAM etc

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    Ah... its packaged with the JDAM and JSOW then... which is good. Launch from far and gets guided via GPS. But those are rather expensive. Basically a satallite guidance system hooked to old Mk82 free fall bombs.

Yes, the Strike Eagle does have an impressive payload... guess we'll be using it as a bomb truck....
    The weapons include 200 AIM 120C Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missiles (AMRAAM); 50 Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAMs) with 500-pound warheads; 30 AGM 154A-1 Joint Standoff Weapons with 500-pound warheads; 30 AGM 154C Joint Standoff Weapons; and 200 AIM 9X Sidewinder missiles.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Why F-15?
    Why not X-15?
    Why F-15? proven technology, unbeaten in aerial combat, of course man and machine must compliment each other, no use having hi-tech aircraft and none capable pilots to man them.

X-15? experimental aircraft lah.

The way I see it, it does not need to be the "best" aircraft, but only a "good enough" aircraft for our needs, considering the potential threats we face in the region. These shiny new toys cost a whole lot of moolah, and if the RSAF can build an effective capability around these without breaking the bank, so much the better. After all, its YOUR tax money that's going into this. I heard an RSAF pilot once say, every time he took to the air, he was using up 1 average Singaporean's tax money for that year, that's how costly it is to operate and fly these toys.

I suspect inter-operability with the F-16 is a major factor. Each time you take on a whole new aircraft type, you need to build a whole new logistics and maintenance supply for it. I think the F-15 and F-16 even share the engine, IIRC. IMO, I think it is the right choice.
    Last edited by dkw; 7th September 2005 at 10:00 AM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast