Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: To all car owners - Never get involved in an accident with a taxi

  1. #1

    Default To all car owners - Never get involved in an accident with a taxi

    A true story of a car "victim'.

    http://therealsingapore.com/content/...-other-victims

    If you are the rear vehicle, and the taxi in the front vehicle, then you will be asking for trouble.

    Besides the above link, some of my friends and relatives who were involved in a car accident with a taxi were shocked to find out the claim amount against them. It is not just a simple claim on the repair of the taxi vehicle's damages. There are many items which you will be shocked when you received the claim report from your insurance companies. Remember to check with your insurance company on the exact claim amount and what are the items claimed. Many of you think that your insurance companies will take care of all claims and thus didn't bother to find out what exactly are claimed by the claimant.

    In eyes of the law, there is nothing much that the driver of the rear vehicle to contest the claim amount unless you have strong evidence to present the case on the front vehicle which is at fault.

  2. #2
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: To all car owners - Never get involved in an accident with a taxi

    Isn't it better not get involved into any accident at all? Not just with taxis... This tactics is well known and not only limited to taxis.
    On the other hand: there are indeed injuries (strains and others) that will only show up later, after a period of 24h or more. In the minutes after the accident the patient will not notice anything.
    The solution could be to record as much data as possible, especially those data describing the impact (speed, angle) and extend of damage. From this, useful conclusions can be drawn about what the impact on the human body was and whether the claims have any substance or not.
    EOS

  3. #3
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: To all car owners - Never get involved in an accident with a taxi

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post

    In eyes of the law, there is nothing much that the driver of the rear vehicle to contest the claim amount unless you have strong evidence to present the case on the front vehicle which is at fault.
    The importance of getting a drive video recorder.

  4. #4
    Member HYPY13's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Geographical centre of S'pore
    Posts
    442

    Default Re: To all car owners - Never get involved in an accident with a taxi

    Isn't there something fishy?
    the doctor's report to the lawyer was dated 19/11/14(before the accident took place), whereas the doctor stated that he examined the patient on 11/12/14, 2 days after the accident.
    Sola Scriptura, Sola Gratia, Sola Fide, Solus Christus, Soli Deo Gloria.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: To all car owners - Never get involved in an accident with a taxi

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    A true story of a car "victim'.

    http://therealsingapore.com/content/...-other-victims

    If you are the rear vehicle, and the taxi in the front vehicle, then you will be asking for trouble.

    Besides the above link, some of my friends and relatives who were involved in a car accident with a taxi were shocked to find out the claim amount against them. It is not just a simple claim on the repair of the taxi vehicle's damages. There are many items which you will be shocked when you received the claim report from your insurance companies. Remember to check with your insurance company on the exact claim amount and what are the items claimed. Many of you think that your insurance companies will take care of all claims and thus didn't bother to find out what exactly are claimed by the claimant.

    In eyes of the law, there is nothing much that the driver of the rear vehicle to contest the claim amount unless you have strong evidence to present the case on the front vehicle which is at fault.
    An in-car forward camera can be had for less than $100. Why some people chose not to have them is beyond me.

  6. #6
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: To all car owners - Never get involved in an accident with a taxi

    I experienced it in the full... a small accident, hitting the passenger side of the cab. no injuries whatsoever. repairs estimated should be in the region of 1k. Ended up claim against me was 47k. finally insurance company settled for 18k. The lawyer the cab driver used is HOH. Friends, adjusters have been telling me HOH is one of the few lawyers cab drivers will go to to pull this BS.

    Almost could not renew my insurance because of the open 47k claim against me. But luckily found a way to get insurance cheaper and better. It is also a big game the major insurers are playing, due to lack of insurance regulation.

  7. #7

    Default Re: To all car owners - Never get involved in an accident with a taxi

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I experienced it in the full... a small accident, hitting the passenger side of the cab. no injuries whatsoever. repairs estimated should be in the region of 1k. Ended up claim against me was 47k. finally insurance company settled for 18k. The lawyer the cab driver used is HOH. Friends, adjusters have been telling me HOH is one of the few lawyers cab drivers will go to to pull this BS.

    Almost could not renew my insurance because of the open 47k claim against me. But luckily found a way to get insurance cheaper and better. It is also a big game the major insurers are playing, due to lack of insurance regulation.
    47k/18k? That's like.. You can purchase another car in US or perhaps other countries albeit not a new one.

  8. #8
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: To all car owners - Never get involved in an accident with a taxi

    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSeth View Post
    47k/18k? That's like.. You can purchase another car in US or perhaps other countries albeit not a new one.
    Ya. My current SUV I bought for 50k brand new. Taxes and first year comprehensive insurance all included.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 26th February 2015 at 11:03 AM.

  9. #9
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: To all car owners - Never get involved in an accident with a taxi

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    It is also a big game the major insurers are playing, due to lack of insurance regulation.
    Yeah, a big game of cheating each other over made up numbers.
    I remember seeing something from my home country where the claimable amounts for certain injuries are fixed. One would need a lot of serious paperwork to make claims beyond that, e.g. neck strains when the speed was slower than 20km/h. The result: cheating with insurance claims has fallen since and nobody is really scared if an accident happens. It gives assurance.
    EOS

  10. #10
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: To all car owners - Never get involved in an accident with a taxi

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Yeah, a big game of cheating each other over made up numbers.
    I remember seeing something from my home country where the claimable amounts for certain injuries are fixed. One would need a lot of serious paperwork to make claims beyond that, e.g. neck strains when the speed was slower than 20km/h. The result: cheating with insurance claims has fallen since and nobody is really scared if an accident happens. It gives assurance.
    SG car insurance scene has already attained USA pre-reuglation era... quite a shame. Especially the ambulance chasers. Threat of legal action is very powerful in SG now, just like USA. Don't need to win. Just threaten to sue and bury the other party in legal costs.

  11. #11

    Default Re: To all car owners - Never get involved in an accident with a taxi

    the real singapore is not so real after all, it is for entertainment purpose only, dont take it seriously of the news they reported.
    Objection !!!

  12. #12

    Default Re: To all car owners - Never get involved in an accident with a taxi

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    the real singapore is not so real after all, it is for entertainment purpose only, dont take it seriously of the news they reported.
    It doesn't matter whether the article is from Real Singapore or other sources.

    I already have live examples. Even our Moderator daredevil123 had experienced before.

    By the way, do you drive?

  13. #13

    Default Re: To all car owners - Never get involved in an accident with a taxi

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    It doesn't matter whether the article is from Real Singapore or other sources.

    I already have live examples. Even our Moderator daredevil123 had experienced before.

    By the way, do you drive?
    road bike
    Objection !!!

  14. #14

    Default

    Wow so scary I better install a camera in my car
    Do you guys think a back camera is necessary ?
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

  15. #15
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: To all car owners - Never get involved in an accident with a taxi

    Depending your heng shuey...I kena once 2 years back...hit the right real lamp of a Toyota Wish Smrt cab...but the uncle quite nice....never claim more than what he needs...we settle privately at workshop with proper paper work provided by the work shop....they replacing the lamp and minor touch up on paint work...of course I have to bear his lost of income.....my car minor dend and dislocated bumper which I fixed my self afterwards....total bill $400...so it's 破财挡灾.....considered lucky everything end there and then

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    698

    Default

    Omg this is exactly like my story... 100% align.. For a moment I thought the pic was mine..

    But in Sg.. The rich wins.. Manipulative

  17. #17

    Default Re: To all car owners - Never get involved in an accident with a taxi

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsjustMe View Post
    Omg this is exactly like my story... 100% align.. For a moment I thought the pic was mine..

    But in Sg.. The rich wins.. Manipulative
    Har? Taxi drivers in SG rich?

  18. #18
    Member Bukitimah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,261

    Default Re: To all car owners - Never get involved in an accident with a taxi

    I was hit by a cab from behind and he was hit by another cab when we both stop at a Traffic light. Very clearly the 1st cab was at fault and according to to cab driver behind me, he saw him texting when the accident happen.

    Looking at the situation, I decided it is an insurance claim situation. No. Eed for further discussion to avoid any unnecessary confrontation. I took many photos. That is one good thing of learning g photography.

    After we. Exchange particulars, we went our separate ways. The cab driver er that hit me, call the next day. He offered settlement as he was advised that since he hit from behind, he is at fault although it was due to the impact of the other cab. I rejected and advised him to lodge a report and I will be his witness if required. I don't wish to mess around with these people. I got my claim but did not hear further from both.

    I think going factaul is best option Unless it is minor and you.can settle there and then. But you never know if the other party will play you from behind.

  19. #19

    Default Re: To all car owners - Never get involved in an accident with a taxi

    Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    I was hit by a cab from behind and he was hit by another cab when we both stop at a Traffic light. Very clearly the 1st cab was at fault and according to to cab driver behind me, he saw him texting when the accident happen.

    Looking at the situation, I decided it is an insurance claim situation. No. Eed for further discussion to avoid any unnecessary confrontation. I took many photos. That is one good thing of learning g photography.

    After we. Exchange particulars, we went our separate ways. The cab driver er that hit me, call the next day. He offered settlement as he was advised that since he hit from behind, he is at fault although it was due to the impact of the other cab. I rejected and advised him to lodge a report and I will be his witness if required. I don't wish to mess around with these people. I got my claim but did not hear further from both.

    I think going factaul is best option Unless it is minor and you.can settle there and then. But you never know if the other party will play you from behind.
    You are lucky because you were the first vehicle. The 2 cabs were second and last cars respectively. There was no way for any of them to claim against you. In Singapore, most of the time the first vehicle is not liable for any claim unless special situations.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: To all car owners - Never get involved in an accident with a taxi

    Quote Originally Posted by sgciti55 View Post
    Har? Taxi drivers in SG rich?
    Being rich is not the exclusive rights of taxi drivers.

    Every Singaporean can be considered rich by any standard in Asia.

    Last edited by Sion; 2nd March 2015 at 09:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •