Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Olympus OMD E-M5 Mk ii Hands-on Review

Default Re: Olympus OMD E-M5 Mk ii Hands-on Review

Here's a video of IS comparison done by WongLP and myself

A wise man said, "Any available light is good light"

Did a live composite shot the other day, it's good that this feature is given for all the new cameras since EM10. For those who wants to know what this mode is about check out this ongoing thread on live composite

Taken with 12-40F2.8 Pro lens, F16, 1/2sec composite for about 2-3minutes. Evening rush

nice review!

I've learnt that when using the C-AF focus mode of the camera, you can actually touch the screen to dictate where the camera should focus when there's a shallow DOF. And it's transition is very smooth. It'll look like the green box for magnifying, but it's actually pointing to where the camera should focus. If you recompose without touching the screen, it'll focus on the same spot in the same scene.

Here are images of the screen's UI showing the audio level monitoring. Also, there's a drawer that allows you to change the f stop, exposure compensation, mic level, earphone levels and zoom using the touch screen. These work during video recording, I believe it's to reduce the likelyhood of shaking when shooting on a tripod

Keystone compensation, a new feature introduced on EM1 v2 firmware, it's akin to using a shift function in a tilt shift lens (or sometimes known perspective control). Very useful I think. Typically, if the camera is levelled parallel to ground, you wouldn't have "keystone distortion", meaning the verticals remain straight and perpendicular to ground. If you tilt upwards, building will seem to converge, tilt downwards, buildings will diverge. Here's an application of it, it only changes the JPEG file, not the RAW.

Ok, after effect has still a little distortion for those with sharp eyes, blame it on the user eyes hehe. Location is a rooftop of a private property of a friend who stays there.
    Last edited by wonglp; 8th February 2015 at 12:20 AM.

The updated app allows you to record videos using your smartphone

ISO test, manual mode, in camera metering, custom white balance, noise filter standard

Last edited by spidey89; 8th February 2015 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wonglp View Post
    Keystone compensation, a new feature introduced on EM1 v2 firmware, it's akin to using a shift function in a tilt shift lens (or sometimes known perspective control). Very useful I think. Typically, if the camera is levelled parallel to ground, you wouldn't have "keystone distortion", meaning the verticals remain straight and perpendicular to ground. If you tilt upwards, building will seem to converge, tilt downwards, buildings will diverge. Here's an application of it, it only changes the JPEG file, not the RAW.

Ok, after effect has still a little distortion for those with sharp eyes, blame it on the user eyes hehe. Location is a rooftop of a private property of a friend who stays there.

Interesting feature. Did you notice any deterioration in image quality after the correction?

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Interesting feature. Did you notice any deterioration in image quality after the correction?
    Hi Kit,

I don't really see deterioration on EM1 with v2 firmware when I was testing it, here's the same shot above with EM5MarkII just for comparison.

This one is close to centre

This one is close to left edge

It seems some sharpening was done perhaps to recover details on distortion corrected shot. Do you think so?

<Update> I just gotten the files from Spidey89 and the Hi res doesn't work with Keystone, even though on screen it shows as hi res, the final output is normal Jpg.
    Last edited by wonglp; 12th February 2015 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Update of Keystone + Hi Res doesn't work

i always think of using keystone compensation when shooting 'down up' from ground.. didnt realise that we can use it for 'up down' lol

well lesson learned
    Lens for life.. Body for depreciation...

Hi Kit,

I don't really see deterioration on EM1 with v2 firmware when I was testing it, here's the same shot above with EM5MarkII just for comparison.

It seems some sharpening was done perhaps to recover details on distortion corrected shot. Do you think so?

I did a hi res one this evening, but the card is Spidey's, when I get it will check again, hi res does allow keystone distortion feature which is nice to have.
    Bro,able to shoot in raw with key stone since can be used with high resolution?

Hi Kit,

I did a hi res one this evening, but the card is Spidey's, when I get it will check again, hi res does allow keystone distortion feature which is nice to have.
    For the first 2 photos, details in the uncorrected one definitely looks better. The lights along the skypark looks kinda smudgey in the corrected one. Getting away from scrutinising the pixels, I'm sure it's not going to be visible on small prints. The correction is not 100% though and you do have to take the final cropping into consideration when shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by subatoyo View Post
    Bro,able to shoot in raw with key stone since can be used with high resolution?
    <Update> Just gotten the files from Spidey89 this evening. Sorry, Keystone and Hi res doesn't work together, even though on screen it looks like.
    Last edited by wonglp; 12th February 2015 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    For the first 2 photos, details in the uncorrected one definitely looks better. The lights along the skypark looks kinda smudgey in the corrected one. Getting away from scrutinising the pixels, I'm sure it's not going to be visible on small prints. The correction is not 100% though and you do have to take the final cropping into consideration when shooting.
    Yeah, final cropping will certainly take away quite a bit of shot. I'll check a couple more files later. cheers!

Images from here on are taken with the M.Zuiko Digital 12-40mm f2.8 PRO lens. All images processed in cam or OOC

This was using the color creator, saturated the reds

By accident, I forgot to set the ISO, this was 1.3s, f5.6, ISO 200, 17mm,34mm (35mm equivalent) and it's relatively sharp. The 5 axis IS is amazing

Really great to have the swivel screen back, would have been tough to shoot images like this with a tilt screen.

It was sunny when I shot yesterday, I couldn't see what's on the screen when reviewing. The EVF works great as a loupe with my head protecting the view from the sun

Here's a shot of 16MP vs 40MP out of camera jpg. Centre crop.

Using EM5 Mark II + 14-150mm F4-5.6 II. Both shot at 14mm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast