Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do i prevent cropping when i send photos for developing?

Default Re: how do i prevent cropping when i send photos for developing?

Ixus does not have 3:2 format.

Rexlim, does DSCN prints fit in a photo album for 4R?

To avoid having important details chopped off by the photo print shop, I usually crop the pictures in Photoshop. I always ask myself too why most cameras manufacturers don't have the 3:2 format. (The old Casio EX-Z4 has, and the new Panasonic FX9 too).

Now, there's no way to print a 3:2 image on a 4:3 paper. I am thinking to work around it by blackening out the top and bottom of my digicam LCD so that I capture details within what will appear on a 4:3 paper after cropping by the print shop.

Some printers are slightly off ratio though. Even if you send in a 4"x6" print, there'll still be some parts slightly cropped off, not sure why..
    eat. drink. shoot

they do not make P&S cameras in 3:2 becos most of the time ppl jsut download into their computers and set as wallpaper. Default monitors are 3:4.

Just reqeust for digital 4R. when you slot it into the photo albums, they are normally white on the background, blends with the white of the borders. just nice.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by bleu
    Rexlim, does DSCN prints fit in a photo album for 4R?
    No, definitely can't.
    You'll hv to buy the album separately(abt $2/36exp album). (mentioned on post #13)

Quote Originally Posted by denn23
    oh, i read about the 4:3 ratio thingie..

i have no idea wat that is all about.
    Do it during framing. I normally give bigger border for the print. So when it crops... save the head.... Digital 4R is new to me. I will ask the lab the next round.

Cheers!

well there are a few options
    1. Digital 4R. I print at fotohub, they call it 4R jumbo if i'm not wrong, so far i have no problem of white boarders when printing with them.
    2. crop it into 3:2 ratio n send for normal 4R print
    3. just tell the colorlabs tt u want 'fit-in' i.e they make sure that they whole photo is appear on the paper. But the downside is, you get white borders at two out of the 4 sides of the photo.

help this helps
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy
    Do it during framing. I normally give bigger border for the print. So when it crops... save the head.... Digital 4R is new to me. I will ask the lab the next round.

Cheers!
    keep me updated

thx

I have the same problem when I send my D70 (3X2 sensor) pictures for 5R (7X5) prints. To print the whole picture, white border has to be left on top and bottom of the picture. Bit of a pain, losing so much of print paper area.

I guess the best way is to crop the picture in 3X2 ratio before sending them for printing.

I am sure lots of other D70 users give their pictures for printing. How do they get around this problem ?

Crop before you send for printing is the best way to ensure you get what you want. One of the software i use most of the time is ThumbsPlus. It has a list of photo size for you to select and crop ... 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 8x12, 10x12, etc... The resize function of this software also lets you set the dpi, in most cases, 300dpi is the defacto standard for print processing.

Before you crop, just make sure you know the size. Most of the shops these days will give u a small slip with dimensions and dpi needed for each different type of print.

Once you are able to do the above, sending to the photo lab is as simple as 1. send, 2. collect, 3. pay.

One thing to bear in mind is this: regardless of whether you are using a P&S camera or a DSLR, post-processing on the computer is part and parcel of the digital workflow and this include resizing, and resampling the image size and depth.

Have fun in digital workflow ... I always enjoy it.

Dan
    http://www.d6-studio.com
    http://www.daniel-maye.com
    Blog
    Finally, the Roots.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12