Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Thread: IR Trigger

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,164

    Default Re: IR Trigger

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    or borrow from PBS or other participants there.
    Tried that but the participant is now complaining (I'm still grateful though, don't get me wrong).

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,164

    Default Re: IR Trigger

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    beside the subjust, there are still many ways/sides you still can aim, 1/128 and full power is 7stops, and you still have a omnibouce device......

    or spend $80 for IR trigger....

    or spend $15 for hotshoe adaptor.....
    On a usage level, $15 one-time use seems more wasteful than an $80 IR trigger if it can be use to trigger the SB800 and studio flash... can this trigger my SB800? My objective is to keep it useful after PBS session. No studio.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default Re: IR Trigger

    Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    On a usage level, $15 one-time use seems more wasteful than an $80 IR trigger if it can be use to trigger the SB800 and studio flash... can this trigger my SB800? My objective is to keep it useful after PBS session. No studio.
    Yes you can use it. But I am not sure about the electra ir trigger but the one that is we use before I can confirm we can use it.

    Please read my post to you.
    Last edited by Pro Image; 30th August 2005 at 10:12 AM.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,164

    Default Re: IR Trigger

    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Jeric,

    You can use your built in flash to trigger your SB-800 as well when you turn on the SU-4

    Set it to the lowest power, use either a paper or aluiminium foil to cover your in built flash so that it will not interfere with your main subject. Just cover slightly, not all of it.

    If you really want a cheap IR Trigger which cost below $50 also have. Go to Sim Lim Tower. They have DIY kit on IR Trigger.

    Most IR Trigger in the market (the reliable ones) prices are a little expensive but as reachme2003 has mentioned, reliability is most important. Why go to a shoot when you are fully prepared but your trigger mechanism fail you. You will be surprised how much you can do with an IR Trigger. It's not just for studio usage to trigger off strobes only but aren't you lucky that you can trigger your SB-800 as well.

    If you think a reliable IR Trigger cost is about $150 is expensive, then you are lucky that you are not a Canon user. Canon flashes the 580/550EX cannot be triggered via normal IF Trigger sold in the market except their own ST-E2 (Canon IF Trigger) which cost about $300

    When you have an off the camera flash works for you, you can created all kinds of lighting system. Your very own CLS lighitng.

    Thanks for that input. Planning to do a CLS in the future but at the moment, my objective is to just trigger PBS flash and then keep the trigger where the sun don't shine... I don't mind spending money if it is really useful but at the moment, no CLS plans. I might use it to trigger SB800 but this chance might be once or twice a year so expensive gadget is a consideration, but if I will use it very often, then good quality will be priority.

    SU-4 can trigger SB800 and studio flash? But the pre-flash could be an issue... I'll ask the guy who tried SB800 if he set it to manual mode.

    Anyway, if I ended up with expensive trigger... gonna have a new hobby to play with.

  5. #25
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: IR Trigger

    Guess you have to buy a better IR trigger..

    I use hotshoe adaptor to trigger my studio flash and Metz flash, if I use IR trigger I still need a receiver.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,164

    Default Re: IR Trigger

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Guess you have to buy a better IR trigger..

    I use hotshoe adaptor to trigger my studio flash and Metz flash, if I use IR trigger I still need a receiver.
    Thanks for this input... buying trigger is more difficult than buying a camera or a lens.

  7. #27
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: IR Trigger

    Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    Thanks for this input... buying trigger is more difficult than buying a camera or a lens.
    What I can suggest to you is use your build in flash or sb800 to trigger the studio flash for the PBS workshop. Forget about the IR trigger unless you shoot in studio often.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,164

    Default Re: IR Trigger

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    What I can suggest to you is use your build in flash or sb800 to trigger the studio flash for the PBS workshop. Forget about the IR trigger unless you shoot in studio often.
    I'll ask the 1st batch to try SB800 first. Thanks for all the infos and tips..

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default Re: IR Trigger

    Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    Thanks for that input. Planning to do a CLS in the future but at the moment, my objective is to just trigger PBS flash and then keep the trigger where the sun don't shine... I don't mind spending money if it is really useful but at the moment, no CLS plans. I might use it to trigger SB800 but this chance might be once or twice a year so expensive gadget is a consideration, but if I will use it very often, then good quality will be priority.

    SU-4 can trigger SB800 and studio flash? But the pre-flash could be an issue... I'll ask the guy who tried SB800 if he set it to manual mode.

    Anyway, if I ended up with expensive trigger... gonna have a new hobby to play with.
    SU-4 is a receiver which is built in your SB-800 bro. It's not a triggering device. The IR is your triggering device to trigger the SU-4 which in turn will trigger your SB-800 flash lar.

    Your SB-800 can trigger the Strobes by itself but you must set your camera settings to manual flash mode. Please check again on page 150-151 on your camera manual.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,164

    Default Re: IR Trigger

    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    SU-4 is a receiver which is built in your SB-800 bro. It's not a triggering device. The IR is your triggering device to trigger the SU-4 which in turn will trigger your SB-800 flash lar.

    Your SB-800 can trigger the Strobes by itself but you must set your camera settings to manual flash mode. Please check again on page 150-151 on your camera manual.
    Ohh... I only have my SB800 manual now and it says SU-4 is optional accessory. SO that means there is already one inside my camera. Okay... man, flash is confusing. Will read the camera manual too.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default Re: IR Trigger

    Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    Ohh... I only have my SB800 manual now and it says SU-4 is optional accessory. SO that means there is already one inside my camera. Okay... man, flash is confusing. Will read the camera manual too.
    I am going to take a SAMURAI SWORD TO SLASH YOU......!

    SU-4 is built in on your SB-800, not on your camera. Your camera does not have a built in slave as you do not need a built in slave unit on your camera.

    Hiyo......go back home tonight and go through the manuals again.

    If must, let's meet up! I am going to slash your heart open!!!!!! Wahahahahaha......

  12. #32
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: IR Trigger

    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    I am going to take a SAMURAI SWORD TO SLASH YOU......!

    SU-4 is built in on your SB-800, not on your camera. Your camera does not have a built in slave as you do not need a built in slave unit on your camera.

    Hiyo......go back home tonight and go through the manuals again.

    If must, let's meet up! I am going to slash your heart open!!!!!! Wahahahahaha......
    Do you need a hammer? I got lots of it.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default Re: IR Trigger

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Do you need a hammer? I got lots of it.
    I don't mind. You can joined me to hammer him......

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,164

    Default Re: IR Trigger

    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    I am going to take a SAMURAI SWORD TO SLASH YOU......!

    SU-4 is built in on your SB-800, not on your camera. Your camera does not have a built in slave as you do not need a built in slave unit on your camera.

    Hiyo......go back home tonight and go through the manuals again.

    If must, let's meet up! I am going to slash your heart open!!!!!! Wahahahahaha......

    Haha... oks... lets meet up sometime.. u can be my model.

  15. #35
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: IR Trigger

    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    I don't mind. You can joined me to hammer him......
    Very hard to hammer and shoot at the same time, I think it is better to concentrate on shooting, so can get some better shots.

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: IR Trigger

    Are u referring to this infra-red trigger?

    The Japan-made one cost abt $150, while the China-made one cost abt $70.

    The cheaper solution is a hotshoe adapter, I think cost abt $10-20???

  17. #37

    Lightbulb Re: IR Trigger

    Austin, which brand is china made?

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: IR Trigger

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    Austin, which brand is china made?
    The china-made brand is Jinbei, or Shanghai Jinbei, website here:
    http://www.goldenshell.com.cn/upload...0496998871.gif

  19. #39

    Lightbulb Re: IR Trigger

    there is another one, falconeyes although their brand cannot be found on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    The china-made brand is Jinbei, or Shanghai Jinbei, website here:
    http://www.goldenshell.com.cn/upload...0496998871.gif

  20. #40

    Default Re: IR Trigger

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Are u referring to this infra-red trigger?

    The Japan-made one cost abt $150, while the China-made one cost abt $70.
    any idea what's the spread of the trigger ? gonna be a bummer if the light is behind the photographer and it can't trigger....
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •