Thread: what is the best tripod $100 can buy

Default what is the best tripod $100 can buy

i have a 350D with sigma 18-200mm lens. that will prob be my longest lens for now. don't intend to get anything longer than that yet. i need a tripod that can hold this weight.

i'm currently using a cheapo $25 2-section nikon tripod with QR. i have mounted my cam on this tripod before. it is stable enough to hold it, but somehow it is not very reassuring.

i will prob bring my tripod wiht me on holidays, preferably be able to stuff it into my backpack. are there any good and cheap tripods out there that will be good enough to provide reassuring hold of my setup?

Default Re: what is the best tripod $100 can buy

prolly u want to camp at BnS and look for 2nd hand Slik tripods(the lower end ones).. they are going for around $100.. alternatively, a new one(able 400dx?) cost around $150 IIRC. quite heavy though..

Think that i have a velbon i347 tripod that's really good for travelling with... it's used (tripod legs have scratch marks... but can sell you for $100... sms me if you are interested... 97706576

Quote Originally Posted by londonray
    Think that i have a velbon i347 tripod that's really good for travelling with... it's used (tripod legs have scratch marks... but can sell you for $100... sms me if you are interested... 97706576

http://www.velbon-tripod.com/maxi.htm is this the one? can hold a max of 3kg? oh and what does 3/4 way head mean?

otherwise bring a monopod

ignore me. relook at ur setup.. quite light as compared.

go talk to chris from CP (tripod section), really knowledgable guy and helpful, wont be out to con you and takes your (present and future) requirements into consideration before recommending a setup. remember, your tripod should last you for years, unlike dslrs, which are fast becoming consumables in the new era...

Quote Originally Posted by rebbot
    otherwise bring a monopod
    Hi there, monopod vs tripod, which makes more sense for shooting in the evening? as, in not bulb mode, up to 4s shutter, is monopod good enough?

i have shot sunrises and sunsets using a monopod with no problems. Its light and can easily be squeezed into a backpack. Its faster to setup with less hassle.

Blog Entries

nikon 3-section tripod w/ ballhead (given as a free gift from the last IT show w/ purchase of a D70)

these were in B&S going for about $70 at that time... not sure if you can get anyone to part with theirs (unless they are upgrading) - but thought that this is a very good sturdy budget tripod under $100 worth mentioning - but a little on the heavy side.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus jACK
    nikon 3-section tripod w/ ballhead (given as a free gift from the last IT show w/ purchase of a D70)

these were in B&S going for about $70 at that time... not sure if you can get anyone to part with theirs (unless they are upgrading) - but thought that this is a very good sturdy budget tripod under $100 worth mentioning - but a little on the heavy side.
    hey thanks man. u think this nikon one is available at CP? or AP?