View Poll Results: Hobby - Photography: Is it ONLY for those with $$$?

Voters
1094. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    415 37.93%
  • No

    647 59.14%
  • Others

    73 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 15 123611 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 289

Thread: Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

  1. #1

    Default Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

    As a hobby, is photography only for those who has $$$?

    1) Yes
    2) No
    3) Others

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

    When I started photography as "hobby", I had only 1 manual focus Minolta and the 50mm lens, no zoom, no auto winder, no flash, no tripod, no nothing...

  3. #3
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

    you don't need to buy the best to get good pictures
    P&S also able to get good results
    You just need to spend time to get to know your equipment
    in fact some award winning images are captured by Prosumer digicams
    and I am not talking locally (international awards)

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

    no, although the extra money to buy good equipments help.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,462

    Default Re: Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

    Hi,
    I started with a cheap and full manual camera.Forgotten what is the name but it was made in germany.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    666

    Default Re: Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

    Quote Originally Posted by joe
    Hi,
    I started with a cheap and full manual camera.Forgotten what is the name but it was made in germany.
    heheheh When I started.... very often dun even have $$$ to develop the Film... Thats when school photographic club comes in handy...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

    Quote Originally Posted by idor
    heheheh When I started.... very often dun even have $$$ to develop the Film... Thats when school photographic club comes in handy...
    yeah. remember those days. And we shoot B&W too, becasue the school photolab can only develop and print B&W. Good old days.

    Still remembered the time I scratched enough money together to buy my first brand new camera, a Canon AE1, but had to settle with a 2nd hand lens, a Canon FD 35mm f2, and then it was one with a breech lock also. Strange enough, that camera and lens are still in pristine condition.
    Last edited by Deadpoet; 31st August 2005 at 10:28 AM.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  8. #8

    Default Re: Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

    No.
    Photography will always be an expensive hobby.
    True to a certain extent.

    When I just started out, I just had a old 2nd hand manual SLR with a couple of lens that i got off a cheap deal from ebay.
    I can always just shoot shoot shoot and not get new equipments.
    It is when you wanna make advancements, wanna open new windows for yourself, then you go out , make a whole lot of purchases and thus the increased cost.

    How expensive photography turns out to be ? It seriously depends on what the hobbyist want.
    Panasonic G3 | Minolta X700 | Minolta X370 | Pentax Asahi Spotmatic | Pratika MTL 3 | Panasonic Lx3

  9. #9
    Senior Member fuwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Woodlands
    Posts
    2,356

    Default Re: Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

    As far as I am concerned, the answer is a definite no. The same for music hifi system.

    To me life is fun with music and photography. Although expensive equipment do help to a certain extend but it is the man/woman behind the equipment that is the most important. I strongly believe photography should not be just rich men toy.

    In those good old days with $650 you can get a Praktica BC1, 50/1.8, 28/2.8 and 135/2.8. This set up u can take very good photos already once u understand the system characteristics. Today on used market u can probably get used mechanical film system for lower price. Not forgetting the Russian systems.

    Of course for those who get hooked and start spending a lot on equipment that is a different story. But for those who have a strong interest in photography but limited budget I do not see $$ as a reason to stop him from venturing into photography. Worst case a M42 mechanical body with TTL metering and a lens like 50/2 or 35/2.8 can do wonders already.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    666

    Default Re: Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    yeah. remember those days. And we shoot B&W too, becasue the school photolab can only develop and print B&W. Good old days.

    Still remembered the time I scratched enough money together to buy my first brand new camera, a Canon AE1, but had to settle with a 2nd hand lens, a Canon FD 35mm f2, and then it was one with a breech lock also. Strange enough, that camera and lens are still in pristine condition.
    yah lor... at that time i still have to fork out 300 dollars for a yashica FX3 and lens... hehehe My school photolab is under the stairccase somemore... Those were the days man

  11. #11

    Default Re: Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

    Photography is generally NOT only for ppl with $$. But its when u meet ppl that changes ur perspective of photography and u begin to buy more then u need, thats when its expensive. No offences

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    311

    Default Re: Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

    I started off with Kodak Brownie....no money for processing & printing
    Things got better, I got a Kodak Instantmatic.....flash bulbs were very expensive
    Broke piggy bank and asked help from father....got $50 for a 2nd hand Canonett RF f1.8.
    School event.....classmates brought Minolta SLR and Canon 7 with f0.95
    I only got "Cannot-net", I got my images as sharp as the expensive camera and I am still enjoying photography.

    I don't agree " Photography: Only for those with $$$?"

    It is the desire of some photographers to have the best camera & lenses, therefore more $$$.

    No $$$ !....get 2nd hand well used camera & lenses, moderately priced, the ones you can afford, now 2 - 4mp Cam still give you great images and you still enjoy photography.

    Happy shooting.

  13. #13
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

    You can shoot with Hasselblad, Leica, Linhof, or Alpa if you have money, lots of it.

    You also can shoot with Holga Lomo, or even pinhole.






    It all depends on you, you decide which way you will enjoy more as a hobby.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Jurong
    Posts
    524

    Default Re: Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

    Go to an astronomy forum site, similar qns like do you need to spend$$ to enjoy astronomy. Bet that the std answer from 'old bird' is NO, they will say that what you need is your pair of eyes or maybe with a starting grade bino is enough... True? Of course.. but really statisfying???

    I remember reading from one website (cannot remember the name, but still can recall that it is some famous popular photographers, at least from the web), that he said he used to demonstrate to his student how he can take a good picture from an old, low tech camera to demonstrate his point..... But you may wish to look deeper and see his arsenal of equipment....

    I think the qn is: to what degree of interest will one then consider it as a hobby? Taking photographs - then no need $$$ (do a google search on one jap website - I think is call Weekend Photogenic, and see - but note that he is already an accomplised photographer!). But to put your passion in and exploit the world of photography - no need $$$?

    I was at Jurong East National Celebration on 9 Aug. There was an old man with a Nikon D1 or D2 series camera (from the shape I think) + a 70-200 or 80-200 lens and also a father (30+) with a Canon ISUS V series type. Both happily shooting away. Guess when they go back, from what angle will they look at the shots they have taken?? I bet photography is one of the old man's hobbies. And I also believe the father will be enjoying the photos taken and the memories he had recorded.

    My opinions:

    Photography as a hobby (my own definition) - YES - you NEED $$$ - much more that you expected when you got started!
    Taking good pictures, enjoying taking photo, recording memories - then dun need much $$$. Like watching meteor shower with your gf, or looking at the moon or Orion,etc with your family/kids

  15. #15
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

    Quote Originally Posted by swhyge
    Go to an astronomy forum site, similar qns like do you need to spend$$ to enjoy astronomy. Bet that the std answer from 'old bird' is NO, they will say that what you need is your pair of eyes or maybe with a starting grade bino is enough... True? Of course.. but really statisfying???

    I remember reading from one website (cannot remember the name, but still can recall that it is some famous popular photographers, at least from the web), that he said he used to demonstrate to his student how he can take a good picture from an old, low tech camera to demonstrate his point..... But you may wish to look deeper and see his arsenal of equipment....

    I think the qn is: to what degree of interest will one then consider it as a hobby? Taking photographs - then no need $$$ (do a google search on one jap website - I think is call Weekend Photogenic, and see - but note that he is already an accomplised photographer!). But to put your passion in and exploit the world of photography - no need $$$?

    I was at Jurong East National Celebration on 9 Aug. There was an old man with a Nikon D1 or D2 series camera (from the shape I think) + a 70-200 or 80-200 lens and also a father (30+) with a Canon ISUS V series type. Both happily shooting away. Guess when they go back, from what angle will they look at the shots they have taken?? I bet photography is one of the old man's hobbies. And I also believe the father will be enjoying the photos taken and the memories he had recorded.

    My opinions:

    Photography as a hobby (my own definition) - YES - you NEED $$$ - much more that you expected when you got started!
    Taking good pictures, enjoying taking photo, recording memories - then dun need much $$$. Like watching meteor shower with your gf, or looking at the moon or Orion,etc with your family/kids
    I donít see how your reasoning the needs of spending lot of money to stay in the hobby stage is valid, does spending less imply of inferior enjoyment?

  16. #16
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

    i bought a tokina 80-200 f2.8 more than 10 years ago and I am still using it.

    If i throw it away now, it would have cost me $80 a year to use it.
    if i throw it away next year it would have cost me $72 a year and so on and so forth
    not really expansive what?

    just don't get sucked into the buy buy buy virus

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    serangoon area
    Posts
    319

    Default Re: Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

    take photos with your eyes and memory, that is free!

    Seriously there r alot more costly hobbies, ie. cars and gambling (if u always lose)......
    photography is not expensive, keeping up with the latest toys is.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

    Quote Originally Posted by joe
    Hi,
    I started with a cheap and full manual camera.Forgotten what is the name but it was made in germany.
    Lecia???

  19. #19
    Senior Member benny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    2,366

    Default Re: Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

    No. I don't think so. But all hobbies will need some money.

    However, I'll say that over here at clubsnap, a lot of folks into photography as a hobby certainly seems to have $$$. They are alway buying the latest gear and also dumping them at a fraction of the price.

    Cheers,

  20. #20

    Default Re: Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

    Quote Originally Posted by joe
    Hi,
    I started with a cheap and full manual camera.Forgotten what is the name but it was made in germany.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    Lecia???
    U mean Leica or Lecia? if Leica, it's cheap meh during then??
    Last edited by destiny_star; 31st August 2005 at 07:09 PM.

Page 1 of 15 123611 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •