Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: Hard Work Does Pay

  1. #1
    Senior Member Nikonzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    2,544

    Default Hard Work Does Pay

    Expand your mind or get left behind

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hard Work Does Pay

    Yes. That is because that kind of hardworking people are very rare in USA (almost extinct)
    I eats, shoots & leaves

  3. #3
    Senior Member Nikonzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    2,544

    Default Re: Hard Work Does Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post
    Yes. That is because that kind of hardworking people are very rare in USA (almost extinct)
    Will all due respect bro I can understand your point and there is a grain of truth to what you say but even "very rare" is very far from the truth and "almost extinct" is preposterous IMHO.
    Last edited by Nikonzen; 7th February 2015 at 11:51 AM.
    Expand your mind or get left behind

  4. #4
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post
    Yes. That is because that kind of hardworking people are very rare in USA (almost extinct)
    Not a nice thing to do, making general and sweeping statements like this. Maybe you should visit America before making such statements. Many people there bust their butts working 2 or even 3 jobs just so they can put food on the table.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Nikonzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    2,544

    Default Re: Hard Work Does Pay

    Every country has it's fair share of problems. To me that is why stories like these are so great. It is a reaffirmation that the "can do" spirit is still alive and well in the human race. I thought it was an inspirational story. I walked to work all last spring , summer, and a bunch of fall this year because my vehicle's engine broke and until recently I just haven't really tried to replace it. I chose to walk in order to get some camera time and some exercise and to see if at 44 years old I could still do it. About 5 miles to work from my house over hilly terrain. My wife would pick me up at the end of the day. It was interesting to say the least. I was very surprised by how many people stopped to offer me a ride to town...very very surprised! A bonus is that I was profiting from these walks in several ways and at the same time not polluting the environment

    Incidentally Detroit the city the man in this article is from...home of the American car and mobility...is a dead city basically nowadays you should google it take a look.
    Last edited by Nikonzen; 7th February 2015 at 01:05 PM.
    Expand your mind or get left behind

  6. #6
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Hard Work Does Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post
    Yes. That is because that kind of hardworking people are very rare in USA (almost extinct)
    we have more than our fair share of strawberries and whiners too
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    we have more than our fair share of strawberries and whiners too
    well said lol

  8. #8
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Hard Work Does Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    we have more than our fair share of strawberries and whiners too

    Hard Truth....

    In any society... there will always be those who are hardworking and those who are plain slacker... that's just the way it is....

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  9. #9
    Senior Member Nikonzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    2,544

    Default Re: Hard Work Does Pay

    A man who walks 20 miles to work and 20 miles home after his shift has to be some sort of extreme...talk about switched on!

    Another interesting aspect to the story is the kid who decides to help the man with crowd funding. Then on top of that the folks who gave money to this man. It just seems strange to me. Cool but strange.

    I can't help but wondering if the man has been put in a place he does not belong. I do not know that I could ever handle such a light shined onto my life. This is some simple $10 an hour dude in Detroit and people all around the world are hearing his story. Fathom that for a while.
    Last edited by Nikonzen; 7th February 2015 at 05:43 PM.
    Expand your mind or get left behind

  10. #10

    Default

    I think this is a really inspirational true life story. Doesn't matter what the rest of the population is like. This person really shines and deserves every single praise given to him.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Hard Work Does Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    we have more than our fair share of strawberries and whiners too
    Singapore is a nation of hard-working people without whom we are not what we are today, yesterday and tomorrow.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Hard Work Does Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonzen View Post
    ...I was very surprised by how many people stopped to offer me a ride to town...very very surprised!...
    Well I won't be surprise drivers offer to pick you up:


  13. #13
    Senior Member Nikonzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    2,544

    Default Re: Hard Work Does Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Well I won't be surprise drivers offer to pick you up:

    If I looked like that I probably wouldn't have to work sir.

    I did have an old auntie in like a 56 Pontiac try to pick me up one day... She was probably after my camera! haha I think I will try to go find those snaps just to prove it to you! lol
    Expand your mind or get left behind

  14. #14
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Hard Work Does Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonzen View Post
    I did have an old auntie in like a 56 Pontiac try to pick me up one day... She was probably after my camera! haha I think I will try to go find those snaps just to prove it to you! lol
    Sorry to hear that you refused the offer of a ride.

    If not today you'll be the proud owner of a 56 Pontiac.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Hard Work Does Pay

    Will all due respect bro I can understand your point and there is a grain of truth to what you say but even "very rare" is very far from the truth and "almost extinct" is preposterous IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Not a nice thing to do, making general and sweeping statements like this. Maybe you should visit America before making such statements. Many people there bust their butts working 2 or even 3 jobs just so they can put food on the table.
    I know many people, who work 20 hours per day in SG. I believe that there are hardworking people in USA, who may also work 20 hours per day.

    However, how many of these hardworking people will walk 21 miles a day to get to work ?
    You don't get pay for walking

    Most hardworking people, work long hours to get more OT pay to put food on the table, not walk long distance to work.

    Therefore, I said this KIND of hardworking people is very rare.
    Last edited by Yutaka Go; 7th February 2015 at 08:58 PM.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

  16. #16
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post
    I know many people, who work 20 hours per day in SG. I believe that there are hardworking people in USA, who may also work 20 hours per day. However, how many of these hardworking people will walk 21 miles a day to get to work ? You don't get pay for walking Most hardworking people, work long hours to get more OT pay to put food on the table, not walk long distance to work. Therefore, I said this KIND of hardworking people is very rare.
    Not quite. You said "this kind of people in USA...." and that makes it a sweeping statement. Nowhere did you mention it was worldwide.
    Last edited by G-man; 7th February 2015 at 11:02 PM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Hard Work Does Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post
    I know many people, who work 20 hours per day in SG. I believe that there are hardworking people in USA, who may also work 20 hours per day.

    However, how many of these hardworking people will walk 21 miles a day to get to work ?
    You don't get pay for walking

    Most hardworking people, work long hours to get more OT pay to put food on the table, not walk long distance to work.

    Therefore, I said this KIND of hardworking people is very rare.
    My last job before I "retired" to do photogrpahy fulltime was with a printing plant.

    Every morning I walked to the station in Dulwich Hill to catch a train to Redfern. From Redfern I hopped on another train to Straitfield and from there I changed to a bus. After a 30 minutes ride I got down to walk 15 minutes to the plant.

    There were cold windy days, raining days, days with hot winds, bus no come days, etc.

    I think I lasted about a year before I called it quit.

    I am now poor but at least I'm happy. Today I got to spend three and half hours shooting a German girl from Hamburg and after that had a late lunch with her while she previewed the photos. She has a beautiful tan and a beautiful English accent.

    This is the last shot while she towelled herself dry from the bathtub shoot she still posed for me. It's a Si Peh tough life but someone has to do it.

    Last edited by Sion; 7th February 2015 at 11:04 PM.

  18. #18
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    My last job before I "retired" to do photogrpahy fulltime was with a printing plant. Every morning I walked to the station in Dulwich Hill to catch a train to Redfern. From Redfern I hopped on another train to Straitfield and from there I changed to a bus. After a 30 minutes ride I got down to walk 15 minutes to the plant. There were cold windy days, raining days, days with hot winds, bus no come days, etc. I think I lasted about a year before I called it quit. I am now poor but at least I'm happy. Today I got to spend three and half hours shooting a German girl from Hamburg and after that had a late lunch with her while she previewing the photos. She has a beautiful tan and a beautiful English accent. This is the last shot while she towelled herself dry from the bathtub shoot she still posed for me. It's a Si Peh tough life but someone has to do it.
    You sir have a harsh life.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Hard Work Does Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    You sir have a harsh life.
    Yah lor... It's very stressful. But nobody knows about it.
    Last edited by Sion; 7th February 2015 at 11:14 PM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Hard Work Does Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Not quite. You said "this kind of people in USA...." and that makes it a sweeping statement. Nowhere did you mention it was worldwide.
    Hardworking is usually measure by the number of hours you work, not the distance you walk to work.

    Can you provide more examples where people like him walk 21 miles to work ?

    The reason why he can get so much money is because even the Americans feel that people like him is rare and extraordinary.
    Last edited by Yutaka Go; 7th February 2015 at 11:32 PM.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •