Thread: Qns regarding Vibration Compensation (On or Off)

Default Qns regarding Vibration Compensation (On or Off)

Hi, regarding image stabilization, got a tamaron 24-70 2.8. with VC recently,

wondering is it necessary to turn VC on during eg, settings of ISO 800, Aperature 4.0, and Speed 1/100s,

Or daytime when the shutter speed is 1/1000s, when shooting continuous mode or with flash? All on handheld.

Understand its useful when shutter speed is slow. Most sites mention only turning it off when on tripod.

Thank you.
    Last edited by edyst37; 31st January 2015 at 10:30 AM.

Default Re: Qns regarding Vibration Compensation (On or Off)

Usually I just leave it on all the way... other than on tripod
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Thanks for the advice

There is a rule of thumb saying that your shutter speed should be at least 1/[focal length * crop factor] or faster to avoid handshake. Nothing about ISO or aperture.
    IS takes a bit of battery power. If you happen to run low on battery you could switch off IS, provided your shutter speed is fast enough.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Even on tripod, sometimes it can still be advantageous to turn IS on. For instance, if your tripod is not the sturdiest and there's strong wind (unlikely in SG but can happen when you travel), there will still be some shake and IS can take care of that.

My suggestion is this: usually when shooting on a tripod, you are not really in a time sensitive situation. Turn off IS first and go to live view. Use the magnify function, let the camera stabilise, then look at the image. If the image looks shaky, turn IS on. Otherwise, leave it off and shoot.