Thread: Mountain biking in Nepal

Default Mountain biking in Nepal

Hello friends!

I'm heading to Nepal for a mountain biking adventure trip and I'm currently thinking about what gear to bring. I'll be staying in Kathmandu, Pokhara and Jomsom. Day trips will bring us close to nature and mountain ranges(I hope).

Currently my setup is a 6D with a 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS. These will be be packed with a softshell windproof jacket, some bike spares, spare batteries, energy bars, 2 litre hydration reservoir and a water bottle containing hydration drinks, housed in a mindshift rotation panorama bag.

As you can see it is a damn heavy load to carry.

And so, I was looking to go for primes to bring to lighten my load. I was looking at a 24L or a 35L, coupled with a 135L.

Those who have been to Nepal, what's your take?
    Canon EOS 6D|EF 24-70L|EF 16-35 f2.8L II|EF 70-200 f4L IS|580EXII|

Default Re: Mountain biking in Nepal

I have never been to Nepal but I feel that the 16-35L II and 135L will work very well.

The terrain is unforgiving. Do take care. There will be many occasions where the bike may have to "ride" on your shoulder instead of the other way round....

Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    I have never been to Nepal but I feel that the 16-35L II and 135L will work very well.
    I've thought about bringing the 16-35 but I've read in forums that UWAs generally make the scenic photos really distant and insignificant, therefore i chose the 24-70.... but then it's a brick to carry but no doubt give excellent IQ...

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    The terrain is unforgiving. Do take care. There will be many occasions where the bike may have to "ride" on your shoulder instead of the other way round....
    Yup, sure will experience this. hopefully not too much of it though. Main worry for now is the altitude sickness that we may experience....

Quote Originally Posted by startrails View Post
    I've thought about bringing the 16-35 but I've read in forums that UWAs generally make the scenic photos really distant and insignificant, therefore i chose the 24-70.... but then it's a brick to carry but no doubt give excellent IQ...
    Okay, I will just share my take on this.

I usually travel with my 16-35mm setup + 45/f1.8 on the E-M5(90mm full frame equivalent).

I came through the 10-22mm, 16-35L II and am currently using the FE 16-35.

To me, the 16-35mm focal length is more usable than 24-70mm, as I feel that the latter is neither wide nor tele enough.

I used to own the stellar 17-55 IS too but find myself constantly switching out for the 10-22.

Yes, at ultra-wide angle, the scene will be decompressed which render things to be small and insignificant, that is why careful composition is needed when shooting at such wide angle.

If you do not need the 36-70mm focal length, then IMO the 16-35L II will be the better choice, add the 135L and it will provide you with a different perspective of the nature landscapes.

If you only want to take 1 lens with you, then you will have to meet somewhere in the middle and bring the 24-70L.

Forget the 70-200L f4 IS, as it will be a pain to pack so many things in the rotation 180 panorama which coincidentally I own one too.

If you are interested, you can visit my Facebook page and Flickr to have a look.
    Last edited by tecnica; 1st March 2015 at 01:29 AM.

Blog Entries

For nepal 2470 makes more sense than an ultra wide

Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    Okay, I will just share my take on this.

I usually travel with my 16-35mm setup + 45/f1.8 on the E-M5(90mm full frame equivalent).

I came through the 10-22mm, 16-35L II and am currently using the FE 16-35.

To me, the 16-35mm focal length is more usable than 24-70mm, as I feel that the latter is neither wide nor tele enough.

I used to own the stellar 17-55 IS too but find myself constantly switching out for the 10-22.

Yes, at ultra-wide angle, the scene will be decompressed which render things to be small and insignificant, that is why careful composition is needed when shooting at such wide angle.

If you do not need the 36-70mm focal length, then IMO the 16-35L II will be the better choice, add the 135L and it will provide you with a different perspective of the nature landscapes.

If you only want to take 1 lens with you, then you will have to meet somewhere in the middle and bring the 24-70L.

Forget the 70-200L f4 IS, as it will be a pain to pack so many things in the rotation 180 panorama which coincidentally I own one too.

If you are interested, you can visit my Facebook page and Flickr to have a look.
    That's some really beautiful photos in your photostream bro. Inspired!

When I head overseas and carry one lens only I do reach for my uwa. But that being said I will lose out on the mid tele range though. I agree with landscapes do look impressive with uwa perspectives though. Just not sure if the focal length is versatile enough.

But for these adventure trips, factoring weight, lens performance and versatility, would you bring a zoom or prime?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    For nepal 2470 makes more sense than an ultra wide
    Agree with that bro. Only thing drawing me away is the weight!

That's some really beautiful photos in your photostream bro. Inspired!

When I head overseas and carry one lens only I do reach for my uwa. But that being said I will lose out on the mid tele range though. I agree with landscapes do look impressive with uwa perspectives though. Just not sure if the focal length is versatile enough.

But for these adventure trips, factoring weight, lens performance and versatility, would you bring a zoom or prime?
    Thank you for visiting.

The last proper photo trip I had, was to Mount Bromo in Indonesia.

For such adventure trip, weight is an issue but being a Singaporean, I was kiasu and did bring a bunch of lenses(12-50, 20/f1.7 for my E-M5) on top of my 16-35(on the A7R) + 45/f1.8(on the E-M5) combo, just so I got the mid range covered.

But really, all I needed was my staple combo and it had proven to work well for all my travel trips.

I will always bring a zoom lens which can cover my preferred, primary focal length, hence the 16-35.

Initially I brought along the 45/f1.8 for people shots but I found it to be increasingly useful for my landscape photos as well.

I guess it boils down to what you are comfortable with, i.e which focal length can get you up and working.

If you can answer the above question, then it will be clearer for you as to which lens(16-35 vs 24-70) to bring.

Also, do bear in mind that the mindshift panorama cannot carry too many photo gears if you need to pack in miscellaneous items too.

Didn't do biking in Nepal but did some trekking. That time I had my 500D with only 10-22 hanging off me all the way. The rest of my lens 8-15, 17-55 and 70-300 carried by my guide. Did miss a bit of the longer range but quite happy with 10-22 as I am a wide shooter, totally retarded at telephoto ranges.

There isn't really that much time to stop along the way and compose nicely as there's a schedule to reach the next village and settle in before sundown. I was doing handheld bracketing like crazy for every shot (the DR there is wide with the forested trails and sunny clouds).

Within Kathmandu (street photography paradise) and Pokhara, not much constraint tho. Kathmandu streets are narrower and rather crowded. One thing good about Nepal is virtually all rooftops (buildings are not high there) are accessible so you might wanna check it out along the way.

Was in Nepal, most of my landscape shots were done with a 85mm. Went with 24/50/85 and 1 body.

Blog Entries

Agree with that bro. Only thing drawing me away is the weight!
    Or you can bring a 24-105

Thank you to all for your suggestions and advice!

I should be carrying just one lens so I won't be bogged down by the weight. Will be bringing the 24-70f2.8L and a 580EXII for fill, if needed.. and hopefully I can catch some sort of the milky way there. closer to heaven so why not try right? hahaaa

Itinerary sent to me was the annapurna range II. not sure what is that but I guess I will have to google first.

Any issues with your cams/batteries/memory cards at 4100m above sea level?