Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hard Work Does Pay

Default Re: Hard Work Does Pay

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonzen View Post
    As I said I walked most of the summer (so I know the cheats!) After the initial blow of the story settles in you begin to wonder if it might not have some holes.
    Let's have a look at the time spent. The average person has a walking speed of 5km/h. Let's give him credits for being good in shape: 6km/h. That means more than 5h walking time in one direction. Together with 8h shift he spends 18h per day out there, leaving him 6h for eating and sleeping at home.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Let's have a look at the time spent. The average person has a walking speed of 5km/h. Let's give him credits for being good in shape: 6km/h. That means more than 5h walking time in one direction. Together with 8h shift he spends 18h per day out there, leaving him 6h for eating and sleeping at home.
    Inclement weather will slow you down too and this man is supposed to be able to do this for 10 years on 6 hours of sleep per night. I think we can call BS on this one maybe. Imagine all this money the car and all this hoopla. Set up deal for the banker and the car dealership?
    Last edited by Nikonzen; 10th February 2015 at 12:47 PM.
    Expand your mind or get left behind

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonzen View Post
    Inclement weather will slow you down too and this man is supposed to be able to do this for 10 years on 6 hours of sleep per night. I think we can call BS on this one maybe. Imagine all this money the car and all this hoopla. Set up deal for the banker and the car dealership?
    Just reading a report in German magazine Spiegel Online, obviously the initially linked story in inaccurate.
    According this article, he walks 13km to get to his job and walks 21km on his way back. All together the reported 34km. The shorter distance is due to the fact that he can use buses for a certain part of his way to the factory. He leaves home by 8am, returning by 4am next day. He only sleeps 2h and catches up sleep on weekends.
    This article in Detroit Free Press looks much more accurate.
    EOS

not efficient. he should bring a set of clothes for 5 days and only go home on weekends where he's not working. sleep on premises or camp nearby
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    not efficient. he should bring a set of clothes for 5 days and only go home on weekends where he's not working. sleep on premises or camp nearby
    More sleep and less walking - cat's philosophy
    I eats, shoots & leaves

Blog Entries

should just sleep at workplace and take on security guard job to double income and/or move somewhere nearby .... or ride a bicycle

sob stories make money is more like it

i have my doubts
    Last edited by ed9119; 12th February 2015 at 09:42 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

To walk 21miles/33km, if your walking speed 6km/hr, you need 5.5 hrs to walk to the office, assume his office start at 9am, he needs to start walking at 3.30am, and assume office hour end at 5pm, he will reach home at after midnight, so basically he got no time to eat or sleep

moral of the story, don't take all report on face value.

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    To walk 21miles/33km, if your walking speed 6km/hr, you need 5.5 hrs to walk to the office, assume his office start at 9am, he needs to start walking at 3.30am, and assume office hour end at 5pm, he will reach home at after midnight, so basically he got no time to eat or sleep
    I believe the reporter have check out his story
    2-10 p.m. shift
    part of the journey on bus
    Sleep 2 hours on week days and sleep longer on weekend.

Last edited by Yutaka Go; 13th February 2015 at 11:08 PM.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post

Not true. 21 miles = 33.7962 KM

34 Km - According to one website, the distance from Changi Airport to Jurong East Street 21.

If he live in Jurong and work in Changi Airport. Then he will walk about 21 miles.
    U measure with a straight line between jurong to airport or follow the roads and terrains?

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    U measure with a straight line between jurong to airport or follow the roads and terrains?
    Base on information from this website

http://www.distancesfrom.com/sg/dist...ry/177320.aspx
    I eats, shoots & leaves

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123