Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard Work Does Pay

Default Re: Hard Work Does Pay

Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post
    Can you provide more examples where people like him walk 21 miles to work ?
    The professional Olympian long distance walkers?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    The professional Olympian long distance walkers?
    For them, walking is working out

Cannot consider as walking to work

And they also get pay for walking
    I eats, shoots & leaves

Hardworking is usually measure by the number of hours you work, not the distance you walk to work. Can you provide more examples where people like him walk 21 miles to work ? The reason why he can get so much money is because even the Americans feel that people like him is rare and extraordinary.
    If you measure hard work purely by the number of hours you put in then it may come as a rude shock fo you when you realise that many employers see that as inefficient.

As for whether I know anyone who walks 21 miles to and from work, I must admit I do not. But I do know of many who love to twist and turn just to win an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    If you measure hard work purely by the number of hours you put in then it may come as a rude shock fo you when you realise that many employers see that as inefficient.

As for whether I know anyone who walks 21 miles to and from work, I must admit I do not. But I do know of many who love to twist and turn just to win an argument.
    What do you mean twist and turn ?

Hardworking people, who walk 21 miles to work, are indeed very rare.
    This guy got a new car, he don't have to walk 21 miles to work anymore.
    Meaning there might not be anyone else in USA walking 21 miles to work.

You just don't want to admit that you are wrong.

In some Japanese companies, long working hours to get the job done means the effort you have contribute. It is appreciated by the management.

May be in your company, your work culture is different and your boss will not hesitate to retrench you, no matter how much effort you put in to get the project done.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

today you'll be the proud owner of a 56 Pontiac.
    Oh gosh man that old bird find out I can work on cars like a charm I would be in deep doo doo for sure! No thanks I just want to walk and takes some pictures.

You sir have a harsh life.
    A dirty job indeed but someone has to do it!
    Last edited by Nikonzen; 8th February 2015 at 01:23 AM.
    Expand your mind or get left behind

My last job before I "retired" to do photogrpahy fulltime was with a printing plant. Every morning I walked to the station in Dulwich Hill to catch a train to Redfern. From Redfern I hopped on another train to Straitfield and from there I changed to a bus. After a 30 minutes ride I got down to walk 15 minutes to the plant. There were cold windy days, raining days, days with hot winds, bus no come days, etc. I think I lasted about a year before I called it quit. I am now poor but at least I'm happy. Today I got to spend three and half hours shooting a German girl from Hamburg and after that had a late lunch with her while she previewed the photos. She has a beautiful tan and a beautiful English accent. This is the last shot while she towelled herself dry from the bathtub shoot she still posed for me. It's a Si Peh tough life but someone has to do it.
    "HARD" WORK INDEED ....
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

What do you mean twist and turn ? Hardworking people, who walk 21 miles to work, are indeed very rare. This guy got a new car, he don't have to walk 21 miles to work anymore. Meaning there might not be anyone else in USA walking 21 miles to work. You just don't want to admit that you are wrong. In some Japanese companies, long working hours to get the job done means the effort you have contribute. It is appreciated by the management. May be in your company, your work culture is different and your boss will not hesitate to retrench you, no matter how much effort you put in to get the project done.
    Whatever floats your boat mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonzen View Post
    A dirty job indeed but someone has to do it!
    Yes a dirty job indeed. You'll get itchy red eyes all the time. Few people want to do it.

Whatever floats your boat mate.
    Only water and nothing else will float a boat.

Yes a dirty job indeed. You'll get itchy red eyes all the time. Few people want to do it.
    Yes and the discomfort in the nether regions as you go about the chore, harsh. Very harsh.

The unfortunate truth is Hardworking people don't get rewarded. Those that work long hours, rank & file, it is all about $. Those that do not get paid and claimed that they are productive working long hours, it is for them to do soul searching (I am not generalising but do your own checks please)

We aren't born to work 12 hours and become productive. Take away chit chatting over the phones and having lunch lunch and breaks, how many snr executives work long hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    ...Take away chit chatting over the phones and having lunch lunch and breaks, how many snr executives work long hours?
    Ask their beautiful secretaries how hard and how long the senior executives work.

Last edited by Sion; 8th February 2015 at 08:09 PM.

With this assistant I am sure I will work HARD and LONG .... Again and again ....
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Quote Originally Posted by airfins View Post
    With this assistant I am sure I will work HARD and LONG .... Again and again ....

But first ask yourself you can tahan or not.
    Last edited by Sion; 8th February 2015 at 11:25 PM.

You will be working long and hard because nothing productive will ever get done!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonzen View Post
    If we walk 21 miles in SG, we will fall off into the sea.... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    Not true. 21 miles = 33.7962 KM

34 Km - According to one website, the distance from Changi Airport to Jurong East Street 21.

If he live in Jurong and work in Changi Airport. Then he will walk about 21 miles.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    This will happen to him if he walks into the sea:

Is it true that everybody in his place of work drive? He walks so many hours for 10 years instead of looking for an alternative? Not sure if this is a good example for others to emulate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    Is it true that everybody in his place of work drive? He walks so many hours for 10 years instead of looking for an alternative? Not sure if this is a good example for others to emulate.
    As I said I walked most of the summer (so I know the cheats!) After the initial blow of the story settles in you begin to wonder if it might not have some holes. Did you catch the metro that day? What about that spell when cousin Hughie worked with you for like months and drove you all back and forth? etc Who knows Victor you may be onto something...

I don't think Airborne Rangers march 15 miles a day for 10 years do they?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast