Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Month long trip to Sweden, Denmark and Norway

Default Month long trip to Sweden, Denmark and Norway

I'm going for a month long backpacking trip to the above mentioned countries (aka Scandinavian countries), from Oct to Nov this year.

Anything i must take note whilst travelling, or any off-the-beaten-track places which offers great photo opportunities?

As this is the first time i'll be experiencing sub-zero temperature and snow, what are the precautions in terms of camera equipments? And where in Singapore can i get really warm (and cheap!) clothings?

Default Re: Month long trip to Sweden, Denmark and Norway

Most folks tend to hit these places in the summer or spring! Not sure about the other 2 countries but Denmark has quite a lot to offer. The dreary weather makes for great moody street shooting in Copenhagen. Forget the Little Mermaid, the statue is a real joke, too small and really insignificant. Visit the castles, up in the north. Bring loads of money... I always judge the standard of living of any city I visit by the cost of a Value meal at the local McDonald's... iirc, it's about $15 for a burger, fries and drink there. In the food court, a glass of coke is about $7-$10.

Winter clothing? there's a store in the new Marina Square, near the Sony store, which sells winter clothing at reasonable prices. Bring nice thick socks, waterproof boots, gloves (very important), scarves and good eyewear. Lip balm and hand moisturiser would be good too.

Batteries tend to run out a little faster in cold weather, but iirc, you're a film user ya? Xpan? Bring spare batts and film, you don't want to be paying nordic prices for your supplies. Waterproof baggies and rain protection for your camera bag would be essential.

Have fun! Make sure you post your pics on your return.

since this is the 1st time your are into sub-zero environment, may i suggest be extra carefull for your own safety 1st, instead of photography.
    have a wonderfull holiday.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Thanks Terence and Dennis for the replies!

I'm both a digital and film user. But i intend to shoot more BW films (35mm and probably 120), so the weather should be perfect for it.

Also, is there anything good and essential i can buy from Isetan? As i have a $100 voucher and would want to use it on buying stuffs for my trip.

By the way i need to get Sweden, Norway and Denmark maps! Anybody has got them collecting dust at home?

Hey!

Do take a detour to Amsterdam!
    It was the best place where I enjoyed the most!

bring a mess tin and 1 months supply of instant noodles if you can....the cost of living there will burn a hole right through your pockets...
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

Have an enjoyable holiday & phototaking. The Scandinavian countries are really very expensive, so bring lots of travellers cheque ( you have to pay commission to change ) unless you want to bring cash ( you have to take care of your cash ). Bring along your credit cards. When you buy food or drinks, don't calculate or convert into S$ ( you will not be able to eat and you will go hungry). Eat, be happy and shoot.

Better get a leather jacket & gloves to keep warm, get woollen scarf for your neck and woollen head cap to cover your ears. Remember, when the cold wind blows, without proper clothing, the cold goes through the clothings ( five layers also cannot stop the cold).

Wishing you an enjoyable holiday. Remember to keep yourself warm, the cold is really COLD!.

Thanks guys for all the advices..

Anyone has got any info of good and ultra cheap lodging? Is there any network of youth hostels there which i can be a member to enjoy discount prices? I don't mind sharing dorm with 40+ strangers.

And also how about the train ticket? Can i buy those inter-country pass which i can also use for individual country internal railway system?

Goto the coming NATAS fair. got good & cheap deals.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Goto the coming NATAS fair. got good & cheap deals.
    when is it?

Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    when is it?
    can't find any info on the internet.
    It's sometime in mid to late september, in suntec (i think)

If u plan to travel a lot, u can get the eurail pass with some discounts. If only a few destinations, air travel may be better. I'm not sure about air travel, I took the train when I was there.

Get a few dates ready 1st b4 going there with your friends to book your air tix. Try to get a confirmed seat, else really depends on your luck already, esp on budget travel. The cheapest air tix dun allow u to change dates without HEAVY penalty. So make sure u can commit.

can't find any info on the internet.
    It's sometime in mid to late september, in suntec (i think)

If u plan to travel a lot, u can get the eurail pass with some discounts. If only a few destinations, air travel may be better. I'm not sure about air travel, I took the train when I was there.

Get a few dates ready 1st b4 going there with your friends to book your air tix. Try to get a confirmed seat, else really depends on your luck already, esp on budget travel. The cheapest air tix dun allow u to change dates without HEAVY penalty. So make sure u can commit.
    thanks man.

I'm considering whether to buy eurail or just buy ticket at every town i go. Because i couldn't conclude which is cheaper in the long run. And for eurail youth pass is in such a way that one can only travel for 10/15/21 days in 2 months.

I haven't actually plan my itinery yet, but right now i just list down some places that i must visit.

By the way Areality, do you have any lonely planet sweden, denmark or norway book you don't want keep? I'd be more than happy to buy them!

Enjoy ur holidays.

here some info for you to chew on.

NATAS Holidays 2005
    9 September 2005 - 11 September 2005

Consumer Travel Fair where various travel destinations & packages will be promoted to the general public by our exhibitors. Visitors can also purchase travel insurance & various travel-related products. Performing groups will also be brought in by our exhibitors & various National Tourist Organizations.
    Suntec Singapore, Level 6, Hall 601-603

Quoted from
    http://www.suntecsingapore.com/calendar/index2.pl#

Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    thanks man.

I'm considering whether to buy eurail or just buy ticket at every town i go. Because i couldn't conclude which is cheaper in the long run. And for eurail youth pass is in such a way that one can only travel for 10/15/21 days in 2 months.

I haven't actually plan my itinery yet, but right now i just list down some places that i must visit.

I didn't go that high. Highest was Amsterdam. I dun like lonely planet. I recommend "Rick Steve". We relied on that.

the train tix, buying there will cost a lot more than if u buy here. the thing is plan your route 1st. U can buy the 21 day pass (non-flexi), so u can travel anywhere anytime.

Tell u wat, if u wanna know more, we can go for kopi to tell u more. I'm free anytime...

Hi behyx,

i have not gone to europe before but i had done some backpacking in Malaysia. Some of the sites i had used for a hostel search are here; Lonely Planet http://www.lonelyplanet.com/travel_s...rvl_accomo.cfm
    Hostelz Guide (good cos those who have stayed in them do give some reviews and comments) http://www.hostelz.com/
    Hostels.com http://www.hostels.com/
    And backpackers.com http://www.backpackers.com/forums/MjQ4OQ==/MA==/
    The last is a forum. Though it does not seem to be well used.
    Have a good trip. It will be interesting meeting people quite different from Singaporeans. But it would be a memorable experience.

I didn't go that high. Highest was Amsterdam. I dun like lonely planet. I recommend "Rick Steve". We relied on that.

the train tix, buying there will cost a lot more than if u buy here. the thing is plan your route 1st. U can buy the 21 day pass (non-flexi), so u can travel anywhere anytime.

Tell u wat, if u wanna know more, we can go for kopi to tell u more. I'm free anytime...
    Rick Steve? May i know how different is it from LP?
    Ok, i'm a LP fan, because i like the way it present itself, especially where to find the hostel/hotel - very reliable and more than often those featured are one of the lowest priced around..
    Well, personal preference! hehe..

For the train ticket, i read on the papers that the eurail (or scanrail) selling in HK is almost half the price of what u can get elsewhere.. Who can verify this?

Quote Originally Posted by GC1
    Hi behyx,

i have not gone to europe before but i had done some backpacking in Malaysia. Some of the sites i had used for a hostel search are here; Lonely Planet http://www.lonelyplanet.com/travel_s...rvl_accomo.cfm
    Hostelz Guide (good cos those who have stayed in them do give some reviews and comments) http://www.hostelz.com/
    Hostels.com http://www.hostels.com/
    And backpackers.com http://www.backpackers.com/forums/MjQ4OQ==/MA==/
    The last is a forum. Though it does not seem to be well used.
    Have a good trip. It will be interesting meeting people quite different from Singaporeans. But it would be a memorable experience.
    Thanks man, they are quite useful, in fact i use the first link for my backpacking trip in Malaysia/Indonesia!

By the way for those who visited the 3 countries, do you know if the period i'm going 20oct - 18nov is off-peak period or? Where can i check the availability of transports? The last thing i want is the desire to go to a beautiful countryside and find out the train is not running because of the winter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast