Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 60 of 60

Thread: Storm Force America to its Kneel! Thousand Fear Dead!

  1. #41

    Default Re: Storm Force America to its Kneel! Thousand Fear Dead!

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    Just wondering.....how on earth are we gonna send 3 choppers there? Fly all the way there? Or air cargo? Ship there? We are at the other side of the world.
    I believe that if a Chinook or Blackhawk folds back its blade, it can easily fit within the cargo hold of a C-5.

    http://www.chinook-helicopter.com/chinook/c5a1a.html

  2. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,021

    Default Re: Storm Force America to its Kneel! Thousand Fear Dead!

    Quote Originally Posted by singapurasteve
    I believe that if a Chinook or Blackhawk folds back its blade, it can easily fit within the cargo hold of a C-5.

    http://www.chinook-helicopter.com/chinook/c5a1a.html
    True but those 3 helicopters are drawn from the Chinook training detachment that is based in Texas.

  3. #43
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: Storm Force America to its Kneel! Thousand Fear Dead!

    Quote Originally Posted by r32
    True but those 3 helicopters are drawn from the Chinook training detachment that is based in Texas.
    I see! So they are already there.

  4. #44

    Default Re: Storm Force America to its Kneel! Thousand Fear Dead!

    Quote Originally Posted by r32
    True but those 3 helicopters are drawn from the Chinook training detachment that is based in Texas.
    I should have clarified that the link I posted was for reference purposes only, and that they were not the exact helicopters that Singapore was sending. I was simply trying to say to 'afbug' that a helicopter can be fitted and moved globally within a few hours.

  5. #45

    Default Re: Storm Force America to its Kneel! Thousand Fear Dead!

    The mayor of New Orleans appealing for help on CNN.

    http://www.atypical.net/mm/nagin.mp3

    Help is already too late. Hundreds of ppl may have already died in their homes, which are flooded up to their neck level, waiting for helicopters to reach them in their house. The plan to house ppl in the superdome was a BAD idea. They should have evacuated the people out of the town.

  6. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: Storm Force America to its Kneel! Thousand Fear Dead!

    We are sending our Chinooks out from Texas, and they would be attaching them under the Louisiana National Guard..which has given orders to shoot-to-kill anyone looting or attacking rescue forces.

    I think our aircrew might never have expected to be ordered on a weapons-free basis over an American city.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CCK
    Posts
    1,051

    Default Re: Just something lifted off my blog:

    Quote Originally Posted by r32
    Katrina

    The largest ever operation by the International Red Cross has just kicked off in the wake of the hurricane that has just given the soft belly of the United States a good hard kick. New Orleans, among other coastal cities over there are swimming in water, anarchy is rife, and hundreds of thousands homeless, and around 50 people are dead.

    On the same day, a stampede in Iraq kills more than 600. I'm just being cynical again, and its easy to be the armchair critic when I'm lying nice, dry and warm in bed with laptop balanced on my stomach, and say that the Americans over there don't deserve this much aid. Since when are American lives worth more in the eyes of the International Red Cross than in Iraq, or the cleansing operation going on in Zimbabwe, or one of dozens of human tragedies going on at the same time elsewhere in the world?

    Have we elevated the US to such a pedestal, that when the great equalizing factor of Mother Nature comes along to remind the world's last superpower that they aren't all they are crocked up to be, the rest of the world scrambles to put the US back to the top?

    I would love to know what your sources are. It beggars belief that the asian tsunami would not have been a larger operation. As for Iraq and Zimbabwe, perhaps you could tell us how safe it would be for the Red Cross to actually even show up? IIRC, the Red Cross has scaled down their operations in Iraq due to security concerns, what scale of operation can they mount there?

    In a stampede on a bridge, the situation occurs quickly and is over in a short period. After that, the emergency medical services take over, there is little role for an organisation like the Red Cross to provide further logistics help. Your comparison is flawed.

    Why do the Americans not deserve help? Americans in general, corporations and individuals, are quick to take out the wallet to help those in need. The rate of charitable giving as a percentage of GDP is far higher in the US than most asian countries, Singapore included, the citizens of which are so quick to jump in and criticize/diss/mock Americans when something goes wrong. PM LHL himself has said that the US are deserving of our help as they have always been quick to help others.

    Perhaps you should examine your own biases.....

    Quote Originally Posted by r32
    How the mighty have fallen.
    Says it all, this is really the point of your whole post isn't it?

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    666

    Default Re: Storm Force America to its Kneel! Thousand Fear Dead!

    Quote Originally Posted by reno77
    The mayor of New Orleans appealing for help on CNN. http://www.atypical.net/mm/nagin.mp3 Help is already too late. Hundreds of ppl may have already died in their homes, which are flooded up to their neck level, waiting for helicopters to reach them in their house. The plan to house ppl in the superdome was a BAD idea. They should have evacuated the people out of the town.
    Sometimes hor... these politicians.... peacetime.... dun care about maintaining infrastructure.... when trouble strikes ask for help.... who suffer? as usual the poor....

    BTW.... as mentioned in previous post... some of these people who kena trapped in their homes... Dun know what to say.... pple do mandatory evecuation.... you say violate your civil rights... now you need help.... cry father cry mother.... sounds harsh... but then dun know to pity them or scold them....
    Last edited by idor; 3rd September 2005 at 05:56 AM.

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    666

    Default Re: Just something lifted off my blog:

    Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    I would love to know what your sources are. It beggars belief that the asian tsunami would not have been a larger operation. As for Iraq and Zimbabwe, perhaps you could tell us how safe it would be for the Red Cross to actually even show up? IIRC, the Red Cross has scaled down their operations in Iraq due to security concerns, what scale of operation can they mount there?

    In a stampede on a bridge, the situation occurs quickly and is over in a short period. After that, the emergency medical services take over, there is little role for an organisation like the Red Cross to provide further logistics help. Your comparison is flawed.

    Why do the Americans not deserve help? Americans in general, corporations and individuals, are quick to take out the wallet to help those in need. The rate of charitable giving as a percentage of GDP is far higher in the US than most asian countries, Singapore included, the citizens of which are so quick to jump in and criticize/diss/mock Americans when something goes wrong. PM LHL himself has said that the US are deserving of our help as they have always been quick to help others.

    Perhaps you should examine your own biases.....



    Says it all, this is really the point of your whole post isn't it?
    Hi dkw... juat my 2 cents worth.... if you dun like it just take it that i tok **** okay? I agree with you on most part... just that Dun think charity is also so clean.... many times to get help they have to do tons of checking.... just like NKF type... BTW NKF learn from USA I think... heheheh anyways, americans help other countries cos can make quick buck... they aid other country... then they hire special agency to dispense the $$$..... the special agency is american company who is experienced in all those... so money flows back into their pocket..... Likewise in this type of disaster... there are people making big $$$ out of it........ common knowledge over here.... Personally i think SG should help also lah... but also hire our own consultant at exhorbant prices to give out aid... in that way money comes back to us....

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Just something lifted off my blog:

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    Har...? Are you talking about natural disaster or Human's Warfare? If there is no war, then humans does not exist. Animals fight their own wars too. Just that our weapons are far more devastating.
    yah, we should encourage more hatred and wars, it's just so natural

  11. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,021

    Default Re: Just something lifted off my blog:

    Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    Says it all, this is really the point of your whole post isn't it?
    Yup. I'm biased, disillusioned that the way how the global climate has changed with regard to the US being the only superpower left. There isn't a balance of power anymore.

    What I quote is what I have been informed of on internet news sites; "reliable" ones like CNN, etc, the Red Cross announcing that it was the single biggest operation. I'm drawing my own parallels between other diasasters. I'm sure you can pick apart every single one of the cases I have mentioned if you looked hard enough to find exceptions or excuses (and there always are exceptions), it is written as a blog entry, recall I am sitting up in bed writing before I go to sleep. I don't have volumes of journals or news reports to refer to, nor do I want to do it. I quote and reference enough for my scientific reports already.

    Interpretation of the information, if you think about it, is up to the individual, no matter how accurately it is presented. And I'll say that I tell no intentional lies, I am just regurgitating what I've been fed through the media, with my own bias.

    Its all down to perception, and which side you stand on. I can say my piece, you can say yours, and we can all go along our own merry way. Often, people argue on the internet, because they think through arguing they can change someone's point of view. But that just makes each person find more information and data to support the stand they choose to take.

    Are you going to tell me otherwise again?

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Storm Force America to its Kneel! Thousand Fear Dead!

    Who cares who is right or wrong at this moment? The fact is that there are thousands who needs help, lets support the Red Cross. And I am pretty sure the Red Cross (and their counterpart for the Muslim brothers and sisters) is one of the few that really does care indiscriminately, other than Medicins sans Frontiers, ORBIS, UNICEF and maybe some others.

    In those war affected parts of the world, they may have security reasons, although the Red Cross has been well known to be there at time of war too. Yes, there are times that we ask ourselves why those world bodies didn't do anything like Darfur (now!!) and the war between the Tutsi's and Hutu's several years ago, people are still bickering if it was genocide or not, and the reason of nbot sending troops was because it was not regarded as genoicide.......despite millions being killed!! Who cares what is in a word.............????

    Lets keep politics aside, these people suffer now, nature doesn't care about politics!

    Hong Sien
    Last edited by hongsien; 3rd September 2005 at 12:07 PM.

  13. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Global Village
    Posts
    443

    Default Re: Storm Force America to its Kneel! Thousand Fear Dead!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    While I appreciate a good joke... this is hardly the thread to laugh at thousands who are dead...
    I knew it. Somehow some kind soul will lighten things up and another will act noble. damn. everyone deserves a good joke to lighten things up. it's not beig insensitive, but sometimes the ability to take things lightly is coping with life's difficulties.

    as i said, don't act noble here. you piss me off.

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Storm Force America to its Kneel! Thousand Fear Dead!

    Quote Originally Posted by eric69
    I knew it. Somehow some kind soul will lighten things up and another will act noble. damn. everyone deserves a good joke to lighten things up. it's not beig insensitive, but sometimes the ability to take things lightly is coping with life's difficulties.

    as i said, don't act noble here. you piss me off.
    You also piss me off can I?..........your reaction to Zplus is really bad taste. I didn't mind the joke......but do mind your reaction.........

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    494

    Default Re: Storm Force America to its Kneel! Thousand Fear Dead!

    It reminds me of a chinese proverb:


    “窮在街前無人問,富在深山有遠親!”


    Nobody ask when you are poor in a crowded street, But have distant relatives even live in a mountain far far away(when you are rich).




    Ain't life a bitch,
    Last edited by Benign; 3rd September 2005 at 11:40 PM.

  16. #56
    Senior Member Hommie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    925

    Default Re: Storm Force America to its Kneel! Thousand Fear Dead!

    Quote Originally Posted by Benign View Post
    It reminds me of a chinese proverb:


    “窮在街前無人問,富在深山有遠親!”


    Nobody ask when you are poor in a crowded street, But have distant relatives even live in a mountain far far away(when you are rich).




    Ain't life a bitch,
    Sorry to dig up this thread but I love your proverb! Hahahaha!

  17. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    403

    Default Re: Storm Force America to its Kneel! Thousand Fear Dead!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hommie View Post
    Sorry to dig up this thread but I love your proverb! Hahahaha!
    damn you! hahahha.
    i was reading from page 1 and didn't realise that it was created in 2005. OMG!





































    stupid digger!

  18. #58

    Default Re: Storm Force America to its Kneel! Thousand Fear Dead!

    Quote Originally Posted by edesign View Post
    damn you! hahahha.
    i was reading from page 1 and didn't realise that it was created in 2005. OMG!

    stupid digger!
    well given that new orleans just got hit by hurricane gustav, its relevant all over again. fortunately they were spared from alot of damage this time round.

    but yes, this is a RATHER old thread
    It is such a quiet thing to fall,
    But far more terrible is to admit it

  19. #59
    Senior Member Hommie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    925

    Default Re: Storm Force America to its Kneel! Thousand Fear Dead!

    Quote Originally Posted by edesign View Post
    damn you! hahahha.
    i was reading from page 1 and didn't realise that it was created in 2005. OMG!





































    stupid digger!
    Hahaha, I was looking back at the years of posts I made in clubsnap and I realised that nobody replied this brilliant proverb by Benign! You have years more to catch up!

  20. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: Storm Force America to its Kneel! Thousand Fear Dead!

    Having just experienced Tropical Storm Fay a few days ago and having Hurricane/Tropical Storm Hanna due to start the flooding here again on Friday, it's a bit scary to think about these things. Storms Ike and Josephine are building also.

    Gustav caused many people to die on the islands in the Caribbean Ocean, where things are still fairly primitive sometimes. Thankfully, they did a great job evacuating New Orleans this time and the governments cooperated.

    This area (Florida) is still in a drought from all the influx of people and building, but the flood waters somehow never seem to help enough. I'm thankful the only place near my house that flooded was the main road and that was a defect they didn't correct that caused the problem.

    Closer to the Atlantic coast, many houses are unusable. I can't imagine that the situation will not become worse from Friday onward, even if the storm won't attack with strong winds as we had in 2004.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •