Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How you find your goal?

Default How you find your goal?

Hi guys,

I have a young friend, last night, told me he have no motivation to study and keep "sighing"
    I don't know how to advice thou because myself also dun have a goal ..

How you guys find your goal ah? Can share share your experience?

He is A level student, and this year is his last year for A level.

Default Re: How you find your goal?

Quote Originally Posted by Haze
    Hi guys,

I have a young friend, last night, told me he have no motivation to study and keep "sighing"

thought A level only 2 years, so not 1st must be last liao lor...

anyway, i find that most ppl do not actually like to study, me for instance, hate studying... i just enjoy the process of going to class & talk cxxk, share ideas... i find going to class entertaining... constantly bombarding the lecturers is my goal & mission... den i constantly will flung my papers... den strange y i still is motivated to go study? reason is simple, i absorb what i wanna absorb, i dun really care about the certification, end of the day, i know what i wan. The exams is not a gauge of what you have learnt, but a gauge of what you have understood... cheem rite... cos i have learnt things from class, but the exams did not test me, but if it really have what i know, den it will gauge how much i understand.

i think he is still young to understand that, and with the education system of SG, i think he would be so stressed that he can't even absorb anything... and most ppl emphasize on the paper qualification, but end of the day, do you actually use 100% of what you have learnt? maybe even 50%? everyday?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

well. get the cert.den think what u wan in life. pass all. why bother when u haven even secure a pass ?

after he finish his Alvl.pass the exams.play a while and get prepared for ns lah.. dun think so much..

i dunno why students think so much.... think of this think of that. think of what the cert can give u in future. it can provide for u. so work for it. no pain no gain.

sorry if am straightforward. but being as a student myself. i learnt my lesson once. i think of this think of that. and was nv interested in my subjs. so nw i've learn my lesson. and if he wans to learn his lessons thru the hard way by nt passing his alvls den he will one day live to realise it. coz i know how humiliating to go out and tell pple that u have onli a olvl cert.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    thought A level only 2 years, so not 1st must be last liao lor...

anyway, i find that most ppl do not actually like to study, me for instance, hate studying... i just enjoy the process of going to class & talk cxxk, share ideas... i find going to class entertaining... constantly bombarding the lecturers is my goal & mission... den i constantly will flung my papers... den strange y i still is motivated to go study? reason is simple, i absorb what i wanna absorb, i dun really care about the certification, end of the day, i know what i wan. The exams is not a gauge of what you have learnt, but a gauge of what you have understood... cheem rite... cos i have learnt things from class, but the exams did not test me, but if it really have what i know, den it will gauge how much i understand.

i think he is still young to understand that, and with the education system of SG, i think he would be so stressed that he can't even absorb anything... and most ppl emphasize on the paper qualification, but end of the day, do you actually use 100% of what you have learnt? maybe even 50%? everyday?
    Only thing I learn and use daily.... I learn in army... Arrow and Siam...

ask him what he wants to work as lor. garang workers or managerial position?
    nowadays sg really talks about paper qualification.
    i wont be bothered if i were you, let him go bang wall then he'll wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by furrycake
    ask him what he wants to work as lor. garang workers or managerial position?
    nowadays sg really talks about paper qualification.
    i wont be bothered if i were you, let him go bang wall then he'll wake up.
    i totally agree. such pple haven seen the reality of singapore. thats why our SM GCT said. "our singaporean students really have the "bochap" attitude.." i totally agree with him. even when i care for what i around me. pple (fellow schmates) say i kpo. why not i say that they bochap ?

let them learn the lesson the hard way.

tell him to treasure his student life...when he goes out to work...he'll look back and sigh about his working life

Hi guys,

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    i totally agree. such pple haven seen the reality of singapore. thats why our SM GCT said. "our singaporean students really have the "bochap" attitude.." i totally agree with him. even when i care for what i around me. pple (fellow schmates) say i kpo. why not i say that they bochap ?

let them learn the lesson the hard way.
    different ppl have different perception in life & also different maturity to different situation... end of it, everybody is different...

generally, i felt singaporeans consist of a few types, and you can really see them being clusttered together... the studious type, the garang type, the dependent type, the bo chap type... studious type is always aiming for the paper qualification, the garang type always out to seek adventure, the dependent type will always be whining... the bo chap type, u see them loitering around doing nothing... which type you wanna be?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by idor
    Only thing I learn and use daily.... I learn in army... Arrow and Siam...
    ... might not nec be the best set of values to preach... but sure works well as a NSF!!!

but back to the issue of goals, the guy is still young. i think that very few ppl have the capacity to envision before striving to achieving, most of us would be struggling only to look up at the end of the day to discover what we have indeed accomplished.

indeed it is good to have and set long-term goals (sound like coporate planning)... to be a doctor, architect, photographer, etc. with such vision, you can create your own opportunities. but all is not lost if you do not currently have a goal... just prepare yourself to take on opportunities as they present themselves... heck, that is a goal in itself!!!

i would say that 75% of the ppl who start work don't really have a goal in real mind (other than "get a job"), but they take on the opportunities as they present themselves. in the meantime, prepare for the future by keeping your options open, and part of that is studying & playing hard... discover yourself in your studies and outside of studies (recreation, sports, community, hobby, etc) too - that takes hard work too!!!

Blog Entries

ask hime to learn photography

to be really good in photography,
    you need maths to calculate f-stops and shutter speed
    science to know how light travel and the different properties
    of different materials and reacts with them.
    last time need to know chemistry also with darkroom work.

not to forget will also learn how to speak to people
    give critique
    take critique

and also go and work part time and experience working life
    and what he will be if he does not study

Note: the people at the top has less sh*t dropped on them.

for when after i started working then regret never study further....
    cannot promote fast!
    cannot aim for high high pay!!
    cannot be the boss of my current boss!!!

Now my goal is to go back study again and climb higher before searching for the next goal

hmm..sometimes you to reach a point where you start to dream, actually dream can be a goal too.
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

Quote Originally Posted by dominator
    for when after i started working then regret never study further....
    cannot promote fast!
    cannot aim for high high pay!!
    cannot be the boss of my current boss!!!

Now my goal is to go back study again and climb higher before searching for the next goal

hmm..sometimes you to reach a point where you start to dream, actually dream can be a goal too.
    yes. thats realli good. good cert = high pay. no cert = blue collared jobs. u can be a bus inspector or captain. but if that what he wants. he can go ahead and flung his exams. he can be a sports instructor. all he needs is he go take up a coaching course. like me. kayaking lvl 1. so why nt ? but if one realli wants to excel in singapore. get a degree and above....

to me. when i work.and when pple ask me for my qualifications. and when i tell them. they gt turned off because it was nt what they wanted. so i can realli say. singapore society is one who is more paper qualification based.

During my growing-up years, the goal was the 4C, that was the motivation to study!

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    During my growing-up years, the goal was the 4C, that was the motivation to study!
    same lor.. but 2 of ur Cs issit Canon and Cameras ?

Hi guys,

Positive thinking is the only way to go. Take a short break, freshen up...maybe he is temporarily 'burnt out'.

So many tactics, intimidation(cut his allowance)? rewards(buy him the latest gadgets)? psychological(tears of a parents)?

If not, tell him it is ok to fail......can alway have a second chance to try again

Hi guys,

I used to have no motivation to study until one day (when i was a teens), i pack up and work as an operator... ya , that was the day when i understand how hard it is to earn the $. I vow never to go back to those production lines and decide to excel beyond my dreams. I have never look back since then in my oversea stint.

Alot of young singaporeans are very "bo chap" . A little bit of pain may do some waking up to their "blissful" life.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    same lor.. but 2 of ur Cs issit Canon and Cameras ?
    Canon
    Carl Zeiss
    Contax
    Cosina

Hi guys,

A Level? Far too early to talk about goals. Dreams maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus jACK
    Canon
    Carl Zeiss
    Contax
    Cosina
    I like u Jack

and the last C to be,

Cactus?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast