Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Month long trip to Sweden, Denmark and Norway

Default Re: Month long trip to Sweden, Denmark and Norway

Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    Thanks man, they are quite useful, in fact i use the first link for my backpacking trip in Malaysia/Indonesia!
    I would use the first 2 links (hostelz and lonely planet) to check against each other and the last 2 for extra information. If it's possible for you to get insured for any accidents and immunized against diseases, do get that done too.

By the way for those who visited the 3 countries, do you know if the period i'm going 20oct - 18nov is off-peak period or? Where can i check the availability of transports? The last thing i want is the desire to go to a beautiful countryside and find out the train is not running because of the winter.
    Best is if you take a trip down to borders bookstore, grab a couple copies of those guidebooks to those places you are going to and do some reading. They will tell you most of what is important.

Or better yet, contact the tourism boards in those countries. I'm sure they have something like STB over there. The locals from that country would be the most well informed to give you first hand information. After all, they are promoting their country and live there.
    Last edited by GC1; 5th September 2005 at 11:47 AM.

Summer in Scandinavia literally "enjoy" 20 hours or so of daylight with the sun "never set", especially so at the northern most such as the Artic Circle and beyond. They named this phenomenon the midnight sun.

Winter period is quite the opposite, so I can't imagine the daylight hours you will have. People tends to stay indoor during winter to beat the low temperature and darkness.

Naturally, Summer is the peak season and some places of interest, as far as I can recollect, only operate from March to September/October period. So, transport (bus/ferry) to such places may not be in service. You got to check this yourself on the internet or in the guide book.

Am not 100% sure but I wouldn't think activity such as the below will be feasible during Winter.

Jas,
    That scene is truly !!
    May i know where is this place and what is this activity?

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    since this is the 1st time your are into sub-zero environment, may i suggest be extra carefull for your own safety 1st, instead of photography.
    have a wonderfull holiday.
    I agree with Dennis. Do be a bit careful in the new environment. It is cold when you hike out. It is not extreme, but the wind chill can be a handful. I can still jog around in a tee-shirt in zero celcius, but once the wind is up, it is a different ball game.

Sweden and Norway can be quite beautiful during this time. The daylight is shorter - 7 to 5 is about all the light you get in Nov. It is not a peak season for travelling. Can be a bit cold and lonely.

I do not find photography great during this time of the year there. Treasure the sun light - it can be fleeting. The older Swedes can be quite friendly. Visit their castles, lakes, museums. Drivng is on the wrong side of the road. Can be harrowing.

Do get some longjohns. Hot climate folks like us cannot quite tahan the cold at times, even though it is just autumn. Keep a small bottle of whisky with you, if you are afraid of cold like me. If you are thinking of serious hiking (overnight etc) be careful and be prepared. Read up. Keep dry and use proper gear. No joke at all if you are unprepared.

Enjoy your trip.

Just a question - is it possible to rent a car for a few days, and at night i just sleep in my car instead of a hostel? To save some money.. I'm a very shoestring traveller.

I have only been to Sweden, Stockholm for a couple of days and its a beautiful city. Spend some time at Gamla stan, take a cruise (did you know that Sweden actually consist of 14,000 islands!), visit the famous Wrecked Ship Museum (paiseh, cant remember the name) and many other top museums there, people watch etc. Things are incredibly expensive, a 3 star business hotel room, with miserable space, costs like S$200 plus bucks per night! A bus ride which plied abt 8 busstops cost S$10! The people there are incredibly friendly and (pretty too). I do agree with what some have said that near winter time may be a bit too cold, and daylight hours will be little, and its prob not the best time to visit Scandinavia. When i was there during summer, it was like 20 hrs of light and its fantastic for walking around. Also at Stockholm, all you need is to rent a bicycle and you can cycle around most of the main city, good and cheap and fun. If you bargain hard enough, its prob S$20 plus for a full day of rental. Check out whether you can do the same at the capital of Norway and Denmark as well. I know for sure that Amsterdam also has great cycling paths.

Jas,
    That scene is truly !!
    May i know where is this place and what is this activity?
    paiseh, after I posted that picture then I realised it doesn't really depict much activity but I was hoping that you exercise abit of imagination here.

Here goes the activity:

The face is mosiaced to protect the minor and innocence.

This glacier is the Briskdalbreen glacier, Europe largest, some miles away (30 mins or so by bus) from a small town called Olden, Norway.

Just a question - is it possible to rent a car for a few days, and at night i just sleep in my car instead of a hostel? To save some money.. I'm a very shoestring traveller.

No,no, no,....please do not sleep in the car....you will be "frozen"

The night is the coldest and the cold wind is "horrible", you need heater in your hostel room.

Keep warm always.

Looks like i have no choice but to spend more money and stay in hostels..
    Anybody have any good, cheap and well-located international hostels to recommend? One is YMCA, but i want to have more choices to pick from!

There were cheap YMCA around (several summers/years ago was about SGD$30, now could be around $40). Except everything else, I personally found the accommodation rate (hostel or sharing types) in Scandinavia was surprisingly cheap or at least comparable to its Europe counterparts.

Autumn/Winter is off peak (but peak for ski resort lah), so there may be autumn/winter discount for room rate. Go get a guide book for more info on hostel rates/types. I doubt members here can give you the detail/accurate info you need.

I never advanced booking for accommodation as I wanted flexibility in my travel plan. I got there at the train station/ferry terminal with a backpack and a guide book in hand and hope for the best. I was lucky (or maybe I was experience, haha), I never ended up on the street, but if you do, don't blame me hoh... But, I slept on night train cabin a couple of time to save cost.

I don't think renting a car for extensive travel would be a good idea. First, if it snows, the slippery road will be very dangerous for inexperienced "tropical" driver. Second, depending on where you plan to go, from point A to B could take 6 to 8 hours by car, where train will take probably a couple of hour or so. Futhermore, day light is short, fuel is expensive, parking is not cheap either. Also, to get to certain locations, you need or is best to be ferried across. So...

However, if you travelled by train/ferry to point B, stationed there for few days, then maybe you can consider renting a bicycle/car (only if there is such renting company there in the small town/village you may be visiting) or you can rely on public transport to explore the surrounding areas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12