Thread: The Most Expensive Countries In The World To Live In - Singapore ranked 8#

Default The Most Expensive Countries In The World To Live In - Singapore ranked 8#

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...ushpmg00000014

Pretty surprised we beat out other Asia Countries including Japan.

Below are the 15 countries with the highest costs of living, according to Numbeo's data. The living costs in each country are measured against a base of 100, which represents New York City's cost of living. For instance, the data show that living in Switzerland is just over 26% more expensive than living in New York City.

1. Switzerland - 126.03
    2. Norway - 118.59
    3. Venezuela - 111.01
    4. Iceland - 102.14
    5. Denmark - 100.60
    6. Australia - 99.32
    7. New Zealand - 93.71
    8. Singapore - 93.61
    9. Kuwait - 92.97
    10. United Kingdom - 92.19
    11. Ireland - 92.09
    12. Luxembourg - 91.78
    13. Finland - 89.68
    14. France - 88.37
    15. Belgium - 87.22
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

Default Re: The Most Expensive Countries In The World To Live In - Singapore ranked 8#

Default Re: The Most Expensive Countries In The World To Live In - Singapore ranked 8#

I don't believe such rankings any more. It's misleading.

I'm surprised Hong Kong is not even in the picture. Must look at what sort of criteria they used to do the ranking.

Just like some previous survey found NUS to be the World's Top 20 universities: http://www.eng.nus.edu.sg/ero/news/index.php?id=85

There are so many other top notch universities in Europe, US and UK which are better than NUS. How could it be the top 20? Look at the criteria they used, two of which are "a university's success in attracting foreign students and internationally renowned academics in the global education market." This comes as no surprise as to how NUS got the ranking!

But there is definitely no doubt that the cost of living in Singapore has increased suddenly and exponentially in the past a decade or so.

I just feel sad when we are being compared with the top 15 listed there. Obviously we arent anywhere close. Maybe we can be a number in the 2nd tier table. When expensive are they referring to? Singaporean feel living standard too high and they couldn't keep up with the cost of living?

Not sure how they measure....they cannot compare Singapore to a large country...they should compare City to City.....e.g. I can eat fish ball noodle at $2.50, chicken rice at $3, roti prata at $1, take MRT per ride to Raffles Place at $1.80, live in HDB 3 room flat that cost less than 200k...try to do that in Paris, London and Helsinki

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Not sure how they measure....they cannot compare Singapore to a large country...they should compare City to City.....e.g. I can eat fish ball noodle at $2.50, chicken rice at $3, roti prata at $1, take MRT per ride to Raffles Place at $1.80, live in HDB 3 room flat that cost less than 200k...try to do that in Paris, London and Helsinki

Try going on the dole or go begging in Singapore then .......
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

It is not country they use.. they are using the state of New York City as a benchmark from what I read in the article. There is a way of scaling it down to a level where they can work a formula to give a true scale of comparison.

Further to your using food, it does not tell everything. For example we pay more to buy the same car here then in USA for example. Same goes for houses or apartment are more pricey here then oversea. I take it when they make a comparison they have to work out from a large number of key purchases versus salary versus versus tax versus big/small ticket items eg.. It's like a golf game with it's handicap system.
    Last edited by sammy888; 24th January 2015 at 02:40 AM.
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

http://www.todayonline.com/business/...city-economist

Gee now another organization is claiming we are ranked #1 MOST EXPENSIVE country to live in heheh....

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    http://www.todayonline.com/business/...city-economist

Gee now another organization is claiming we are ranked #1 MOST EXPENSIVE country to live in heheh....

My reaction when all this thread comes time and time again...

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by Andreq View Post
    I don't believe such rankings any more. It's misleading.

I'm surprised Hong Kong is not even in the picture. Must look at what sort of criteria they used to do the ranking.
    Technically speaking, Hong Kong isn't a country anymore... it's now just a city...

And where is Japan? Probably not in the list because a GTR cost only 50k there vs 400k in SG
    Last edited by Octarine; 31st January 2015 at 08:06 AM.

And where is Japan? Probably not in the list because a GTR cost only 50k there vs 400k in SG
    No, because it's a country and the ranking compares cities.
    EOS