View Poll Results: Made in Japan: Big deal?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

114 67.06%
  • No

25 14.71%
  • Not sure

6 3.53%
  • Don't care

25 14.71%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Made in Japan: Does it matter to you?

Default Re: Made in Japan: Does it matter to you?

Quote Originally Posted by sulhan
    hahah...

Its The company trying to get more profit. Price of the camera can stilll be the same. The cost of parts and labour cost is probably only a portion of what you are paying...To maximise profit...hence the low cost location...

rgds,
    sulhan
    Hi there,
    How's your flash enhancer thing going on? A lot of people are waiting for an answer. Do keep us inform is it still on? Thankx dude.

If you have a same model camera with one Made in Japan and one made in another Asian country...
    Certainly, most of the consumers will go after MIJ....

If I am the marketing director of the company, I would set up 2 production lines, 1 in Japan and 1 in China/Thailand/etc. making the same camera. The Japan one will sell at a premium price while the other one will sell at a bargain price. So customers can choose which to buy and how much to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    If I am the marketing director of the company, I would set up 2 production lines, 1 in Japan and 1 in China/Thailand/etc. making the same camera. The Japan one will sell at a premium price while the other one will sell at a bargain price. So customers can choose which to buy and how much to pay.
    MIJ will sell in Japan & MI China/Thailand/etc, will sell in the rest of asia...

You can't blame people here. Most of us work for a leaving & hardly work to excel due to small market here.
    For Japan is totally a different thing. Imagine if your products can sold for a total of 30,000 - 50,000 units in 3 mths or so, what will you think?

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman
    I know many people think Made-in-Japan is better. I used to think this wasn't really true. I thought even if outsourced to factories elsewhere in Asia, still would have Japanese QC standards. But I think I've changed my mind.

Take Casio cameras, for example. Their EXILIM cameras used to be made in Japan, and they did feel decidedly more "solid" than the current made in China ones. Even their latest models felt kinda "cheap" to the touch. Only their EX-P505 and (I assume) EX-P707 are still made in Japan. Panasonic's FX-series (as far as I know) and Canon's IXUS series cameras are also made in Japan and they feel solid as well, so I think it's no longer just a coincidence.

But then again, the Konica Minolta Dynax 7D is made in Malaysia and people seem very pleased with it. Probably KM specified higher QC standards for this camera, since it's their flagship model. I have a Dynax 60 film camera, also made in M'sia, and its shutter button jammed just barely after a year of very light use!
    Strange I own a Dynax 5 (made in malaysia)which I bought in 2002 and it serve me well till I sold it in 2005. You were probably unluck and got one that slip through QC.

not sure leh...made in japan maybe my images will look better ya....

its interesting but some collectors swear that Made in Germany is better than the Japan counterpart..
    Regards, Mark Pang
    www.markpangphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by haagen_dazs
    its interesting but some collectors swear that Made in Germany is better than the Japan counterpart..
    Yah! The price is much more better than the japanese one. But look who's winning in the end?
    Last edited by Spectrum; 30th March 2006 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by haagen_dazs
    In the old days yes. Today? But I still prefer German made, only money can not "tahan" .

Regards,
    Arto.

Made in Japan is a quality assurance nowadays.

(Japanese are very serious in their working attitude and quality assurance. Also, they keep the best technology within their country, no exporting)
    DR KOH KHO KING

With how digital camera technology progresses nowadays, it's practically a "disposable" culture being formed. It doesn't really matter if your latest digicam can last 5-10 years usage, but gets outdated every 18 months, and due for an upgrade (lower noise, faster operation, better lens) after 2-3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    With how digital camera technology progresses nowadays, it's practically a "disposable" culture being formed. It doesn't really matter if your latest digicam can last 5-10 years usage, but gets outdated every 18 months, and due for an upgrade (lower noise, faster operation, better lens) after 2-3 years.
    I still love and use my "outdated" Olympus C5050...
    DR KOH KHO KING

Quote Originally Posted by Kho King
    I still love and use my "outdated" Olympus C5050...
    Unfortunately, not many people think like you. The Oly C5050 is one of the high-end for it's time, and now, as you've said, "outdated".

If everything is MIJ and it drives the cost up, do you think we can afford cheaper cameras with better technology today? Two cents, with a pinch of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    Unfortunately, not many people think like you. The Oly C5050 is one of the high-end for it's time, and now, as you've said, "outdated".

If everything is MIJ and it drives the cost up, do you think we can afford cheaper cameras with better technology today? Two cents, with a pinch of salt.
    I said "outdated" not outdated...
    DR KOH KHO KING

Quote Originally Posted by Kho King
    I said "outdated" not outdated...
    He said "outdated" too.

Regards,
    Arto.

For me, if there is a choice, I definitely will go for made in Japan. Call it kiasu if you like, its kind of assure you there is less of a chance you gonna get a faulty set of lens or camera.

Having work with Jap workers at production level in Japan, I really can feel that they really take alot of pride in churning out reliable stuff. They are fast to solve problem if it arises. And are innovative in their ways of problem solving as well.Their work ethic is top class. May be is in born in them
    But that said, I am not saying workers from other countries isn't up to the mark, just that one can take assurance from Japan made product are of the highest quality at all times.
    (I no longer a works for a Jap firm now, so no prejudice is involve here )

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    In the old days yes. Today? But I still prefer German made, only money can not "tahan" .

Regards,
    Arto.
    German? Mechanics and optics are top class but their electronics is still lagging behind a little.

Have to say that with same QA there are some things that works very well in US or Japan but sh**t here.
    I know I am a big laggin but just wanted to point out something. Japan generally has a very humid weather, I think because it has many mountains. In fact in summer, in certain parts of Japan, I feel it's worse than what we experience in Singapore. So this may suggest that Japanese manufacturers test more for humidity than perhaps Germany or US?

For the record, I do prefer MIJ products - less chances of defects. But I believe it's impossible to make a sweeping statement that all Japanese products have higher quality than non MIJ, coz there are just too many factors involved unless maybe you compare the exact same product selling for almost the same price.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123