Thread: Anyone know what is this and where can I buy it?

Default Anyone know what is this and where can I buy it?

I saw the Youtube Music Video and wondered what is the white thing in the MV is? Any ideas what it is and where I can buy it? Very appreciate.

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 6.37.57 pm.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  26.9 KB
    It's fun when we are sharing what we know and learn from each others.

Default Re: Anyone know what is this and where can I buy it?

just a piece of white colour opaque vinyl screen, if too hard to get you can try white colour bed sheet, you just need to have a frame to suspend it, than do a side lighting.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    just a piece of white colour opaque vinyl screen, if too hard to get you can try white colour bed sheet, you just need to have a frame to suspend it, than do a side lighting.
    Thanks so much, I don't know where I can find the opaque vinyl screen one but maybe I will try the bed sheet - sound ok to me.

Blog Entries

just go shopping for fabric
    chinatown? or spotlight if you don't mind paying more

Chinatown..... I doubt many don't know which part of Chinatown....

specifically is at 2nd floor of New Market Road Block 32 Food Centre
    http://www.where2shop.sg/fi10/fi1033...5?OpenDocument

The example used looks more like computer animated. To do that I know of this effect from the old days I was into video EFX and this example vid from the music video was something done to great effect in the ghost movie The Frighteners ( also part of movie's billboard front cover starring Micheal J Fox and Directed by Peter Jackson ( Lord of the Ring/Hobbit fame).

Back then i remember tryign to make this effect for a video production. To make this in real life as opposed to CGI, I recall trying with a rubber latex membrane sheet that stretches out over a frame. Can't recall where we bought the sheet though but it was not for full body EFX but enough to make an effect for a hand moving over it. Think it was like 3 feet by 3 feet. The rubber sheetIt has to be able to expand and contract fast and with as little pressure as possible so no crinkles sets in immediately once the object or person (from the rear) backs off from it.

There were many limitations to get a true effect of a hand trying to come thru and it was blurry in some way and lack details as the sheet forms on the hard tips or edges of parts you rub against it but not every thing just 'behind' it. Thus easier to bring clarity to the details with a CGI. The back side of the sheet has to be smeared with a lubricating gel ..eg to ensure you can rub your face over it and not get friction burn or resistance that will distort the face as you rub about your face.

The trick is to use the right thickness of the rubber sheet also the lubrication so that you do not see any change in the membrane color when a face for example comes into contact with it. Like when you wet a tee shirt in water you see that white tee shirt turns darker or imprint the colour of the object that traces thru.

But doing it this way you can get the imprint look of a head and parts of the nose indentation but you look at the way the example form the lips.. that is too perfectly shaped form the inner to out form. Lips are too soft to resist the tension of the membrane unless it is a mannequin type. More evident is the nipple.

Way easier to do this by CGI at least in the case of the example of the music video. Well you will know what I mean when you experiment with a sheet instead. Have fun.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116365/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    Last edited by sammy888; 21st January 2015 at 07:20 AM.
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    just go shopping for fabric
    chinatown? or spotlight if you don't mind paying more
    I am thinking of White Plain Silk, but not sure... I don't think Fabric can work well?

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    The example used looks more like computer animated. To do that I know of this effect from the old days I was into video EFX and this example vid from the music video was something done to great effect in the ghost movie The Frighteners ( also part of movie's billboard front cover starring Micheal J Fox and Directed by Peter Jackson ( Lord of the Ring/Hobbit fame).

Back then i remember tryign to make this effect for a video production. To make this in real life as opposed to CGI, I recall trying with a rubber latex membrane sheet that stretches out over a frame. Can't recall where we bought the sheet though but it was not for full body EFX but enough to make an effect for a hand moving over it. Think it was like 3 feet by 3 feet. The rubber sheetIt has to be able to expand and contract fast and with as little pressure as possible so no crinkles sets in immediately once the object or person (from the rear) backs off from it.

There were many limitations to get a true effect of a hand trying to come thru and it was blurry in some way and lack details as the sheet forms on the hard tips or edges of parts you rub against it but not every thing just 'behind' it. Thus easier to bring clarity to the details with a CGI. The back side of the sheet has to be smeared with a lubricating gel ..eg to ensure you can rub your face over it and not get friction burn or resistance that will distort the face as you rub about your face.

The trick is to use the right thickness of the rubber sheet also the lubrication so that you do not see any change in the membrane color when a face for example comes into contact with it. Like when you wet a tee shirt in water you see that white tee shirt turns darker or imprint the colour of the object that traces thru.

But doing it this way you can get the imprint look of a head and parts of the nose indentation but you look at the way the example form the lips.. that is too perfectly shaped form the inner to out form. Lips are too soft to resist the tension of the membrane unless it is a mannequin type. More evident is the nipple.

Way easier to do this by CGI at least in the case of the example of the music video. Well you will know what I mean when you experiment with a sheet instead. Have fun.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116365/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    Thanks for sharing sammy888. Those are very great tips and experience for me. And yes, I thought about the same situation when the face contact with it and the imprint is not really sharp (especially the lips and nose, as you mentioned above). I am trying to google it but no results so far; so I guess I need to go out and look for it.

Just to share with you that after seeing the music video, I found it very interesting and decided to try it out for my next photoshoot. I am thinking the title gonna be "Scream", I guess. Don't know it will work out well or not, but I will let you know my experience as well after the shoot.

Once again, thanks so much, I really appreciate that.

No problem.. you will hardly get any information on these or i think it is because we have no real name for the effect so it is hard to search for it.

I use to do quite abit of video special EFX as I was into computer animation, creative pre/ post-production in my past work long time ago. So alot of the effects I came across on screen I would try to do that in my office studio. So spent free time experimenting and reading up a lot of it.

In those days this effect were impressive and done on the early days Silicon Graphic Computers and Harry Suite. It was so much more easier to do that on CGI that hands-on props building took a back seat. Especially when they could do it digitally faster now and with more adjustment options using physic algorithm modules to tackle real world dynamics. In my days, a second worth of animation is at least 24 frames per second. And to render one frame took 24 hours unlike now heh..

Let me know how it turns out.
    Last edited by sammy888; 22nd January 2015 at 09:22 AM. Reason: typo
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

Could be a latex sheet.like a balloon type material

Found something similar mentioned in a blog by childhood educators.

Sounds like it might be lycra, or something similar.

My list of outdoor classroom ideas is far too long to share with you in a blog post, but I thought I would share a few things that I saw at the Great Lakes Science Center and Museum of Natural History in Cleveland, Ohio when I was there at the end of last month.

Name:  082.JPG
Views: 0
Size:  24.2 KB

Look at this great fabric frame! It was in the polymer playhouse. Shiny, knit stretchy material to push your face and hands into…. watch it stretch and take the form of the object you push up against it! Again, so simple, and SO much fun!

Source: http://childcentralstation.com/2011/07/wishlists.html
    Last edited by kandinsky; 26th January 2015 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    Found something similar mentioned in a blog by childhood educators.

Sounds like it might be lycra, or something similar.
    yes, lycra can do this, the material they use for making dancing outfits etc, very elastic, but very expensive too, can be found in Chinatown. and spotlight.