Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inventor forced to close company over patent right

Default Re: Inventor forced to close company over patent right

Quote Originally Posted by terryxyc View Post
    http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2015...ts-and-mindef/

The above link shows the timeline of what happened between MobileStats and MINDEF
    Interesting.

The thing is, Mobilestats claims they dropped their patent infringement claim due to lack of financial resources. But is it also just as possible that they eventually figured their case wasn't strong enough to pursue it further and decided to cut their losses? Otherwise, it's hard to understand why they didn't show up in court to defend themselves against mindef's subsequent counterclaim? If the implication was that the patent would be revoked due to the no-show, that sounds like something you wouldn't want to miss if you strongly believed your patent was valid...

MobileStats dropped claims due to lack of financial resources
    Dr. Mak and Dr. Ting decided to drop its claim on patent infringement after receiving the counter offer by MINDEF as they do not have the financial resources to carry on.

The High Court granted in chambers MobileStats' application to discontinue its suit and allowed Mindef's counterclaim to seek a court order to revoke MobileStats' patent.
    As MobileStats did not turn up in court for the hearing to defend their case, the High court granted MINDEF's counterclaim to seek a court order to revoke MobileStats' patent.
    Last edited by kandinsky; 23rd January 2015 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    The thing is, Mobilestats claims they dropped their patent infringement claim due to lack of financial resources. But is it also just as possible that they eventually figured their case wasn't strong enough to pursue it further and decided to cut their losses? Otherwise, it's hard to understand why they didn't show up in court to defend themselves against mindef's subsequent counterclaim? If the implication was that the patent would be revoked due to the no-show, that sounds like something you wouldn't want to miss if you strongly believed your patent was valid...
    Looking at the situation so far, I have 2 things in my mind right now:

1) If their case is not "strong" enough to begin with, why wait for years? No.. Why did they start it in the first place?

2) BUT, if lack of financial resources is really the problem, then how will small inventors defend their IPs against infringement by big corporations? For example, in criminal cases, if the accused doesn't have financial resources to appoint a lawyer, he/she will be provided a state lawyer, am I correct? Is it the same for patent infringements cases?

Anyone has pointers to the original MobileStats patent? Let's examine it...

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Thanks for the link. 30+ years ago, I saw something similar already in use as BCS.Using a Mercedes 3 tonner. Maybe without the miniaturised equipment we have nowadays.

Thanks UncleFai for the link to the US patent.

Looking at the diagrams & reading the text, I personally feel it is a bit too generic - anyone could have come up with the idea, especially during war time - but then again, if Apple's rounded corner design can be patented (), then I guess that mobile-first aid post is acceptable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SilentSeth View Post

2) BUT, if lack of financial resources is really the problem, then how will small inventors defend their IPs against infringement by big corporations? For example, in criminal cases, if the accused doesn't have financial resources to appoint a lawyer, he/she will be provided a state lawyer, am I correct? Is it the same for patent infringements cases?
    Criminal cases and civil or tort cases are different...

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Criminal cases and civil or tort cases are different...
    So no state provided lawyer for these civil cases ah.. sounds very jialat to me (and perhaps to low budget inventors)..

Quote Originally Posted by SilentSeth View Post
    So no state provided lawyer for these civil cases ah.. sounds very jialat to me (and perhaps to low budget inventors)..
    The patent game favours the rich and powerful... that's the way it is... unless you patent is so bulletproof and the infringement is clear as daylight that a lawyer will say "wow! sure win! I will help you provided you give me a cut."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12