Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Learning Photoggrahy by trying to replicate pictures

  1. #1

    Default Learning Photoggrahy by trying to replicate pictures

    Hi,

    Just curious, does anyone know a thread that gives u easy photos to try and replicate?

    Photos that you can use a kit lens or slightly higher to replicate.

    I'm just wondering if this would work as it lets u learn more because you have to explore so many options as you shoot.

    Sorry if this is a repost because I tried searching and couldn't find.

  2. #2
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Learning Photoggrahy by trying to replicate pictures

    I don't recall that I ever come across such thread here.
    however, check out these groups in flickr, this is what a kit lens can do, your creativity and imagination is the limit.

    https://www.flickr.com/groups/nikon18-55/

    https://www.flickr.com/groups/993931@N25/
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  3. #3
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: Learning Photoggrahy by trying to replicate pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by RiRi85 View Post
    Just curious, does anyone know a thread that gives u easy photos to try and replicate?
    Photos that you can use a kit lens or slightly higher to replicate.
    We have lots of galleries and special threads here. Most people state the lens / focal length used. If this falls within the range of your kit lens then go ahead and try to replicate.
    EOS

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    We have lots of galleries and special threads here. Most people state the lens / focal length used. If this falls within the range of your kit lens then go ahead and try to replicate.
    Yeap that's exactly what I mean, but there isn't a dedicated thread to do this.

    Which will really help noobs like me to learn
    1. Composition
    2. Variation

    Which will help me learn that equipment isn't always key

  5. #5
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Learning Photoggrahy by trying to replicate pictures

    You can check out countless photography tutorials on various topics in Youtube, just type in the keyword in the search box, eg, "photography composition tutorial"
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  6. #6
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: Learning Photoggrahy by trying to replicate pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by RiRi85 View Post
    Yeap that's exactly what I mean, but there isn't a dedicated thread to do this.
    Just create your own one in Newbies Section.
    1) Select a picture you want to use as example and link into your post for reference.
    2) Post your attempts with sufficient details (cam settings, your thoughts, why you did what you did etc).
    3) Discuss the feedback.
    EOS

  7. #7
    Member Mythmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Buangkok MRT
    Posts
    1,011

    Default Re: Learning Photoggrahy by trying to replicate pictures

    I just look at 500px everyday. Still life genre is a good place to start.

    Otherwise, just watch movies. Your inert composition comes from your interpretation of the movies that you watch. I won't say all movie goers are good photographers, but all good photographers watches alot of movies.
    Last edited by Mythmaker; 18th February 2015 at 12:14 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Learning Photoggrahy by trying to replicate pictures

    You don't need a thread if you're trying to replicate a photo. Just find a photo you like and get to work.
    As Octarine said, start a thread (in the Critique section) if you want feedback. If you do that, pls read the guide on asking for critique first.

    http://1x.com/ has a lot of outstanding work


    Your kit lens is good enough, unless you trying to replicate a photo taken with a ultra wide or tele (and even then, you can crop to get a tele effect, within limits).

    You'll likely be learning the technical aspects this way, through trial and error. But there's a lot more to a good photo then just the technical bits. When you find a photo that speaks to you, think about why it works. The content, composition, lighting and emotion that go into it. Then you can go beyond replicating.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Nikonzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    2,544

    Default Re: Learning Photoggrahy by trying to replicate pictures

    This will help...composition can also be learned by studying the great masters.

    http://www.adammarelliphoto.com/cate...-compositions/
    Expand your mind or get left behind

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: Learning Photoggrahy by trying to replicate pictures

    Hi you will not learn by copying a photo

    Copying will not teach you creativity

    It will just teach you to be a fake

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: Learning Photoggrahy by trying to replicate pictures

    Also i see you are here since 2008

    Have you not learned anything in 7 years?

  12. #12
    Member Mythmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Buangkok MRT
    Posts
    1,011

    Default Re: Learning Photoggrahy by trying to replicate pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by ElCarnicero View Post
    Hi you will not learn by copying a photo

    Copying will not teach you creativity

    It will just teach you to be a fake
    There are 3 ways which we can attain wisdom.

    The first is by experience, which is bitterest.
    The second is by imitation, which is easiest.
    The third is by reflection, which is noblest.

    If you cannot even imitate, you cannot produce good works.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    265

    Default Re: Learning Photoggrahy by trying to replicate pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    You can check out countless photography tutorials on various topics in Youtube, just type in the keyword in the search box, eg, "photography composition tutorial"
    my fav vid on composition xD


  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: Learning Photoggrahy by trying to replicate pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by Mythmaker View Post
    There are 3 ways which we can attain wisdom.

    The first is by experience, which is bitterest.
    The second is by imitation, which is easiest.
    The third is by reflection, which is noblest.

    If you cannot even imitate, you cannot produce good works.
    The best works do not come from imitators

    The best work come from innovators

  15. #15
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Learning Photoggrahy by trying to replicate pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by Mythmaker View Post
    There are 3 ways which we can attain wisdom.

    The first is by experience, which is bitterest.
    The second is by imitation, which is easiest.
    The third is by reflection, which is noblest.

    If you cannot even imitate, you cannot produce good works.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElCarnicero View Post
    The best works do not come from imitators

    The best work come from innovators

    Both of you are correct, and there is no way to tell which is the best way to learn, since each of us take a different journey.

    since we have already provided TS our opinions and suggestions, it is up to him to interpreter what is best for him.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  16. #16
    Senior Member Nikonzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    2,544

    Default Re: Learning Photoggrahy by trying to replicate pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by ElCarnicero View Post
    The best works do not come from imitators

    The best work come from innovators
    "We have invented nothing new." Picasso upon viewing the famous cave paintings in France.
    Expand your mind or get left behind

  17. #17
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Replication and imitation is good to build up your foundation. When looking at any photo that interests you and stop to think how that photo is achieved. Then go out and try to replicate. Then come back and compare your result with the original. Take note of what you did right and did wrong. Try and try again.

    That is how you build up your foundation on technical basics.

    The next step will be learn composition and add your own interpretation and execute using the skills you picked up when building your foundation. Practise practise practise till it becomes 2nd nature.

  18. #18
    Moderator keithwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LittleRedDot
    Posts
    7,889

    Default

    What's most important is the willingness to learn , imitating helps in getting u started - from portraits (poses etc) to landscapes. Visit the Photo Galleries section for some ideas.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Learning Photoggrahy by trying to replicate pictures

    A bit off topic but one area of inspiration that's often overlooked are paintings from the great masters.
    Years ago I had taken a course and the weekly challenge was the subject of still life.
    Lacking inspiration I turned to google and one of the first results that came up was a Cezanne still life painting that I then tried to recreate. For me, that was probably the best learning exercise that I experienced to date.
    As an example, Rembrandt would be a great study in portraiture and general directional lighting.
    A visit to any of the many galleries around should prove fruitful if you're looking for images to recreate.

  20. #20
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Learning Photoggrahy by trying to replicate pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    A bit off topic but one area of inspiration that's often overlooked are paintings from the great masters.
    Years ago I had taken a course and the weekly challenge was the subject of still life.
    Lacking inspiration I turned to google and one of the first results that came up was a Cezanne still life painting that I then tried to recreate. For me, that was probably the best learning exercise that I experienced to date.
    As an example, Rembrandt would be a great study in portraiture and general directional lighting.
    A visit to any of the many galleries around should prove fruitful if you're looking for images to recreate.
    This is great advice.

    The best piece on landscape composition I ever read was on landscape painting.

    And rembrandt lighting is already one of the most mainstream and basic lighting techniques.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •