Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Thread: Dry Box

  1. #21

    Default Re: Dry Box

    That's very useful. Thanks for sharing.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Dry Box

    thanks alot Michael68.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York*New Jersey*Boston
    Posts
    1,072

    Default Re: Dry Box

    one point to note: dont set it too dry as there ARE some types of fungus that grow in extremely dry conditions.
    yeah its true. i read that up before..

  4. #24

    Default Re: Dry Box

    hi haagen dazs,

    Thanks for the advise...am setting it at about 50 now

    regards,
    tltan

  5. #25

    Default Re: Dry Box

    Too dry is worse.

    Don't worry too much if the humidity rise past 60%. When I was living the California, the average humidity was around 60% to 75%, never used a dry cabinet there, not even when I was in the midwest, when the humidity in the summer can reash 85-90%. As long as your equipment get used, you should be fine.

    If you find and kind of fungus growth, treat it immediately before it spreads. What I did back then was put the lens under the sun, with both caps remove, the front of the lens face down on a piece of aluminum foil (shiny side up) and let sun light do its job.

    The key thing is use your equipment!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  6. #26

    Default Re: Dry Box

    Best way is still to bring your equipment out for regular walks (just like your doggie) for improved health . Frequent usage will help prevent fungus.

    But when stowed away for a prolonged period, of course a dry cabinet would be required. I had a similar experince with my DigiCabi too -- the fluctuation bit. They do take awhile to stabilize, so you would need to monitor over a few days. Mine fluctuates between 45% and 55%, spending most time at 50% range though.

    Let me check the dial settings again & report back later (forgot liow).

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: Dry Box

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    If you find and kind of fungus growth, treat it immediately before it spreads. What I did back then was put the lens under the sun, with both caps remove, the front of the lens face down on a piece of aluminum foil (shiny side up) and let sun light do its job.

    The key thing is use your equipment!
    Can you really do that? How long did you leave your lens under the sun for? Won't it spoil anything? Say, the rubber rings or any plastic parts?
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    261

    Default Re: Dry Box

    Yes, this is one of the methods which most of us use in the 80s (wow, its been 20 years....).
    But of course, do that on the lens only (as you do not want to damage your camera body). But I did try that on some of my Nikkor lenses that got fungus due to poor maintenance....while it stopped further growth, it did not kill the fungus, as once it eats into your coating on your lenses, there is nothing much you can do....
    The effect? If you are lucky, small fungus growth does not appear on your pics. But some will show as a small dark spot or a discolored patch depending on how bad the fungus growth and how bad your multi-coating has been destroyed....lost quite a lot of Nikkor lenses those days....until dry cabinet came!
    In summary, use your equipment often and you will avoid such problems!

    Michael

  9. #29

    Default Re: Dry Box

    Michael68,

    You mention rubber hardening if the dry cabinet is set below 40 humidity. Is it ok to store stuff such as earphones in the dry cabinet as well. Will it destroy the rubber which protects the wire of the earphones. I have a couple of earphones which
    the rubber part will melt if placed in my table drawer for too long.
    Will storing the earphones in the dry cabinet hepled? Is it ok to store it together with the cameras and lens?

    I also have a wide-lens and it have a small fungus patched which cannot be removed. Is it ok to store it together with my newer cameras and lens in the dry cabinet.

    Sorry for the long questions. Really need those answers.

    Thanks alot.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Dry Box

    Just to share my experience. I also got the Digi cabi from Comex. I also noted the fluctuation no matter how I set the dial differently.

    What I did was to turn the dial all the way to the left until it switches OFF (no green light). Then I adjust the dial to just below the "A" indicator. So far, I have been having readings between 44 to 46.

    Try that out and post your results.

    Later.
    Last edited by Lawyon; 12th September 2005 at 12:19 PM.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Dry Box

    Quote Originally Posted by karnage
    Can you really do that? How long did you leave your lens under the sun for? Won't it spoil anything? Say, the rubber rings or any plastic parts?
    Got a wide lens with the a small patch of fungus. Worth a try and see how it goes.

    Thanks for the tip.

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 3rd Rock
    Posts
    1,269

    Default Re: Dry Box

    Quote Originally Posted by illustrious
    I got a simple dry box with no a simple open/close valve and meter. The reading reads 50 and I also placed a thirsty hippo in there just in case. The box is placed in my cupboard which is in my room, which most of the time air con is on.

    Question... should I keep the hippo in there?

    These things are very new to me. Need some help before I find strange things happening to my cam.

    hmm...if too dry, the rubber seal may crack and multicoating may peel off, and may breed certain type of mould too (read about it in one of the article), so need to monitor.

    One of the forumer here didn't maintain his dry box properly, so upon his return to Hong Kong, all his lenses were covered with moulds. IMHO, try to get a electrical dry-box if possible, at least you can sleep in peace. My setting is maintained at 45%.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Dry Box

    Quote Originally Posted by karnage
    Can you really do that? How long did you leave your lens under the sun for? Won't it spoil anything? Say, the rubber rings or any plastic parts?
    nothing scientific about it. leave it our for an afternoon and see. The rubber gaskets should be ok here in Singapore, it was much drier in California when I lived there. As far as the plastic parts, 40-50C is not going to damage anything.

    this only kills the fungus, wont remove them. The best way is still use your equipmetn regularly.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    261

    Default Re: Dry Box

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyon
    Michael68,

    You mention rubber hardening if the dry cabinet is set below 40 humidity. Is it ok to store stuff such as earphones in the dry cabinet as well. Will it destroy the rubber which protects the wire of the earphones. I have a couple of earphones which
    the rubber part will melt if placed in my table drawer for too long.
    Will storing the earphones in the dry cabinet hepled? Is it ok to store it together with the cameras and lens?

    I also have a wide-lens and it have a small fungus patched which cannot be removed. Is it ok to store it together with my newer cameras and lens in the dry cabinet.

    Sorry for the long questions. Really need those answers.

    Thanks alot.
    Hi,
    I do not think you will set it way below 40% right? So long as it is about 40-50 (or near 40) should be ok. I have maintained this range for several years with no problems. My rubberised lens hood (which also melted when I kept in my cupboard) is still looking good after all these years.
    well, it is not advisable to mix fungus gear with the rest (this was advised by a microbiologist in the US who does research on fungus growth) as this could introduce more fungus pores into the dry cabi (fungus pores are already everywhere in the air, waiting for the right conditions to grow). better to keep it separate....

    Regards,
    Michael

  15. #35

    Default Re: Dry Box

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael68
    Hi,
    I do not think you will set it way below 40% right? So long as it is about 40-50 (or near 40) should be ok. I have maintained this range for several years with no problems. My rubberised lens hood (which also melted when I kept in my cupboard) is still looking good after all these years.
    well, it is not advisable to mix fungus gear with the rest (this was advised by a microbiologist in the US who does research on fungus growth) as this could introduce more fungus pores into the dry cabi (fungus pores are already everywhere in the air, waiting for the right conditions to grow). better to keep it separate....

    Regards,
    Michael

    Thanks for your reply. Just to elaborate, when you mentioned fungus gear, do you mean those which already exists and cannot be wipe away or removed such as those in the lens. What about those which can be wiped and cleaned? Can these items be mixed together with other gear in the box? I mean there are no perfectly clean gear. Perhaps I need further understanding. Kindly enlighten. Many thanks!

  16. #36

    Default Re: Dry Box

    Can anyone suggest an alternative soft-padded material for the drawers in the dry cabinet. Thanks!

  17. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    261

    Default Re: Dry Box

    I guess if it is already cleaned then it should be ok. For soft padding, you may get air filled bags that are normally used to pack your computer stuff etc. I used some of these as they are air filled and would not normally trap moisture. I guess you want this to prevent hard bumps when you put in your gear right? I think some shops do sell them, but let me know if you come across any as mine were salvaged when I purchased my computer.....

    Michael

  18. #38

    Default Re: Dry Box

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael68
    I guess if it is already cleaned then it should be ok. For soft padding, you may get air filled bags that are normally used to pack your computer stuff etc. I used some of these as they are air filled and would not normally trap moisture. I guess you want this to prevent hard bumps when you put in your gear right? I think some shops do sell them, but let me know if you come across any as mine were salvaged when I purchased my computer.....

    Michael

    Thanks for clearing some of my doubts Mike. Guess it is ok to put my cleaned earphones with the cams and lens in the
    cabinet now.

    Do you mean bubble wrap? Those with air bubble on plastic sheets? They can be bought at stationary shops. Try your neighborhood, they should have them.

    L

  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    261

    Default Re: Dry Box

    Thanks, will try to get some new stocks to replenish my old ones.....
    "....it is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness...."

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Dry Box

    Hi, just to check with you all, do you place the dry cabinet in an Air-con room?
    My experience is that sometimes when I bring out the camera in the morning after a night in an ultra cool aircon room(Not in a dry cabinet), the lens got water vapour from inside, which mades the camera unusable. I suppose this will contribute to fungus growing right?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •